Regulated Incandescent Lights!!

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I now own the only three regulated incandescent flashlights/torches known to exist. (Minus the low power versions produced to use regular alkaline cells in a stock body.)

Of the three, two are produced by js and no one else, the Surefire M6-R and the Tigerlight R.

I will be doing a comparison soon, but I can say that the Tigerlight is as well conceived and executed as the M6-R is and probably a more reasonable choice as a production light in it's present guise.

Well built, well conceived and well executed.

I will soon run a comparison of the Tiger11-R and the M6-R, perhaps against the MagCharger60, but I will not have time to do so until the current set of USL's is out the door and I am waiting on more packs to charge adequately.

Kudos to js, and great thanks as well!!

Bill

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
winny said:
Just you wait! The M6-R will have competition in a soon future. :)

Anyway, :popcorn: for your upcomming comparison.

winny, do you promise? I really hope so. In fact, at this point, I'm thinking of bribing people on the M6-R signup list to cancel their orders. I'm just burried in M6-R work. Will you have a rechargeable M6 solution?

Anyway, let me repeat here what I said in SilverFox's thread:

I have only made a handful of TL-R's for the field testers. The design belongs to TigerLight, and may someday be produced if TL is convinced that there is enough interest. Please don't PM me asking if I can make you one of these lights. Instead, email TigerLight and tell them that you heard about the regulated TL proto-type and would be interested in buying such a thing if it were ever produced.

Bill,

Glad you got the package safe and sound! Enjoy your TL-R.

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
jr,

Promise is a big word, but I can promise that I will do my best for incorporating the PIR 1 into SF M6 that school and my metal health allows me to do. I need to talk more with AWR and wquilles about their work on the M6 tailcap but I don't see why it should be impossible.
I don't have an M6 but I do want one. Besides the cost, the lack of an rechargeable option and (therefore) regulated output is what's stopping me from getting one.

I'll keep you posted and try not to steal your threads. :)

Last edited:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
couchplus.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Thor's hammer counts as a regulated light, but as a FLASHLIGHT?

That's a stretch!!

The A2 is #3 of course.

Besides that, I've been begging for a Thor's Hammer board for what, like nearly 2 years now?

Bill

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Less amperage and more fundamental cooperation promotes regulated, harmonic collaboration which can result in higher levels of progress.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
winny,

Please don't mod the SF M6 tailcap! Please! Please don't!

I am honestly completely horrified that AWR and NT can have such a work of art in their hands like the M6 and get all excited about mangling the tailcap and jury rigging some new lamp assembly and boring the body, and so on.

Maybe it's a religious sentiment in me, but I look on a light--almost any good light--and I feel the integrity of the design and the intent of the creators. And I wonder ONLY how to make it better within the organic whole and unity that it is. I do not ever wish to disrupt that integrity.

I remember apprenticing to learn how to tune, repair, refinish, and rebuild pianos, and how there were a few times when my instructor/teacher would non-chalantly make changes to the stringing gauges while re-stringing the piano. He'd decide to move the transition from one gauge to another up or down a few notes or half an octave, and I was stunned. I was thinking about how much work and thought went into the stringing pattern and gauging; about how all of the different overtones and relative inharmonicities of the strings had to mesh together and flow; about all the subtelties involved in this kind of design. And here is some guy blithely messing it up, as if it weren't all inter-connected and integrated. As if the designers had just more or less quickly and arbitrarily picked the guage transistions. Not so. Definitely not so.

I can assure you that a LOT of thought went into all aspects of the design of the SF M6.

Please, winny. Please, make your solution a drop-in solution. Please?

In any case, get an M6 now. With the MN20 LOLA on 6 123's it is a perfectly lovely light. It might as well BE regulated, considering how nice the discharge graph probably is. It stays white and bright throughout the run, and you can easily carry enough 123's with you to last a good long time.

Really, I mean, if you add up the money that people have spent in order to avoid spending money on 123's, you start to wonder. A person can buy a freakin lot of 123's for $100 or $200, right? If someone wants to tinker and experiment, that's fine. I made the M6-R mostly because it was a challenge waiting to be solved. Not because I felt that the design of the M6 suffered so very much from being battery hungry on the HOLA. I don't think it does.

Anyway, good luck and take care!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill,

You're a real sicko for doing a comparison of two lights that are both more or less made of unobtanium, you know that? :devil:

Although, the TL-R could become a production light at some point.

Still . . .

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill,

Also, shouldn't you be including the Mag100R in your list? It's a flashlight, not a lantern or spotlight, and it is at least as available (or more so) than the TL-R.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the Black Diamond Vectra IQ is a voltage regulated production light. I have one, and it can accomodate any 3.7V lamp from BD. It's pretty slick.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
winny,

Just checked out your PIR threads. Very impressive! Great work! Just make sure to take care of yourself and your mental health. Don't burn out. Doing this sort of thing is very fatiguing and difficult. Don't over-do it. People will (or should) understand.

Latest posts