beam shots, current draw, G120, G90, Pathfinder P90

mdocod

Flashaholic
originally the plan was to include a beamshot of another G90 that I have, but it blew moments before the test. The G90 that blew, was from blackrifles, and had probably less than 3 hours total runtime on it- kinda disapointing.

So... first.
The G120 from tradedigit was tested using 4 fresh 123 "titanium" brand primaries. It draws 1.30A on fresh cells, putting it somewhere in the ballpark of 14-15W by my guess. On a side note, when driven by 2 17670 li-ions, it draws 1.185A. the beamshot is done with the lamp focsed as well as I could get it to focus driven by the 4 primaries mentioned.
G120c.jpg

The G90 shown here is the type that says "high pressure xenon 9V" around the reflector. was purchased from Ioak store on ebay in a 9V ultrafire. driven by 2*17670s fresh of the charger it draws an even 1.2A and produces the following beamshot.
HPG90c.jpg

The Pathfinder P90 was purchased from Emilions workbench. Driven by 2*17670s fresh off the charger it draws 1.333A and produces the following beam shot.
PathfinderP90c.jpg

[edit in] these shots were taken at ~36ft distance from the side of the house, all within minuts of eachother. all beams were "focused" as well as I could get them.

Last edited:

Delvance

Enlightened
:goodjob: Mdocod!

To my eyes, it seems the G90 HP has the largest spot, so i think i'll stick with my G90 HP for now, even though it may lose on total output...it is still a very nice lamp. My current focus spot allows for 11000+ lux with fresh cells too. Which lamp was the whitest if you had to hazard a guess ? I can't tell easily from the beamshots.

Goodjob, thanks!

mdocod

Flashaholic
the pathfinder and the G90 are both almost identacle in total output and whiteness.... These beam shots did not come out as well as I had hoped, and to be honest, seem flawed- the G90 actually has a tighter beam (in reality) than the P90, but for some reason the beam shots do not portray this.... wonder if when I screwed in the head, it came out of adjustment a bit... I should point out, that ALL 3 of these lamps appear to have THE EXACT SAME reflector- the only difference in focus would come from screwing/unscrewing the bulb from the reflector, and the length of the filament, (longer filaments, won't focus as tight).

Delvance

Enlightened
Thanks Mdocod! Yeah perhaps when you screwed the bezel back on, it might've mucked up the focusing on one of the lamps. I just looked at beamshot 2 and 3 again, and with three, there is a clear hotspot whereas 2 looks just like a blob of even light. Same whiteness/output roughly, yet GP draws lower current hrmm.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G120's narrow beam comes as a surprise. I owned three G120 lamps; each cast a beam as broad as a P91's--the broadeest of any tactical lamp. It's possible that I hadn't yet caught on to the need to focus, but for an unfocused beam, it was as smooth as I could want.

mdocod

Flashaholic
the "wall of light" effect is destroyed in the image because the center of the wall is very bright, -

I was just tinkering with my Kodak camera- and figured out how to use the manual shudder speed setting, and focal length setting- I am going to try more beamshots tonight, I think I can make these come out better now...