Which Magmod to do?

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
Hello, I'm still fairly new to all this but I think I've got the lumen bug:) I recently got a 24 w AE powerlite and now I need something brighter. I love to tinker with stuff and build things. I've been studying about these mag mods that I keep reading about but can't decide which one to do. All I know is that it has to out throw my 24w AE Powerlight. Run time isn't a great big deal but 20 minutes would be nice. Do I need to start with a mag 2,3 or 6 D cell? I've read about some of the reflector, battery, lense, regulator and switch upgrades but not sure which ones to use? Is there any way I could get a list of parts and a general idea on how to put it together? Also, what is the ballpark $ of one of these? Is there anything else I should look at to learn more about doing this? How easy are these to build? Thanks

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hello Aaron!

These Maglite mods caught my attention too. I have no idea what's what, so instead I bought a turn-key Mag.11|74. The simple "upgrade" I did was with the MagCharger. All I did was purchase the Welch~Allyn 01160 from Litho123 and replaced the "stock" Maglite Rechargeable bulb with it. That was all!

As you may already know, Light-Edge.Com sells the Mag.85 and the parts (I think) for it.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. Can the mag85 out throw my AE? The bulb that they use on that site is rated at 817 lumens, I wonder if you can use a bigger bulb with that set up or if you will need different batteries and other things. I'd like to do the M100r but not sure how stable it would be.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I know that the Mag.85 is Plenty BRIGHT as indicated by personal "seeing" experience and the photos that are posted here on CPF. I don't recollect the Lumen output though. I'm sure the "hotwired" Mag Modders here will respond soon enough.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the hot-wire mods and have more of them than most, but I'm quite sure you will be disappointed if you are looking for a hot-wire mod that will outthrow the AE 24W Powerlight. Look at these great shots done by Kiu and you will see what I mean. If you want something with better throw your safest bett is a brighter HID (a very good deal available here for a Polarion OEM version), or a MaxaBeam.
The advantage of the hot-wire mods is that you can turn them on and off as often as you like, while the HIDs should be used for long continous runs.

Sigbjoern

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
Ok, thanks for the reply. I guess I'll be ok if it doesn't out-throw my AE Powerlight :). I need something kick butt to carry on my dutly belt at work. (security officer). I'm thinking a 2 or 3 D cell. I'd love to have something brighter than my AE but I also want something I can carry and use at work. I do bring my AE to work but keep it in the squad car since I can't really put it on my duty belt. I love showing up the local PD with my lights:) Last week, the college where I work security at bought some crack houses (tearing them down to build a soccer complex). Anyways, we noticed a door broken into and PD came out to do a building search. I had out my AE Powerlight and was lighting up the entire inside of the house and PD had their silly Streamlights. It was funny:) What can I do with a 2 or 3 D cell? 800 lumens or so would be ok. Would the 3 cell be much more lumens than the 2? I like the size of the 2 but if I can get alot more lumens out of a 3 cell body, that'd be cool. Run time of 20+ minutes would be fine. I don't have much for being able to machine anything besides a hone to hone out the body. Would I need special tools to replace any of the parts? I guess I could buy a mag85 from light-Edge.com but I'd like to build a light by myself if its not too hard. Is there a parts list? Instructions on how to build one? Should I go with the 2 or 2 D cell body? Thanks for the help:)

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
If I remember for some of the parts list:

Kiu Socket or Fivemega's Bi-Pin Socket adapter
Replacement Aluminum Reflector (Modamag, Litho123, etc.)
Battery Adapters for use with AA (Modamag, Fivemega)
Replacement Lens—Borofloat would be the choice

Again, a simple one would be to use the MagCharger where all you would need is the bulb replaced with WA-01160 for a runtime of some 30 minutes. Fivemega has a shortened version that'll be coming out soon available in the Group Buys and Passarounds.

—Enjoy!

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened
My turnkey Mag85 kits include UCL lens, your choice of reflector finish, Fivemega battery pack (best available in my opinion), CBP1650 batteries and a charger if you want one.

This is a pretty high end set up for a Mag85. Probably similar overall brightness to the AE PL but no way will it outthrow the AE. Probably 30-40 minutes of run time.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ Aaron1100us and Lurveleven -

Excellent question. Excellent answer.

I didn't know. Thanks guys.

Aaron1100us -

HotWire guys have their own favorites. I've a couple favorite builds too.

In a recent discussion the merits of DIY HotWires was measured against the trouble of finding all the parts and getting a Turnkey light. They both have merits.

For a turnkey, I think LightEdge's deal is good.

Litho123, Bwaites, jauncho and a few others make excellent turnkeys also. Some of the sweetest TKs are made by FiveMega, as CHC mentioned.

I used to think FM was empathic but now I suspect he may be a soothsayer.

Also, hang out in this forum...read some of the history without bothering with the search function. Some of the new guys are very sharp and seem to have no fear. *Ahem* Flakey, Whitehot, pizzaman etc. *ahem*.

Last edited:

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
I'm really interested in the one from Light-Edge but I was wanting to build one myself since I like to do that sort of thing. For now, I'm going to try and learn as much as I can and take in all the great information that I get from you:) I was allmost tempted to buy a mag 3 d cell at walmart tonight but thought I should do some more reading before I decide what to do.

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
I have another question. If I use a potted bulb, I don't have to replace the bulb socket right? And if I use a bi-pin, then I have to replace the stock bulb socket? If so, can the stock bulb socket handle the heat? I keep reading about people using the bi-pin bulbs alot. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to a potted vs bi-pin bulb? Is it easier to build (less parts to replace) using a potted bulb? Thanks

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fivemega has one of these left, a very cool light, but it will cost you much more than the light from Light-Edge.
And here is what you just missed.

Sigbjoern

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
I'm thinking about going with the Light-Edge one. I guess it is not pre assembled so I get to put it together, yay. Sounds like a fun easy project for a beginner like myself. Probably won't be able to get one for a few weeks but I'll try to get some pics posted when I'm able to get it. I figure this would be a good way to see how these are made and then later on, I might try and rig up something myself when I know more about doing this. Can't wait:) Just don't tell my wife, she doesn't think I need any more lights:)

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
Anyone else have any thoughts on this? The Mag85 does look really good and probably the most practicle. But I've been doing some more research and found this "MagDDL150-Starglobe" 150w-20v 4D MagMod on another thread here.10K lumens, crazyness. Doesn't sound like run time would be much. I'm guessing something like that wouldn't be to practicle though right? Is there anything inbetween this MagDDL150-Starglobe and the Mag 85? I've read some about the Mag100r, is that any good? Just trying to make sure that learn as much about all this as I can and see what is all out there. I need it to be usefull but completely insane, brightness wise. Maybe I'm asking too much. Convince me that the mag85 is the way to go. I'm still very new to all this. Thanks

Flakey

Enlightened
I will be doing a write up soon on a Mag623R-4D soon. 4d size 3200 lumens 20 minute runtime. unfortunately the parts for this light seem to be rather scarce at this point in time (by parts i mean the d sized lithium ion raw cells) but i think for a security guard a mag85 would be absolutely splendid! 3d is good size and it will be quite bright, usual setup is 770 bulb lumens if i remember correctly. also 8AA cels in a 2d body powering a westinghouse 6v 35W may be a winning combo, but you would have to buy a 4 bored body. the westinghouse will be about 1300-1500 torch lumens pretty much right inbetween a mag85 and mag100. but runtime on that one should be short. turnkey mag85 is probably your best option. from there you can buy a kiu swich, for lowered resistance and the ability to use bipin bulbs. but again these lights arent designed for throw, much more of a focus on well distributed bright workable light. for a mag85 i would use a light stippled reflector but that is a matter of personal opinion and use. good luck and i hope you enjoy your hotrod mag! best part is REALLY wowing people who think you just have a normal mag hanging from your belt!

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
I almost hurt myself laughing when I read about wanting to build a hotwire to blow the doors off an AE powerlight 24. Especially in the throw department. Because the AE is an incredible performer, totally outgunning most of the hotwires out there. You need a Mag 100R to make the AE look bested. But the runtime is terrible, although you can replace the battery pack for more runtime. 11 minutes is the ball game.

Comes down to it the Mag 85 is an excellent all-around USEABLE hotwire light (around 35W) but will certainly not out-throw an HID like the AE. Every flashaholic should own a Mag85 at some point. Its a phenom lamp, and looks awesome when overdriven. I run mine with 3x 18650s and get about 45 minutes runtime with unparalleled brightness. Fivemega offered a big body light with 3" head and 3x 18650 cells short body power pack that may be re-introduced at some point, and makes the mondo host for the 1185, its what I use and love.

Want to RADICALLY OUT THROW the AE Powerlight? For around $200 get yourself a Lightforce Blitz SL240 spotlight. It has a 100W axial Osram halogen bulb thats good for 800 meters (yards) EASILY. Of course you have to get used to the spotlight form factor, but for THROW it makes all the Mag mods and many HIDs look positively pitiful.... Basically the bulb is the same as the Mag100R, just a 9.5" reflector added to the mix to make a much more collimated efficient use of the light emitted by the wonderbulb. With a waist mounted battery pack, it is a potent superlight. From the AE POwerlight, going to a LARGE diameter reflector w/ big incan is the next major leap upwards that will redefine WOW factor for you....