Nissan Frontier....???

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Ok after several long,hard miles my Tacoma is almost done for. Actually it is still doing fine however I am looking for something new. I was so excited about the new Tacoma however very dissapointed with the looks....to me the new style is just ugly. I really would like to remain loyal to my favorite however the new 2006 model Tacoma is hard for me to like. The interior is very nice but that body style is not so nice.

I drove several others and really like the new Frontier 4X4 with the V6 engine. The truck drove well and the power is really amazing. I have decided to go Nissan and have never owned any other truck than Toyota so I would like any input from any who may have the new style Frontier.

I like the look of the truck and reviews on line all had Nissan on top this year however reviews mean little if you do not know the persons doing the reviews. So does anyone here have an opinion on the new Nissan Frontier or maybe long term results of driving problems....if any??

On a side not I am leaning towards the LE model frontier with leather interior and premium package. Most likely going to be around 27k. If I go with the standard package it will be about 22k. I will only drive a manual transmission and the new frontier comes available with a 6 speed....got to love it as it is rare for a 4x4 to have 265 hp and almost 300 ft lbs of tq all with a 6 speed.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I have the last year of the previous generation (2004). I like it with the exception of the gas mileage - the latest generation actually has a larger engine, more HP, and burns less gas - guess that's what happens when you go from an OLD engine design to a new one

One option you MIGHT want to look at is the Titan. I'm actually sorry I didn't buy the Titan, and at the time, I could have got a Titan equipped the same way my "fronty" is for $1k more, annd it gets the same gas mileage as the old "1st Generation" "Frontys" do

Go over to

http://p085.ezboard.com/btunfs

They will give you the scoop there - biased towards the Frontys, but read the threads, and you should be able to figure out the good and the bad

nirad

Enlightened
I dont know if you like full size thrucks or not but this new full size Toyota Tundra can be seen here . A total rework for '07, Toyota classifies this as it's first "full size" truck.

On the other hand, I have a bud with a Frontier that is a few years old and seems unstoppable. He has had a fuel/emission problem that was covered and corrected under warranty, but no other problems since then.

Good luck on your choice :)

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
I also have a 2004 Frontier, with the supercharged engine. Owned it for a year and a half now, and overall I am quite pleased with the truck. Gas mileage is not great, but I knew what it was before I bought it, and it gets a little better gas mileage than my 1992 4-Runner that I replaced it with. It is certainly much faster than my old 4-Runner.

I've had to do a lot of traveling with this vehicle, one trip from VA to Michigan, and 3 from VA to NYC. It is a very comfortable truck to drive on long trips.

Complaints: I have a little wind noise on the seal of my drivers door at highway speeds. My model does not come with a locking gas cover flap.

Monolith

Enlightened
Depending on your insurance company, owning the Nissan will cost you more than owning a Toyota. Aftermarket parts are much easier to find for the Toyota also.

I used to own a hardbody and all my complaints originated from assembly at the Smyrna Tenn. plant. Off the lot, way out of alignment, paint runs, one of the spark plug wires not connected, etc. I'd like to hear from the new Frontier owners as to whether the quality has improved any over the last 13 years.

Robocop

It seems the new 2006 is an all new design for Nissan and I have test driven a few. I was very impressed as it simply does not "feel" like any truck I have driven. I am going to stay with the manual transmission as I have always had the best of luck with a manual. I have never like automatics however the 6 speed 4x4 versions are very hard to find in the Frontier.

The power is simply incredible and again not what I am used to in a truck. I have really tortured my current Tacoma and will honestly say that Toyota makes one of the most reliable trucks I have ever driven. I regret not liking the look of the new models however the options are also very limited. The Frontier has 4 wheel Disc brakes and can be had with leather interior,sunroof,vehicle stability control and a host of other goodies. The Tacoma still sports rear drum brakes and has no other real convenience options yet costs a little more.

I am hoping someone can give me any input on the long term reliability of the Nissan brand. I believe Nissan is the same as Infiniti as far as engine parts are concerned. I read somewhere that the 6 cylinder Frontier with 265 HP is basically the same engine as in the 350-Z and also the G35 Infinity. It has a few minor changes to better serve the demands of a truck so any impressions of the 6 cylinder 350-Z and G35 may also be useful to me.

I tend to over analyze things and research far too much before a purchase however I need to know all I can when spending at least 25k for a truck.

Thanks for the link KC2IXE and it came in very handy for me. Learned a little on there and never knew the Frontier was that popular.

KingSmono

Enlightened
Robocop said:
I tend to over analyze things and research far too much before a purchase however I need to know all I can when spending at least 25k for a truck.

Haha, I'm the exact same way. I always research the crap out of anything I'm about to buy. Have you checked out this comparison over at Edmunds? I think they have pretty unbiased tests... Plus, they have forums so you can read actual users opinions. You're correct in that the Frontier and Xterra use a modified G35/350Z Engine. It's a great engine from what I read! Hey, another MAJOR plus for the Frontier is that it uses REGULAR UNLEADED... and not the Premium stuff that the Taco drinks.

But, I have to disagree in the looks department... the other day I saw a 4-door Tacoma, with the TRD Sport Package (hood scoop, painted bumpers...etc) and it was gorgeous! I like it much better than the more rugged/boxy design of the Frontier. But, to each his own! Good luck on your decision.

-Allen

yellow1

Newly Enlightened
you're right. nissan = infiniti.

i have a nissan 200sx (2 door sentra coupe), which is approaching 10 years old. actually, i think the 10th anniversary already passed. i'll have to look into that

anyways, no issues to complain about when it was new, but now that it's 10... there's a few things about this car that bug me... like that big crack across the passenger side of the windshield, or the slowly degenerating tranny.

the one nice thing that the nissan salespeople would tell me is the engines would use a timing chain, vs belt... which means, it's one less thing to replace... you might want to check if that's still the case, it's been awhile since i've gone car shopping

Robocop

Thanks for that comparison link KingSmono....I do agree that the fancy sport version Tacoma looks pretty nice with the hood scoop however it still lacks several options and the cost of this version is close to 30k. For some reason the new Tacomas have what seems to me to be very dull paint. It may be my imagination however a recent test drive of a black Tacoma showed the paint to look like a flat black color.

I drove a dark gray Frontier recently and to me this color combo looks beautiful with the black or graphite interior. I do not feel as if the Tacoma is too ugly to own however to me it is not what I expected it to be. The weird fender wells seem to have the same look as the Chevy Colorado however so far I still am slowly growing to like the Frontiers rugged exterior.

The only real reason I am still considering the new Tacoma is brand loyalty. My 1999 model has been such a wonderful truck and believe me when I say it has been driven hard. With almost 150k miles the only thing I have had to do was replace the brake pads and a battery at about 100k miles. Hell I just put new plugs in it tonight for the first time since new. I still drive it daily however the fever has finally got to me and I want a new toy.

I am having much trouble finding the Frontier locally with the 6 speed 4x4 model. I am working with a dealer here to possibly obtain one out of state but for some reason I do not like this idea. He is asking me to basically buy a vehicle without first even driving it or at least being able to see it. Plus if I choose this option it will most likely have at least 200 miles on it when purchased as it will be driven here. Call me picky however to me I feel as if it should be brand new with no miles for the money I will be paying.

Thanks for all the input on this and I will keep you all posted as to what I decide.