Is my digilight a lemon?

blake711

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,
I have some surefires and pentagon lights which are bright nice clean focus and tight beam. I ordered a digilight 1000 to have a look at one of them as I had seen some good comments about them. Man this things beam is awful it has black spots in it and its not tight at all. My wife who dosen't care for my recent flashoholic additiction even said that looks like junk. So is this a fluke I have seen lots of threads of people talking about how wonderful their bulbs are. Well this one gets its rear handed to it by a g2. Does anyone have any beam shots of one or know where I can see a review of a digilight 1000 series to see if this is just a fluke? also the constuction seem ok untill I found a big burr of aluminum hanging off the front bezel where the glass was installed. So far not impressed. I have a Maxfire LX that owns this thing.

CoffeeAchiever

Newly Enlightened
You definitely got a lemon! Contact DigiLight and ask them to exchange your lamp assembly or give you your money back.

I own two DigiLight lamp assemblies, a DRB-9VHP and an RX-9V Range Extender. Both of these lamps project brighter and whiter beams than my SureFire P60 or Brinkman Maxfire lamps. The DBR-9VHP lamp's beam quality is also superior to either the P60 or Maxfire - whiter, larger and rounder hotspot and more even spillbeam. My RX-9V Range Entender throws a butterfly-shaped hotspot with the lamp filament leads casting distinct shadows. However, the rest of the beam is terrific and size and quality of its spillbeam must be seen to be appreciated.

There must be something wrong with your DigiLight 1000's lamp. The fact that the lamp assembly's reflective coating is flaking off only reinforces this.

Get a replacement or get your money back.

blake711

Newly Enlightened
Ok well it apears all I needed to do was look a bit closer. The 1000 series is an adjustable focus light. So its not bad its not as nice as the ones I mentioned but thats not to be expected. Guess I will have to try one of their higher end lights.

mdocod

Flashaholic
i'm not familiar with the 1000 series... so the head can be adjusted for focus?

With many other digilight/G&P lamps, (the ones with the surefire type LAs), the bulb will unscrew from the reflector, and they often have to be adjusted a bit to get a nice beam...

is it a smooth reflector?

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 1000's are very cheap junk lights for the most part. You can find them on Ebay (minus the Digilight logo) for about $10

The only Digilight incandescents worth buying are the T series lights.

Longbow

Enlightened
Chevrofreak, you are sadly miss-informed. What's more you are passing miss- information to CPF'ers as though it were fact. I am familiar with the e-bay lights of which you speak, and they are not similar to the Digilight 1000XB in any way. The 1000XB is a high quality item, a real bargain at $40. I think you owe an apology to Digilight.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Longbow said:
Chevrofreak, you are sadly miss-informed. What's more you are passing miss- information to CPF'ers as though it were fact. I am familiar with the e-bay lights of which you speak, and they are not similar to the Digilight 1000XB in any way. The 1000XB is a high quality item, a real bargain at $40. I think you owe an apology to Digilight.

You care to provide some proof? It looks the same and is built the same, and even uses the same bulbs as a chinese flashlight I purchased on Ebay about 3 years ago.

Everything Digilight sells is a rebadged item from a chinese supplier. They do make a few modifications to some of their lights, such as putting glass lenses in their T series lights, which by the way occured directly because of input by me.

I was told that the reflectors of the 1000 series were upgraded to aluminum over the stock plastic one. They may have been factory upgrades to the light since I purchased mine, so who knows if Digilight themselves make the changes or if the factory did.

Incase you havent noticed, I have direct knowledge and involvement in some of Digilights products. I was a beta tester for them.

Longbow

Enlightened
Chevrofreak I'm impressed! A beta tester! An enviable position to be sure. Yes I was aware of your "beta tester" status back in 2005. Your 2006 post however failed to credit the 1000XB with its bulb, reflector, lens, switch, finish, and machining improvements that Digilight bestowed on the original. You ***-u-med no changes had been made. Your alleged "direct knowledge and involvement in some of Digilights products" is out-dated, thus not germane to accuracy.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Longbow said:
Chevrofreak I'm impressed! A beta tester! An enviable position to be sure. Yes I was aware of your "beta tester" status back in 2005. Your 2006 post however failed to credit the 1000XB with its bulb, reflector, lens, switch, finish, and machining improvements that Digilight bestowed on the original. You ***-u-med no changes had been made. Your alleged "direct knowledge and involvement in some of Digilights products" is out-dated, thus not germane to accuracy.

Indeed I have not been in contact with Digilight for some time now so I have not been given any new info about these lights, but back when I was they were nothing special.

If Digilight made those drastic changes, then good for them. That will certainly make it a better light than the one I am familiar with.

Longbow

Enlightened
Chevorfreak, I haven't heard of hard anodize plans for the Digilight products, but I was surprised that the installation/removal of a spring steel clip on the 1000XB didn't mar it's gloss finish. The T6 sample I have appears to have the same finish......quite attractive. :)

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
About a year ago Jeffrey said they were looking into having hard anodize done, and I think they even had some lights with a sample anodize on it. Looks like nothing came of it though.

That is pretty surprising that it didn't scratch the finish if it is type 2. My type 2 lights get scratches if I look at them funny...