will shock damage a CR123 cell ?

firefly99

Enlightened
Is it safe to use a CR123 cell, if it had been drop before ? As in accidentally, the batteries rolled off the table and fell to the floor. Would the battery be damage by the impact of the fall ?

So far to prevent any incidents, I have not use them in my Surefires flashlights.

What would you folks do ? Thanks.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there,

If... the voltage reads normal then i would use the cells. If some read low
i wouldnt use the ones that read low.

Take care,
Al

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't have a volt meter laying around...

Inspect the batteries to see if they were dented in the fall and look for leaking. If no dents and no leaks, generally they are in good shape.

As far as shocking batteries, Surefires on shotguns and rifles expose the batteries to heavy shock loads and I have not heard of batteries failing in that type of use. People drop their flashlights onto cement with the battery loaded inside and the posts that touch the batteries pinpoint the shock to the negative or positive parts of the batteries. I've never had permanent battery damage from dropping a flashlight.

As always, YMMV and all that jazz....

a99raptors

Enlightened
Hi everyone.

I just dropped my U2 loaded with a 18650 protected Li-ion cell, and it wouldn't register any voltage readings. Then I charged it for a minute, and it worked again.

Might not be the original topic, but I thought I should share my experience of having a lithium cell fail.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
the shotgun SF lights have a rubber spacer between the batteries to keep them isolated... if it wasn't for that, I think SF says it would jack the batteries....

thanks a99 for your comment on the li-ion... Good to know... it must have tripped the short circuit protection.... protected li-ion batteries are so awesome... i personally think of them as more reliable than normal lithiums... since we all know lithiums have that mistery drain syndrome...

my HDS u60 GT can easily get 28 min. out of li-ion protected cells... yes thats right i don't have an XR version... :)

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
jar3ds said:
since we all know lithiums have that mistery drain syndrome...

I thought primary lithiums had the lowest rate of self discharge followed by Li-ion's