I think I just found a grave in my yard...! {w/PICs}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I just found a grave in my yard...! - UPDATED

I was picking up some trash in my yard yesterday, courtesy of a couple of raccoons that live on my property. :mad: Anyway, some papers had blown around and I moved some brush and leaves around to get at them, and lo and behold: a small tombstone!

It is partially broken on the right side, but it has a name and date range: 1849-1911. Sure looks like a gravestone to me. My first impulse was to pick it up to examine it more closely, as it's a flatish marker kind of stone, but I thought better of it and decided not to disturb it. I have no way of knowing if there is in fact a grave underneath the stone, but I can't imagine it just being left there by accident or as rubbish of some kind. I wouldn't want to disrespect this unknown tenant on my property!

I live in a wooded area, but maybe 10 miles from a small city. I've owned my house for only 3 years, and the seller certainly didn't mention this. Do I have recourse? This deceased man seems to be forgotten. Despite my intense curiosity as to the identity/life of this person, I am reticent to bring it up to the local historical society for info as I don't know if I am responsible in some way. I know that sounds kind of silly, but what if I want to sell my home down the road? I would think I'd have to disclose this fact or rectify it in some fashion.

Anyway, what do you think? It also has quite the eerie/creepy factor going for it to a degree. But mostly, it smacks of a piece of history that has lain undiscovered for the last 95 years.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Re: I think I just found a grave in my yard...!

I think you need to find out whether there's really something there before thinking about recourse. However if there IS a grave there, Iyou probably do have a claim against the seller for misrepresentation if nothing else.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow! And no one found it when they built the house? I think there must be a way to have it moved somewhere else. (like the cemetery)

You mention that it was hidden, If the previous owner didn't knew about it in good faith, probably you can't do anything, maybe contacting a museum or local history society could help.

Alexgt

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

If you have a name and date you might be able to get some info from google.

The presence of a marker does not always mean there's a grave. My neighbor has a small headstone in his garage. It was surplus and he thought it would make a good base for a project. I've heard of machinists using them as a flat reference surface.

Having said that... It would creap me out too! :)

Daniel

metalhed

Enlightened

Phaserburn -- I do a lot of family geneaological research, if you PM me the name and dates, along with details of your location, I might be able to find some info for you.

Can't promise of course, but there is probably a census record for the name in question. Can't hurt to look.

Just PM me if you want me to check for you.

Steve

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd maybe poke around with the local churches in the area and see what you can find..

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is there a library in the "nearby" town?
I say "nearby" because in 1911, ten miles was probably a two or three hour journey by horse.
Is there a cemetery in the town?
Newspaper records might give an indication of stolen gravestones, something not uncommon.
Did there used to be a town where you live now?
If none of the above it's probably a private grave and might be of some historical interest. I'd certainly report it.

The gravestone probably stood up at one time. As far as I know flat gravestones are pretty much a product of the modern body snatchers who own cemeteries.

It allows for cheaper maintenance since they can mow right over the marker.
The idea is to sell you "perpetual care" along with your grave as early as possible. The money goes into an account and draws interest. When I worked for an FBS (******* Body Snatcher) he made enough off the interest one quarter to pay all salaries, expenses and buy new tractors to mow with. A bit went into his pocket.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe, if it is an occupied grave, the person is buried with valuable treasures! Hey, this could be the biggest find of the 21st century! News crews and reporters from around the globe might be beating down your door with stacks of money just to get "the scoop"! Fame and fortune, just think of it.... quick, go dig 'em up!

Taylorf

Enlightened

That would definitely creep me out. Keep us updated if you find out any more about it because this is really making me curious, though Im not sure why?:huh2:

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast

Trashman said:
Maybe, if it is an occupied grave, the person is buried with valuable treasures! Hey, this could be the biggest find of the 21st century! News crews and reporters from around the globe might be beating down your door with stacks of money just to get "the scoop"! Fame and fortune, just think of it.... quick, go dig 'em up!

Does TV journalist Geraldo Rivera know about this?
He could be beating a path to your door this very moment. :grin2:

Taylorf

Enlightened

Can you read the name because that might make it easy to find out who the person was. I just typed in 1849-1911 in google and several people came up. None were in Connecticut though.

JPasquini

Newly Enlightened

Phaserburn said:
I was picking up some trash in my yard yesterday, courtesy of a couple of raccoons that live on my property. :mad: Anyway, some papers had blown around and I moved some brush and leaves around to get at them, and lo and behold: a small tombstone!

It is partially broken on the right side, but it has a name and date range: 1849-1911. Sure looks like a gravestone to me. My first impulse was to pick it up to examine it more closely, as it's a flatish marker kind of stone, but I thought better of it and decided not to disturb it. I have no way of knowing if there is in fact a grave underneath the stone, but I can't imagine it just being left there by accident or as rubbish of some kind. I wouldn't want to disrespect this unknown tenant on my property!

I live in a wooded area, but maybe 10 miles from a small city. I've owned my house for only 3 years, and the seller certainly didn't mention this. Do I have recourse? This deceased man seems to be forgotten. Despite my intense curiosity as to the identity/life of this person, I am reticent to bring it up to the local historical society for info as I don't know if I am responsible in some way. I know that sounds kind of silly, but what if I want to sell my home down the road? I would think I'd have to disclose this fact or rectify it in some fashion.

Anyway, what do you think? It also has quite the eerie/creepy factor going for it to a degree. But mostly, it smacks of a piece of history that has lain undiscovered for the last 95 years.

This sort of thing happens every so often in my area of New York/New England. Typically, however, it turns out that the tombstones aren't marking a grave but rather were used at one time or another as a stone walkway. Such as story made the news in my local town a couple of years ago when four or five stones were found, and they all turned out to be "recycled" pavers.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

What if there's a jar of gold coins buried there? I'd say it's yours! (I promise I'll not tell anyone if you make a donation to me! :D )

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd say first figure out if it's a real grave. If so, see if you get a good or bad or whatever "vibe" and go from there. If I had a good feeling about the person I'd let them rest in peace.

Cheers.:buddies:

Edit: Maybe look up the family of the person's grave, see what they have to say.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

PoliceScannerMan said:
Hmmm, metal detector maybe?? This is cool! Updates as they happen please!! :grin2:

That's what I'm thinking also. If there is a grave there, you might pick up th emetal from a belt buckle, eyeglass frames or something else. At least it'll give you a clue as to whether it's worth looking into further.

Monolith

Enlightened

Easiest thing to do is to trace the deed of the land back to that time period (1911) and see who owned the property.

jeep44

Newly Enlightened

Ever see "Poltergiest"?:whistle:

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*

Start digging! Maybe they were buried with their lucky $20 gold piece! Just kidding..... maybe. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.