Battery Junction
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I just found a grave in my yard...! {w/PICs}

Default Re: I think I just found a grave in my yard...! {w/PICs}

You hold a couple metal rods in both hands, then walk around until they start pointing at the ground. Supposedly will find what you're looking for, like water, gold, dead people, etc. No one's actually been able to prove it with a proper monitored test, so I still think it's bull. But heck, if it works for someone.
    Do something alone and it's weird, do it with others and it's a club.

Are they supposed to be ferrous metal? Do they read subtle disturbances in the earth's magnetic field? If they do, wouldn't a compass work also?

Quote Originally Posted by Phaserburn
    The Historical Society just called back and asked if I was familiar with an old story from the area about The Hermit who was said to live in a cave. I told the lady no, I hadn't. She didn't remember any details and didn't know if it pertained to my property, but said she'd take a look when she got a chance, as she was already engaged on another research project.
    The Hermit in the cave! The plot thickens! Curiouser & curiouser!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler
    Are they supposed to be ferrous metal? Do they read subtle disturbances in the earth's magnetic field? If they do, wouldn't a compass work also?
    They can be made from anything, wood, metal, plastic. And they are supposed to be able to locate nearly anything, water, gold, pipes. There is no scientific proof but some people swear by this method. Personally, I think it's useless but I refrain from trying to discourage others, it's a losing battle. I work in the water business and it's amazing how many people swear by these. Suppliers even make some way too expensive rods for the purpose, but bent coat hangers work equally well from all reports from those who use them.
    Here's the Pro version: https://usabluebook-onramp.com/cgi-b...tnum=&password=
    You use two of them, one in each hand about a foot or so apart. Start with them both pointing straight out in front of you. As you walk along, when they move "on their own" and start to cross, you've found whatever you are looking for.
    An alternative version uses a Y shaped rod or branch. You grab the top of the Y in both hands, close to your chest with palms down and elbows out to the side. With the bottom pointing in front of you, start walking. When the point dips, you've found it.
    Last edited by DonShock; 03-25-2006 at 11:07 AM.

I vaguely recall grampaw using one of those on an episode of the old TV series The Real McCoys.

Quote Originally Posted by flashlight
    The Hermit in the cave! The plot thickens! Curiouser & curiouser!
    Wonder if the hermint's name was Dennis Land?

Damn good thread!!

Phaser, I do believe it is time to take off from work, pack some powerbars in your pockets ( and flashlights ) and Goonie it....

Gravesight, old mysterious pump house, and a cave.... dude, what more could you possibly ask for from a new backyard... man - some people have all the luck!

Flashaholic

Default Re: I think I just found a grave in my yard...! {w/PIC}

Quote Originally Posted by Phaserburn
    The Divines moved quite suddenly (re: disappeared) without notice in the early eighties;

Or DID they?

I think your observation that the back of the stone was polished is pretty strong evidence that it was a standing marker. If you don't locate any other bits nearby, sounds like it it was vandalized from a nearby cemetery, or perhaps was wound up there as "scrap" after an engraving error or other cause to replace it.

The vision of two dozen flashaholics setting up a VSS-1 generator-powered short arc tank light ("might need it") , wandering around with dowsing rods, taking beamshots and lighting up a grill is what is TRULY frightening Maybe we could get PK to show up and levitate ( I don't think it's a camera trick!).

You might be able to consult with the owner of a local cemetery or a funeral director for some advice, or perhaps an attorney. I can't believe this hasn't come up before in an area with that amount of history, and there may be procedures for sorting out what's what.

Great thread!

Cheers,
    Bob
    Last edited by BobVA; 03-25-2006 at 01:01 PM.

I realize that I live in a part of the country with a lot less recorded history, and that means that our local historical society is not near as busy, but if I called and told them I had found a partial headstone, I'm willing to bet that they would have someone (or multiple someones!) here within hours, if not minutes.

I'm a little flabbergasted that DAYS later, someone hasn't shown up!

On top of that, this is a potential vandalism case, I'm surprised you haven't called your sheriff or police department to at least report what you have found. I'm willing to bet they would have found who this guy was and where he was supposed to have been buried for you, without you having to do all the leg work!!

That said, this is the most enjoyable thread on CPF, and maybe the most fun one ever!!

I'll nominate it for "Thread of the Year"!!

Bill
    Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.
    Benjamin Franklin

Might be like that buried hatch on "Lost"? What is that button for?
    -"Must control self"-

I've done a fair amount of witching of water lines and copper phone cables, and it works, but I'll be damned if I know why.

There's something to it. I used to think it was a load of bull, but eventually became fairly convinced, though I still can't explain it.

Not to get distracted...However, I thought that there was a mention of pics? Did I find this too late or are the pics to be posted later?

All the very best,

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by StuGatz
    Not to get distracted...However, I thought that there was a mention of pics? Did I find this too late or are the pics to be posted later?

All the very best,

Stuart

The original pics are in post #65 and 102 with several other posts with pics as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigman
    Might be like that buried hatch on "Lost"? What is that button for?
    That must be it! Every time someone forgets to press the button in Phaserburn's pump house, Surefire's quality control goes haywire. Quick, someone get in there before things really get out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by srvctec
    The original pics are in post #65 and 102 with several other posts with pics as well.
    Thank you.

Stuart

Missing Divines, mystery pumphouses, and a hermit in the cave?!?!?

Pilgrimage! We need a CPF pilgrimage! Answers must be found!

We're going to have to start making plans for the CPF exploration party. Who here feels like cooking for the crowd? I'm picturing grilling, maybe with some boiled lobsters or deep-fried turkey. Get a collection together for drinks and beer, too. We'll also need a lights and power detail. And tools and equipment, lots of tools. I figure supplies for a new door would be in order, too.

Now that I think of it, we'll need a stage and a band. Can't have a party without entertainment. Oh yeah, Phaserburn: Do you have bathroom facilities for a large grouping, say 50-100 people? Or should we hire porta-johns?

Quote Originally Posted by BobVA
    The vision of two dozen flashaholics setting up a VSS-1 generator-powered short arc tank light ("might need it") , wandering around with dowsing rods, taking beamshots and lighting up a grill is what is TRULY frightening Maybe we could get PK to show up and levitate ( I don't think it's a camera trick!).
    On the subject of tank lights, get PK to bring his 2005 interpretation of the tank light - the Hellfire that would be SWEET....and portable too, in case you need to go into the pumphouse.
    Celebrating the ROP.. 5 years of history

DON'T go in the PUMPHOUSE.......

Hail Hail!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ABTOMAT
    We're going to have to start making plans for the CPF exploration party. Who here feels like cooking for the crowd? I'm picturing grilling, maybe with some boiled lobsters or deep-fried turkey. Get a collection together for drinks and beer, too. We'll also need a lights and power detail. And tools and equipment, lots of tools. I figure supplies for a new door would be in order, too.

Now that I think of it, we'll need a stage and a band. Can't have a party without entertainment. Oh yeah, Phaserburn: Do you have bathroom facilities for a large grouping, say 50-100 people? Or should we hire porta-johns?

Quote Originally Posted by ABTOMAT

Oh yeah, this may be better than "Shot Show 2006"!! I wonder if we need any type of permits? What about any "paranormal" experts? Can we bring firearms, maybe set up a shooting range? Laser light show would be a must!! Think we can get the Budweiser Clydesdales & the Bud Girls as well? Is there enough room for a really big 3 ring circus type tent? How close are the neighbors again and will all the 4-wheel drive trucks bother anyone if we set up a mud bog track? How many bands do we need to coordinate? I'm thiking we just may need a few BBQ pits for the pigs & cows? First aid tent needed for sure. Hmmm CPFStock 2006!! Dig it! May need to set up a petting zoo for the kids to keep them busy. Is clothing optional? I've got some nudist friends that are interested.

Yeah we can keep it subdued!! This is all ok with the family & neighborhood right Phaserburn?
    Last edited by Sigman; 03-26-2006 at 02:37 AM.
    -"Must control self"-

As long as we are still in the planning stages, charter flights need to be organized from the major hubs, i.e. Dallas, Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, SeaTac and Los Angelas for starts.
    Don't force it...use a bigger hammer.

We really should have dancing...
    The Phaser: A nice EDC with great throw; heat and runtime can be issues.

Best Diffusion Film!

Flashaholic*

Thinking Re: I think I just found a grave in my yard...! {w/PICs}

Well that sounded silly but I went ahead and did a little dance for you.
    seemed kinda odd though.
    Topper

...and don't forget the !

And you could sell admission tickets too!

Oh, his wife will be real impressed..

Don't forget the heavy machinery for the cave excavation.

What about lowering Tron3 into the trap door by his ankles with some chalk, he can do a poll on what he sees...
    Just one more light and my collection is complete! Ok, maybe two..

Flashaholic*

Red face Re: I think I just found a grave in my yard...! {w/PICs}

Quote Originally Posted by Topper
    Well that sounded silly but I went ahead and did a little dance for you.
    seemed kinda odd though.
    Topper
    What a goof,you did'nt mean right now you meant when we come over to dig your yard up
    Topper

*Flashaholic*

At this point all I can say is that if Dennis Lan(?) is beneath the stone, he's gotta be rolling over and laughing his ??? off like me!

Larry
    So much for not being able to find my happy a** with both hands and a flashlight! (Do not look into Tank Searchlight with remaining eye!)

You need a bunch of flashaholics to go out there with you. I've seen enough horror movies to know that you never go anywhere by yourself. If you are by yourself and something does come out of the pumphouse you will trip over every root while running. The slow moving creature will eventually catch up to you at a slow walk while you have been running. Then it just gets ugly.

Great thread BTW.
    Paul
    >|\ ______________
    >| |||||||||||||||||!
    >|/
    Everybody's got a little light under the sun -Parliament

Flashaholic*

Rolleye11 Re: I think I just found a grave in my yard...! {w/PICs}

I watched a few myself. You just need 3 folks with you.
    1 Blonde female (she gets to trip and twist her ankle)
    1 HERO (they get to run back to try and save the Blond)
    1 older heavy set guy you can for sure outrun. (That's just in case IT'S still hungry after the Blonde and HERO sandwich.)
    Or you can wait till we all show up to dig up your yard. Dirt removal might be a slight problem but I think if you live on a "Private" drive that "Nobody" owns we can just use it to raise the grade a few feet and be good to go.
    Might want to give us the names and phone numbers of 5 or 6 folks nearby as some of us may not have camping gear and will need to hook up with a "host" family for say a week or two. Don't worry about me I got camping stuff and as your road don't exsist I can camp all I want with out have to move every now and then. Just relax we got covered I think.
    Topper
    Last edited by Topper; 03-26-2006 at 12:13 PM. Reason: spellin

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast