Converter/Regulator Sticky

wtraymond

Enlightened
I alway see lots of posts asking about converter boards and regulators or asking for recommendations for a next project. I recommend we add a sticky page with information on these PCBs including applications, availability, size, etc...

This will page will give people ideas for project and help answer questions. As it is, I know of only two sources for PCBs - TaskLED and the Shoppe. I'm sure there are more out there!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Some while ago I created this chart for the McGizmo Aleph FAQ ... use it at your own risk, even if the creators of the drivers did have a look:

Converterchart1.jpg

converterchart2.jpg

bernie

wtraymond

Enlightened
Excellent! Now we need to add the new Shark driver, more info on the nFlex and uFlex drivers, CCW3 and CCW5, and the new incan drivers from AWR and winny.

Hopefully we can add info on the upcoming Fatflex soon as well.

Chriss

Newly Enlightened
Hi all! I searching for a constant current driver or help how to build one to my 16x cree led lamp(4x4)!:)
The desired attributes of the boost driver:
Vin:9-12.6V (3 serial li-ion cell)
Vout: 12-18~20V max
Iout:~400-3000mA (continous) dimmable 3-4 step or pot.
Iout absolute max: 6000mA for few sec,max half min.
efficiency: >90%
dimensions: considering this is a mobile applicaton(bike light), i have limited space! So, more than in a flaslight but not much more:)

I know, maybe these attributes will be to much for one driver ic, but maybe with 2 in paralel connection or with external switcher, these are possible...

Builder

Newly Enlightened
Chriss said:
Hi all! I searching for a constant current driver or help how to build one to my 16x cree led lamp(4x4)!:)
The desired attributes of the boost driver:
Vin:9-12.6V (3 serial li-ion cell)
Vout: 12-18~20V max
Iout:~400-3000mA (continous) dimmable 3-4 step or pot.
Iout absolute max: 6000mA for few sec,max half min.
efficiency: >90%
dimensions: considering this is a mobile applicaton(bike light), i have limited space! So, more than in a flaslight but not much more:)

I know, maybe these attributes will be to much for one driver ic, but maybe with 2 in paralel connection or with external switcher, these are possible...

Hmmm, that adds up to, what, 20W and 600 lumens? At these levels, I'd go with a 600 lumen 15W HID! Smaller too!

Builder

Chriss

Newly Enlightened
I hope much more:) based on the coming new Cree 80lm/W @350mA what can handle 1500mA/Led just like K2 :)
Physically my light already exist (temporary with 3x3W cree direct drive) as u can see at my avatar:) and just 75x35x35mm "big"
I just waiting for the new Cree leds and the convenient driver...

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would be good to know the max input current to each driver too. With that info you can calculate if your setup (current to led, and voltage in) will work/be in regulation.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Any more info to be posted. Got to be more in one year+.

I had some experience (brief) with the Micropuck. Now I know the meaning of micro. That little DC/DC device is so small that I burned it up trying to solder wires to it. You need to use dainty solder tips when working with it, and just think about other boards out there that fit in AAA size lights.

Bill

TMorita

Enlightened
Any more info to be posted. Got to be more in one year+.

I had some experience (brief) with the Micropuck. Now I know the meaning of micro. That little DC/DC device is so small that I burned it up trying to solder wires to it. You need to use dainty solder tips when working with it, and just think about other boards out there that fit in AAA size lights.

Bill

One bit of info - the Micropuck can be run in any of buck, buck/boost, or boost modes.

Toshi