New to the forum. Question on SF G2.

Terry M

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone.

I've been lurking for about a week or two and finally decided to register.
I work as a serviceworker for our local water company and am constantly getting myself into dark, dank places. Currently I use a 2 AA minimag with an LED mod for my work. That's ok, but I've noticed that it just doesn't have the throw that I really need. Obviously from reading on here I understand why now.
I'm looking at purchasing the SF G2 as my first "real" flashlight. I think it really matches my needs (for now :grin2: ) Now on to my question. I'm curious. Lots of the work I do is up close work and I see that Surefire sells an optional Beamshaper which diffuses the high output to a wide angle beam for this type of up close work. Now what I wonder is do I really need the beamshaper? If I don't get it, will the light just be to darn bright for me to use on up close work?
I know that I could carry both the G2 for the far away needs and the LED moded Mag for the up close work, but I'd prefer not to.
Anyway, have any of you used this beamshaper on the G2? Is it combursome? Does it impede the quick and easy use of the flashlight?

Any and all comments and suggestions are welcome.
Thank you very much for taking the time to read and answer my question.

carrot

Flashaholic
From pictures I've seen, it makes the Surefire G2 huge and tanklike. You might also want to look into the Streamlight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon (or 2C). Not as sexy as the Surefire, but it has a good amount of throw as well. I'll try and dig up a picture, but no guarantees. :)

Edit: Found what I was looking for.
goodshotoftheg2.jpg

Thread that it came from.
It's wearing a Minimag anti-roll bezel on the back end, in case you're wondering.

Welcome to CPF, Terry Monk, enjoy your stay, and hang onto your wallet!

Anyway, have you considered the 1 hour runtime of the G2? It might not be enough for your purposes. Not trying to turn you off the light or anything, but it might be easier on your wallet to use something with longer runtime or one that is rechargeable. If you don't mind the extra expenditure, I'd recommend a Surefire E1L or E2L with an F04 beamshaper instead of the G2 -- good throw, and also much better runtimes. You might balk at the price now ($80-100 at discounted price), but here most of us consider the price of the E1L to be pretty minimal. And you'll be pleasantly surprised with the brightness (unless you have a tricked-out Minimag) -- they're rated at 25 lumens or so, while the Minimag is rated at <5 lumens.

Last edited:

Terry M

Newly Enlightened
Hey thanks carrot. That's what I was kind of worried about: defeating the purpose of having a small, compact light. What do you think? Will I go "blind" using the light to work up close on water meters, etc?

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings Terry Monk!

Up close and personal can/may have a "back flash" of light in your eyes, especially if you're reading meters in very light deficient areas. But the SF.G2 is a great light to be sure.

Enjoy! :wave:

Terry M

Newly Enlightened
My thanks to you too CHC. I've lots to learn, but this seems like the place to do it.

carrot

Flashaholic
I updated my previous post above with a picture and more information. I'll tack on here that you can save a good amount of cash by buying Surefires from OpticsHQ, as we get a CPF discount -- check "greenLED's CPF Specials" thread in my sig.

And to answer your question... yes, you'll blind yourself. I have read and worked up close with a Surefire G2 before when it was my only good light, and while it is possible to use it very close, your eyes will not like it very much, and you'll see spots afterwards. It's still a great light... but for very close tasks you might as well use your LED-modded Minimag.

Terry M

Newly Enlightened
Alright! You're hooking me up great. You're right, that looks like a freak'n tank alright. I'll take a pass on it.
I'm researching the Streamlight you suggested right now and it really looks like a great light, however, like you said, the "sex appeal" isn't quite the same as the SF. ha!

kendallAA

Newly Enlightened
Terry,

I work as an electronics tech and most of the time i use a flashlight for close up work similar to you. I have to say that the G2 is much to bright for close up work. That is why I'm currently looking at getting a 2 stage light. Right now (while I'm deciding) I'm carrying 2 lights the G2 and the River Rock 2 AAA light from Target. Now that is a NICE little light for $10. I've turned the clip around and put it on the tail cap and carry it bezel down in my back pocket. I don't even know it's there until I need it. You might just get a G2 and see what you think. You wont be sorry you bought it even if next month you are looking for a 2 stage light like the HDS EDC Basic 42 or McLuxIII PD or Fenix L1P modfied for 2 stage functionality. See what i mean it's hard to make up one's mind. I have to warn you though, BE CAREFUL your on the verge of becoming a flashaholic. Have fun!!
KendallAA

Terry M

Newly Enlightened
Thanks kendall. Please forgive my ignorance: 2 stage light? Meaning one that can be used up close and then a diff stage for far away use?

I'll have to check out that little Target light you're talking about. Thanks.

carrot

Flashaholic
I'll just quickly note a slight problem with the River Rock 2AAA. While I have one too, and like it very much, the light it outputs is distinctly blue (a light whitish blue), something that may be detrimental to your work, depending on whether or not correct color rendition is important.

If you buy a Surefire, you will not be disappointed with the quality and brightness, but there are many other good lights to choose from that will hurt your wallet less. Consider the Brinkman Maxfire LX -- it's practically a G2 clone, but for $16 at Target with a holster. Roughly the same brightness and beam, and with a tactical clicky switch instead of a tac. twisty... which is important to some, but not terribly so for me. But you'll find equally compelling reasons to take the G2 over the Maxfire -- it's sturdier and more reliable... not to mention sleek and smaller.

If you've got the cash to spare, I still stick with my recommendation of the E1L/E2L with an F04 beamshaper... but a Streamlight Propolymer 4AA/2C Luxeon and your LED Minimag would probably do just as well for you.

You should know that the SL Propoly 4AA Lux (not to be confused with the 4AA LED) is a *very* popular light on CPF, despite it not being the prettiest light around, and are well-liked for their utility. I have yet to pick one up though, so I'm just spitting out what I hear.

Edit: A two stage light is a light that has two outputs... high and low, but in general the beam characteristics (flood vs. throw) do not change. A few exceptions to that are the Surefire A2 (my personal favorite), the Streamlight TwinTask series (poor man's A2), and the Surefire K2 Kroma (not out yet). If you can afford it ($160, OpticsHQ)... the A2 is definitely the perfect light for what you seem to be looking for.

And do check out the RR 2AAA at Target. For only $10 you can't go wrong, and if you really hate it, you can take advantage of Target's return policy and just get your money back.

Last edited:

Delvance

Enlightened
I'm thinking a two-stage light would be really ideal for you. Maybe a Fenix L1P ? It's a small light but uses a Lux1 emitter that gives it good output for a single AA cell light. Check it out on various CPF threads or www.flashlightreviews.com and look for Fenix L1P. If you wanted more light, maybe one of the Streamlight Twintasks series of lights (the head of the light contains LEDs and a Xenon lamp! And you can choose either mode)...it's basically the poor man's version of the SF A2 =). Or you could get a SF A2 lol if money is no object. Xenons generally have good throw. Some of the Nuwai LED lights also have multi brightness modes ...

There are alot of options, hang around and more will pop up from other members/reading old threads. Welcome to CPF! Lock your wallet up hehe.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Welcome to CPF, Terry Monk, why dontcha stay awhile!

Good advice here, I think a Fenix L1P would be dandy, even without the two stage mod. The spill from said light is wide and usable, and it's at a nice price point. I EDC either the Fenix or a E1e/KL1 with two stage tailcap these days mysel'.

welcome again,
daloosh

nzgunnie

Enlightened
I find I use my 2 stage L1P much more that I ever use my A2, and at something like a third of the cost, and no expensive 123s either.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF Terry Monk!

What you really need is 2 lights. Start with a good head light for the up close hands free work. I personaly like the Petzl Tikka+. Get the G2 for lighting up the workplace when needed. I don't think beamshapers on incans that have burn times of 1 hour is an efficient use of your lumen dollars, unless you go rechargable. Perhaps a E2L with a beamshaper will be better? You get at least 3 hours of burntime out of your batteries and its such a sweet light.

Start with a good head light my friend.

kelmo

OutdoorIdiot

Enlightened
Kelmo:

I'm glad someone finally mentioned a headlamp!

It seems that not a lot of people like headlamps - not as "sexy" as some of the handhelds. But they are unparalleled in usefulness when doing a job that requires keeping the hands free. (I am used to headlamps - my main use for light is when backpacking. I was therefore "brought up" on headlamps).

I would go so far as to recommend the Petzl Tikka XP over the Petzl Tikka Plus. I suspect that one light would be the ideal all-rounder for this purpose.

The Tikka XP has great throw on the momentary "boost" mode, (and still very good throw when not on boost), and then you can slide the diffuser over and turn to a lower brightness level for close-up work. It runs on 3 AAA (i.e. relatively affordable) batteries, and the battery life is very good indeed.

And it's very small, light and pocketable when not in use.

I feel certain it would get the job done for the scenarios being mentioned here, it's all just a question of whether Terry Monk can bring himself to get something as non-sexy as a headlamp.

avusblue

Enlightened
When you're using a light at work, you'll be using it a lot, and you can really go through the batteries. So consider a rechargeable -- and for your needs I'd strongly endorse the Streamlight Strion. The Strion is about the same size as the G2, has about the same light output (especially when working in enclosed spaces), is focusable, and best of all it is rechargeable with a very elegant drop-in charging dock. You can buy it with one or two charging docks to have one at home and one in the car so you're always "topped off". It's my chief "go to" light now, and I find myself using a light a lot more when it doesn't cost anything to run. "Guilt Free Lumens" is the phrase, I believe.

While the G2 is a great light, and is a real benchmark for all-around performance and value, I can't say enough good things about the Strion. I now own several of 'em. BrightGuy carries them and has great service. Good luck.

Cheers,

Dave

tdhg566

Newly Enlightened
If I were in your situation Terry, and could only carry ONE light, it would be my HDS 60XRGT (GT is optional of course). Then I could get any of four (4) light levels as needed. I would run it on rechargable CR123s to minimize long term expense. I find the multiple light levels to be VERY helpful when in enclosed spaces. Sometimes you CAN have too much light (ooops, did I say that?
sssh.gif
)

If you can't do at least a two stage light, consider something like a Fexin L0P (30 lumen) plus any SF (or compatible) 2 cell (60 lumen) light. I carry my L0P around my neck daily, and run rechargable AAAs in it. I then have a variety of 2 or more cell CR123 cell lights at my side at all times.

carrot

Flashaholic
Looks like you have a lot of choices now, Terry. You should read http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews_index/reviews_by_mfgrs.htm for more information about each light... or search CPF about them (minimum of 4-character words, use a * to make a 3-character word work -- "E1L*")

I might also look at the Streamlight Twin-Task series if you're trying to keep a low budget and you want everything in one light. Not the greatest, but another fair option.

The River Rock 2AAA Headlamp is also a pretty nice headlamp for the price... $10-15

Delvance

Enlightened
See, Carrot backs me up in SL twintasks series =). I really do think they'd be very handy for your needs...or the Rolls Royce of the SL twintasks - SF A2.

Alot of people have mentioned headlamps, another great idea...somehow skipped my mind. Anyways, if you don't mind using a headlamp, consider that too.