Gear to help you conquer!

Thread: Spelling and Grammar, I'm impressed

Hybrid View

Default Spelling and Grammar, I'm impressed

I have to say, that overall, I'm very impressed with the high quality of Spelling (yes, even the US Spelling) and Grammar on these forums.

I think it's down to the fact that most respondents appear to be of the slightly older generation.

I've given up on some of the other (non flashlight) forums, due to the inane Spelling, and atrocious Grammar, from the TXT generation ?

It's a pleasure to read some of the posts.

Clear, concise, and clarity.
    Batteries, batteries, I need more batteries ........

Default Re: Spelling and Grammar, I'm impressed

You have not read my post then have you?
    MOLON LABE!

Okay, so a lot of the people from my generation are... typographically challenged, let's say... but that doesn't mean all of us are. I've always tried my best to present myself and my writing with proper grammar and spellling, and so it pleases me as well to see people taking care with their posts.

Those of the (my) TXT generation, as you call it (I like the name!), seem to be lazy and think that "typin lik dis iz 0ky," but in my opinion, it is certainly not. It reduces legibility and clarity, one of my pet peeves. It is rather unfortunate. I hope when my generation becomes old that we don't continue attempt to communicate in such a crude, unrefined fashion.

I agree, this is definitely one of the reasons that makes CPF so enjoyable... and so addictive as well.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Making an effort to communicate clearly and effectively does show that the person is genuinely interested and more importantly, capable of making an effort to do things the right way. As I've always said there are two ways of doing things - the right way and the easy way.

It says a lot for the readership (and posters) here that they do things the right way. It's not old fashioned. Some things never go out of fashion..
    Celebrating the ROP.. 5 years of history

I believe it has alot to do with what we're talking about. In another type of forum where people yap and yap about endless nonsense, the're more likely to type in 'text message type language' instead of trying to use proper english.

i aint got no idea watcha tawkn bout
    it aint like i gotta use no spell chekin or sumptin
    i rite reel good
    b-sides, peple from england tawk funny.....spell funny too (colour, metre - whateverrrr)

dim

Quote Originally Posted by carrot
    Okay, so a lot of the people from my generation are... typographically challenged, let's say... but that doesn't mean all of us are.
    You are a great example Carrot!

I got a reply from a "customer service" person (in title only) from a vendor that sometimes posts here. It said, in part:

"...I don't think I do that, but, whatever."

Any guess as to the age of the writer?

I was on another group and someone hit one of my peeves (to, two, and too). I gave them a gentle correction and got LAMBASTED (the usual excuses, how do you know what his native language is, etc.) until the OP posted back and told them all to shut up as he was trying very hard to learn correct english.

Having related that little story, I too would like to cast a note of gratitude out to everyone here for attempting the task of improving things and not taking the easy (lazy?) path of "l33t sp33k rulz d00d". (You know I actually winced after I typed that).
    "Notorious collector of things that glow, shine, or blink"
    CPF # 9435

Flashaholic

At least my generation will have wireless and laptops with extra large keys to look forward to in our nursing homes...

I tend to misspell words like "toliet", "blub", and "kapeesh"; but I get most of the rest correct.

Words like "to", "too", & "two" are known as homophones - words that sound the same but are spelled differently and have different meanings.

Allow me to demonstrate:

"I went too the beach at to o'clock two lie in the sun."
    Last edited by The_LED_Museum; 03-22-2006 at 01:46 PM.

Carrot is a great writer; you guys should check out his blog.

affect vs. effect, anyone? :cringe:

Quote Originally Posted by greenLED

Ooooh damn, you just hit another of my peeves

Of course some day I'll learn to stop spelling Until as Untill along with others that crop up when I get in a hurry <sigh>.
    "Notorious collector of things that glow, shine, or blink"
    CPF # 9435

Quote Originally Posted by greenLED

Thanks, greenLED.

Affect vs. effect... Their, they're, there. It's, its. Pear, pair, peer. Hear, here... more words that tick me off when they're misused. There's probably more too, but I can't think of them right now.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Quote Originally Posted by magic79
    You are a great example Carrot!

I got a reply from a "customer service" person (in title only) from a vendor that sometimes posts here. It said, in part:

"...I don't think I do that, but, whatever."

Any guess as to the age of the writer?
    I know a woman who speaks english beautifully, she however, types like crap in personal emails and it annoys the hell out of me. She is only one example out of many.

There are lots of intelligent people out there who know what's right but chooses to type in dialect for any number of reasons. It may be easier, more fun, faster, the 'in thing', it may make people think that you're not too smart giving you leverage in some situations, laziness, habit, whatever. Maybe the writer asumed that common language will make communication easier? I noticed you said " customer service person (in title only)". I assume that the person proved themself unhelpful?

Personally, as you can see, my written english is good enough however, yuh shud hear how a does talk. Ah sure yuh go tink dat I ent have no sense. It can be adjusted if necessary depending on the audience.

Over ten years ago, my chemistry techer blew her fuse in class after correcting a test we had. She basically yelled at us and said that people write how they speak (after complaining about the crap we wrote). Back then I thought "what the heck is her problem?" Now, I understand fully her annoyance. The younger generation is getting lazier and lazier every day and even at the university level there are students who still can't write properly.
    Last edited by eebowler; 03-25-2006 at 01:46 AM.

Aoccdnirg to a rcesaerh at Cmbarigde Uneirvtisy, it deson't mttaer in waht oredr the lteters in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the fsirt and lsat ltteer be at the rhgit pclae.
    Just one more light and my collection is complete! Ok, maybe two..