SunwayLED
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spelling and Grammar, I'm impressed

Default Spelling and Grammar, I'm impressed

I have to say, that overall, I'm very impressed with the high quality of Spelling (yes, even the US Spelling) and Grammar on these forums.

I think it's down to the fact that most respondents appear to be of the slightly older generation.

I've given up on some of the other (non flashlight) forums, due to the inane Spelling, and atrocious Grammar, from the TXT generation ?

It's a pleasure to read some of the posts.

Clear, concise, and clarity.
    Batteries, batteries, I need more batteries ........

Default Re: Spelling and Grammar, I'm impressed

You have not read my post then have you?
    MOLON LABE!

Okay, so a lot of the people from my generation are... typographically challenged, let's say... but that doesn't mean all of us are. I've always tried my best to present myself and my writing with proper grammar and spellling, and so it pleases me as well to see people taking care with their posts.

Those of the (my) TXT generation, as you call it (I like the name!), seem to be lazy and think that "typin lik dis iz 0ky," but in my opinion, it is certainly not. It reduces legibility and clarity, one of my pet peeves. It is rather unfortunate. I hope when my generation becomes old that we don't continue attempt to communicate in such a crude, unrefined fashion.

I agree, this is definitely one of the reasons that makes CPF so enjoyable... and so addictive as well.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Making an effort to communicate clearly and effectively does show that the person is genuinely interested and more importantly, capable of making an effort to do things the right way. As I've always said there are two ways of doing things - the right way and the easy way.

It says a lot for the readership (and posters) here that they do things the right way. It's not old fashioned. Some things never go out of fashion..
    Celebrating the ROP.. 5 years of history

I believe it has alot to do with what we're talking about. In another type of forum where people yap and yap about endless nonsense, the're more likely to type in 'text message type language' instead of trying to use proper english.

i aint got no idea watcha tawkn bout
    it aint like i gotta use no spell chekin or sumptin
    i rite reel good
    b-sides, peple from england tawk funny.....spell funny too (colour, metre - whateverrrr)

dim

Yes, I’ve noticed that this site is better in that regard too. I try to create well-written posts, but I am afraid I probably fall somewhat short. I hated English class in school, and now wish I’d have paid more attention. There is no way I could diagram a sentence. Actually, I have doubts about my ability to construct a proper sentence, much less a paragraph. Plus my spelling is poor and sometimes I’m just too lazy to spell check it. Now what I really need is a punctuation checker. Proper punctuation is really hard for me.

While I never particularly liked English classes in school and my grammer and punctuation isn't always the best, I always try to get the spelling right. Misspelled words just seem to stand out. Dictionary.com is a site I visit fairly often.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by dim
    i aint got no idea watcha tawkn bout
    it aint like i gotta use no spell chekin or sumptin
    i rite reel good
    b-sides, peple from england tawk funny.....spell funny too (colour, metre - whateverrrr)
    dim
    What did you say!?

LOL dim. That actually wasn't bad. Thanks to raggie, I understand written dialect much better now though it was tough in the begining.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Turtle
    Misspelled words just seem to stand out. Dictionary.com is a site I visit fairly often.
    Google usually comes up with the right alternative when I type the wrong spelling in.
    Last edited by eebowler; 03-22-2006 at 11:33 AM.

I think this is an interesting subject. I also hated English class and I'll never be a good speller. What I have noticed is that my composition skills (actually the lack of them) used to make me very self conscious about my writing. I still am to a certain extent but the world has definitely changed around me. My writing skills have improved a bit but in the general population there has been a steady decline since I left school.

I've also noticed it in conversation. Vocabulary norms seem to have slipped, too. Sometimes I'm surprised at words that I thought were almost universally understood that only draw blank stares. I've heard others comment on this, also. While I'm on the subject of educational decline, let me mention another thing I've noticed. I have run into high school students who didn't know the difference between Africa and South America! Aside from the boring geography class at school I would have thought that by the age of five or six any kid would know the difference between Africa and South America just from watching TV alone.

It seems really strange to me.

bad Speelers of the werld, untie!!!

I also wanted to mention that in some of the CPF threads where members reveal more info about themselves I've been really shocked to find out just how young some of the posters are here. I read their posts for months and their style and content never gave any indication of their age.

Quote Originally Posted by carrot
    Okay, so a lot of the people from my generation are... typographically challenged, let's say... but that doesn't mean all of us are.
    You are a great example Carrot!

I got a reply from a "customer service" person (in title only) from a vendor that sometimes posts here. It said, in part:

"...I don't think I do that, but, whatever."

Any guess as to the age of the writer?

I was on another group and someone hit one of my peeves (to, two, and too). I gave them a gentle correction and got LAMBASTED (the usual excuses, how do you know what his native language is, etc.) until the OP posted back and told them all to shut up as he was trying very hard to learn correct english.

Having related that little story, I too would like to cast a note of gratitude out to everyone here for attempting the task of improving things and not taking the easy (lazy?) path of "l33t sp33k rulz d00d". (You know I actually winced after I typed that).
    "Notorious collector of things that glow, shine, or blink"
    CPF # 9435

Flashaholic

At least my generation will have wireless and laptops with extra large keys to look forward to in our nursing homes...

I tend to misspell words like "toliet", "blub", and "kapeesh"; but I get most of the rest correct.

Words like "to", "too", & "two" are known as homophones - words that sound the same but are spelled differently and have different meanings.

Allow me to demonstrate:

"I went too the beach at to o'clock two lie in the sun."
    Last edited by The_LED_Museum; 03-22-2006 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jarobi
    At least my generation will have wireless and laptops with extra large keys to look forward to in our nursing homes...
    I'm hoping for voice recognition by then.

Trouble is, the young un's diction and vocabulary at times is as bad as their Spelling and Grammar.

(Some of them, that is)
    Batteries, batteries, I need more batteries ........

Flashaholic*

The keys aren't the problem! If they'd just quit using the small type on the screen, life would be much better

Quote Originally Posted by jarobi

Flashaholic*

One thing is that people on this board, since they are into lights and electronics, are typically more educated than people say, on Rainbow Six type of discussion boards. Flashlights are expensive and not every buck-toothed elementary school graduate would be into it.

Another thing is that believe it or not, since there are more international/multi ethinic composition ofthe fourm brings us a BETTER grammar/spelling trend across the board, since people from other countries who can afford this expensive toys and have internet access and know English probably know English better than a lot of English speaking people.

just a thought.

Nick
    Last edited by 270winchester; 03-22-2006 at 12:40 PM.
    "a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen." -Warren vs District of Columbia, after three women were raped, beaten for 14 hours and police never came after numerous 911 calls were placed

Carrot is a great writer; you guys should check out his blog.

affect vs. effect, anyone? :cringe:

Yeah! Thanx guys for making it easier to learn English for the non-native crowd here ... ... appreciate the efforts!
    bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Quote Originally Posted by greenLED

Ooooh damn, you just hit another of my peeves

Of course some day I'll learn to stop spelling Until as Untill along with others that crop up when I get in a hurry <sigh>.
    "Notorious collector of things that glow, shine, or blink"
    CPF # 9435

Flashaholic*

I have dealt with a lot of people from Germany both verbally and by e-mail, and quite honestly it was starting to get to point where I was able to distinguish the e-mail from some of my German contacts because it was more grammatically correct that the e-mail from their native-speaker counterparts (regardless of whether they were from an Oxford or Webster English country). So from my standpoint, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the comprehension of English from a reasonably educated person from the pre-unification portion of the country formerly known as West Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiessling
    Yeah! Thanx guys for making it easier to learn English for the non-native crowd here ... ... appreciate the efforts!
    bernie
    Last edited by Brighteyez; 03-22-2006 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by greenLED

Thanks, greenLED.

Affect vs. effect... Their, they're, there. It's, its. Pear, pair, peer. Hear, here... more words that tick me off when they're misused. There's probably more too, but I can't think of them right now.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Flashaholic*

"Next to TedTheLeds posts, Flashaholism and that Candlepowerforums is a battery leak stain. Your museum Urine potato, is fine. I'm not kidding. I'm not your light monkey. If you voted against me, hope you noted your reasons. Your anonymous as judges but your still flashlight industry people. I am funning. If your not paying attention, go outside, the Streamlight is real bright."

Ted"Rotten"TheLed

with apologies to Johnny Rotten and his Rock Hall of Fame non-acceptance letter! (available upon request)
    Last edited by TedTheLed; 03-22-2006 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_LED_Museum
    Words like "to", "too", & "two" are known as homophones - words that sound the same but are spelled differently and have different meanings.
    Right you are!

Interestingly, there are some homophones that (I think) we native speakers don't immediately recognize.

My wife is Vietnamese. The other day she emailed me:

"I put my name on the once off list at work."

I was puzzled for a short time. Then it hit me!

She put her name on the WANTS OFF list ! We had a good laugh about that one!

I'm also very pleased with the quality of the conversations here, both the spelling/grammar as well as the general thoughtfulness of the posts. This place feels like a civilized society, especially compared to the annoying and sometimes brusque shorthand of "texting."

Coming here feels like dropping by a cozy lodge and hanging around the fireplace with good company.

Flashaholic*

I have a spell check button on my Google toolbar. So I cheat. Actually I used to be a very good speller, but age has taken it's toll.

I agree the messages are quite readable here. The bad grammar I've seen in some forums I've assumed was due to a lot of foreigners there. I'm probably wrong though. As some have noted, the foreigners do quite well here. Probably just stupid Americans.

I'm not as particular of others spelling as I used to be, as long as the sentences make sense.

I saw an awesome series on PBS called "The history of English" that taught me a lot of interesting facts about the language. It used to be phonetic, before the printing press gave us dictionaries and the "proper" spelling. Before that, writing in English or any other phonetic language was very much like using a voice tape recorder today. Your writing captured the sounds of your speech. Two people with different dialects would spell differently, and quite properly so.

Chaucer, who was one of the greatest of all English authors would sometimes spell the same word differently on the same page.

When dictionaries became common, there came into being the "proper" spelling, no matter how you pronounced your words in your particular dialect.

And then English underwent a profound change and words were pronounced differently. The stupid "dictionary" spelling didn't change though.
    That explains why English speakers pronounce the letter "i" and the letter "e" backwards from everyone else in the world. It's also why we spell rough the way we do. Originally rough had the guttural sound the letters imply. But not any more. So why not just spell it ruff? Chaucer would have.

Flashaholic

I think most spelling/grammar mistakes occur because some of us are using our work computer and are replying between calls and customers and dealing with, well...work. Also, I think sometimes we have several points to make and can't type as fast as we are thinking, so we tend to do a hack job on the keyboard. I feel bad when I click 'submit reply' and then notice that I made a spelling mistake. I quickly hit the 'edit' button. Spelling mistakes are ok, but bad grammar is more difficult to figure out.

Ever wonder why Antelope is "An-ta-lope" and Penelope is "Pen-el-oh-pee"?

English is difficult to learn as a second language, but Vietnamese is damn near impossible!