Spelling and Grammar, I'm impressed

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to say, that overall, I'm very impressed with the high quality of Spelling (yes, even the US Spelling) and Grammar on these forums.

I think it's down to the fact that most respondents appear to be of the slightly older generation.

I've given up on some of the other (non flashlight) forums, due to the inane Spelling, and atrocious Grammar, from the TXT generation ?

It's a pleasure to read some of the posts.

Clear, concise, and clarity.

carrot

Flashaholic
Okay, so a lot of the people from my generation are... typographically challenged, let's say... but that doesn't mean all of us are. I've always tried my best to present myself and my writing with proper grammar and spellling, and so it pleases me as well to see people taking care with their posts.

Those of the (my) TXT generation, as you call it (I like the name!), seem to be lazy and think that "typin lik dis iz 0ky," but in my opinion, it is certainly not. It reduces legibility and clarity, one of my pet peeves. It is rather unfortunate. I hope when my generation becomes old that we don't continue attempt to communicate in such a crude, unrefined fashion.

I agree, this is definitely one of the reasons that makes CPF so enjoyable... and so addictive as well.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Making an effort to communicate clearly and effectively does show that the person is genuinely interested and more importantly, capable of making an effort to do things the right way. As I've always said there are two ways of doing things - the right way and the easy way.

It says a lot for the readership (and posters) here that they do things the right way. It's not old fashioned. Some things never go out of fashion..

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe it has alot to do with what we're talking about. In another type of forum where people yap and yap about endless nonsense, the're more likely to type in 'text message type language' instead of trying to use proper english.

dim

Enlightened
i aint got no idea watcha tawkn bout
it aint like i gotta use no spell chekin or sumptin
i rite reel good
b-sides, peple from england tawk funny.....spell funny too (colour, metre - whateverrrr)

dim

Tooner

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I've noticed that this site is better in that regard too. I try to create well-written posts, but I am afraid I probably fall somewhat short. I hated English class in school, and now wish I'd have paid more attention. There is no way I could diagram a sentence. Actually, I have doubts about my ability to construct a proper sentence, much less a paragraph. Plus my spelling is poor and sometimes I'm just too lazy to spell check it. Now what I really need is a punctuation checker. Proper punctuation is really hard for me.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
While I never particularly liked English classes in school and my grammer and punctuation isn't always the best, I always try to get the spelling right. Misspelled words just seem to stand out. Dictionary.com is a site I visit fairly often.

Geoff

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
dim said:
i aint got no idea watcha tawkn bout
it aint like i gotta use no spell chekin or sumptin
i rite reel good
b-sides, peple from england tawk funny.....spell funny too (colour, metre - whateverrrr)
dim
What did you say!? :rant:

LOL dim. That actually wasn't bad. Thanks to raggie, I understand written dialect much better now though it was tough in the begining.

Flying_Turtle said:
Misspelled words just seem to stand out. Dictionary.com is a site I visit fairly often.
Google usually comes up with the right alternative when I type the wrong spelling in.

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this is an interesting subject. I also hated English class and I'll never be a good speller. What I have noticed is that my composition skills (actually the lack of them) used to make me very self conscious about my writing. I still am to a certain extent but the world has definitely changed around me. My writing skills have improved a bit but in the general population there has been a steady decline since I left school.

I've also noticed it in conversation. Vocabulary norms seem to have slipped, too. Sometimes I'm surprised at words that I thought were almost universally understood that only draw blank stares. I've heard others comment on this, also. While I'm on the subject of educational decline, let me mention another thing I've noticed. I have run into high school students who didn't know the difference between Africa and South America! Aside from the boring geography class at school I would have thought that by the age of five or six any kid would know the difference between Africa and South America just from watching TV alone.

It seems really strange to me.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also wanted to mention that in some of the CPF threads where members reveal more info about themselves I've been really shocked to find out just how young some of the posters are here. I read their posts for months and their style and content never gave any indication of their age.

magic79

Enlightened
carrot said:
Okay, so a lot of the people from my generation are... typographically challenged, let's say... but that doesn't mean all of us are.

You are a great example Carrot!

I got a reply from a "customer service" person (in title only) from a vendor that sometimes posts here. It said, in part:

"...I don't think I do that, but, whatever."

Any guess as to the age of the writer? :)

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was on another group and someone hit one of my peeves (to, two, and too). I gave them a gentle correction and got LAMBASTED (the usual excuses, how do you know what his native language is, etc.) until the OP posted back and told them all to shut up as he was trying very hard to learn correct english.

Having related that little story, I too would like to cast a note of gratitude out to everyone here for attempting the task of improving things and not taking the easy (lazy?) path of "l33t sp33k rulz d00d". (You know I actually winced after I typed that).

jarobi

Enlightened
At least my generation will have wireless and laptops with extra large keys to look forward to in our nursing homes...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I tend to misspell words like "toliet", "blub", and "kapeesh"; but I get most of the rest correct. :thumbsup:

Words like "to", "too", & "two" are known as homophones - words that sound the same but are spelled differently and have different meanings.

Allow me to demonstrate:

"I went too the beach at to o'clock two lie in the sun." ;)

Last edited:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
jarobi said:
At least my generation will have wireless and laptops with extra large keys to look forward to in our nursing homes...

I'm hoping for voice recognition by then.

Trouble is, the young un's diction and vocabulary at times is as bad as their Spelling and Grammar.

(Some of them, that is)

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The keys aren't the problem! If they'd just quit using the small type on the screen, life would be much better ;)

jarobi said:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing is that people on this board, since they are into lights and electronics, are typically more educated than people say, on Rainbow Six type of discussion boards. Flashlights are expensive and not every buck-toothed elementary school graduate would be into it.

Another thing is that believe it or not, since there are more international/multi ethinic composition ofthe fourm brings us a BETTER grammar/spelling trend across the board, since people from other countries who can afford this expensive toys and have internet access and know English probably know English better than a lot of English speaking people.

just a thought.

Nick

Last edited: