Why bicycle shorts are always black ???

BigTwin

Newly Enlightened
It's to hide the chain lube you wipe on them after changing a flat :)

Anyone here rode in the Hotter'n Hell 100 mile ride/race in Wichita Falls,Tx?

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blue seems to be a more common choice around here. The guys I see riding usually have the "sponsor" shirt w/matching shorts.

Arkayne

Enlightened
Because black matches with any of the fancy neon lycra tops they have. You want to look cute right?!

*shrug* I've been biking (BMX and Mountain) since a tot and I'm part of the Anti-Spandex Brigade. lol but I'm one of the extreme riders and wearing black spandex shorts to the dirt jumps or hopping off the ski lift to bomb down a hill will get me beat up.

cosine

Newly Enlightened
Tell -

Cycling shorts are almost always black or a dark color because a dark color minimizes shadows and the subsequent appearance of certain, um, 'apparatus.'

And Show -

blacklycra217vd.jpg

Last edited:

pmath

Newly Enlightened
They aren't! I have blue, green and red ones. Choice of specific colour is urged however other "budgie smuggling" is not so sureptitious.

Peter

rikvee

Enlightened
funny pic, Cosine!

I remember a British Royal congratulating the Olympic rowing team, who, all lined up in a row, seemed way too happy to see her :crackup:

Last edited:

ktronik

Enlightened
For many years all teams had to ride 'black only' cycling shorts...otherwise they could not race...this has now changed, but kinda stuck a bit...

The worst was the 'blue jeans' look...yes it looked like you had a pair of jeans on... :grin2:

Haz

Enlightened
What i find particularly funny about this picture is seeing the 3 cyclist on the right with their faces partially covered by the black line. I normally associate them with criminals, i wonder what this picture is trying to suggest?

cosine said:
Tell -

Cycling shorts are almost always black or a dark color because a dark color minimizes shadows and the subsequent appearance of certain, um, 'apparatus.'

And Show -

blacklycra217vd.jpg