Shipping to France

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay... I'm in rant mode. Since this is not directed to a CPF'er it's not a jeer.
But I would like to see if anyone else has had the same experience as I have.

In the past 6 months, I have had two packages both sent by GPM to
France DISAPPEAR never to be heard from. Two years ago, I also had
the same thing happen but it was airmail.

The most recent one was registered as leaving the US a few days
after I shipped it. http://trkcnfrm1.smi.usps.com/PTSInternetWeb/InterLabelInquiry.do?origTrackNum=lz746291754us

It has been over two months and it hasnt' showed up. This time it was over
$100 worth of lights. :mad: I double checked my records with the recipient
and the address is correct. Anyway, I want ahead and sent replacements
to him at my loss.

I'm seriously considering making France a no ship zone for me. Does France
in general have a grudge against the USA? Has anyone had the same
experience? Keep in mind that I have shipped around 200 packages in
the last 6 months, so this is not always the case, but statistically it
really does show something about the French postal system. :( :( :(

There I had to get it off my chest.

drizzle

Enlightened
Ouch! I've heard of valuable shipments disappearing in Brazil but I'm suprised to see this in France.

What about private services like UPS, Fedex, etc.?

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Oh Nooooooooo ....Foursevens........:(
What a bad publicity for us, poor French ;)

I received more than 200 shipments from Japan, Singapore, USA,UK, Argentina, Australia, etc.....
I have had only one problem from the U.S, when Don sent me a surefire X200 mod, I received only some spare part, but not the light (notice : the package arrived !!) And a package from UK, never arrive...that all.

Sometimes there are huge delay in delivery from FRance to U.S, (max I encountered , 2 month this summer, remembered OSRAM lantern), but all my packages arrived.

I don't think France is an exception... and please don't make us a no ship- Zone !!! YOu never had problem with me..isn't it ?
For valuable product, I use now EMS...quick and tracked registered mail.. but it's about $20.00 each time...I still use GPM for all order < $150.00.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Frenchyled said:
Sometimes there are huge delay in delivery from FRance to U.S, (max I encountered , 2 month this summer, remembered OSRAM lantern), but all my packages arrived.
I think that was my lantern! :D

I've had packages take a couple months to be delivered to France, Scotland, Australia, & Canada as well...so I don't think it's "just France". I wish I knew what caused the slowdowns!! :thinking: :shrug:

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I know, Global Priority stops tracking once the package leaves the US. In order for you to track it to the recipient, you need to send it by Global Express/EMS.. I would suggest that instead of stopping all shipping to France, maybe you could make it compulsory to use Global Express/EMS for shipping. At least this way, you can track where the package is at all times..

Another method is by registered airmail. I believe that Registered mail may be safer than Global Express/EMS as it is a legal obligation on the postal service to track that the item, and if delivered, is signed for by the recipient so that it can provide proof of delivery.

Last edited:

amlim

Enlightened
gregw said:
As far as I know, Global Priority stops tracking once the package leaves the US. In order for you to track it to the recipient, you need to send it by Global Express/EMS.. I would suggest that instead of stopping all shipping to France, maybe you could make it compulsory to use Global Express/EMS for shipping. At least this way, you can track where the package is at all times..

Another method is by registered airmail. I believe that Registered mail may be safer than Global Express/EMS as it is a legal obligation on the postal service to track that the item, and if delivered, is signed for by the recipient so that it can provide proof of delivery.

i agree that registered mail should be quite safe.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
My experience is that FedEx is both faster and more sure than the postal systems.

No grudge matches between postal inspectors as you go from US to ? and back.

FedEx is FedEx and they try harder.

Bill

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello 4sevens,

Bill has a good point about FedEx, but sometimes they are cost prohibitive.

I use Global Express when shipping to France. I have only had 1 package get stuck in customs in Germany for 6 weeks, but it did get delivered.

Tom