Email Paypal Scam

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just received a new email Paypal scam. It said that it was a notification of Paypal Payment to some gaming site for $410 for an Xbox game system. It was was a VERY good copy of a pay pal screen, even down to the warning near the bottom to never go to a direct link from an email. However above that it had a link saying to dispute this payment click here.

What made it even more insideous was the email was Named as [email protected] . Many people would not pay clsoe enough attention and see this name as going directly to paypal as only paypal has paypal.com not thinking it was the NAME of the sender, NOT their address. You can put ANY name you please (even a fake email address) in the optional name section of most email software no matter what the address truly is. Another lesson in NEVER take any given link in any email, this would have taken me to a webpage that looked really real, and would have captured my Paypal login when I tried to logon, it might even have truly redirected me to the real Paypal had I tried so that the person would neve rknown their info had been stolen until too late.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
One good rule of thumb is to never, ever, EVER click on a link in an email message, even if you think or even KNOW the message came from Paypal.

If you move your mouse pointer over the link and then look at the bottom of your email window, it will often show a numeric IP address, like: "http: // 81.21.0.71/.paypal-account/" (***DO NOT*** click on this link!!!)

This is why you should never, ever, EVER click on a link in an email message. :shakehead: