Banggood Network

View Poll Results: Roomie Lovin'...Taboo or not?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's taboo bigtime

12 18.46%
  • No, go for it, it's no big deal

53 81.54%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roomie Lovin'....Taboo or not? *UPDATE*

Default Roomie Lovin'....Taboo or not? *UPDATE*

We've just recently had a new roomie move into the house and, wow...she's very attractive. The first time I met her she had a huge smile on her face as she introduced herself to me, and just last night, I ran into her at the local Starbucks with a friend of mine, as we were all talking, I noticed she seemed to make more eye contact with me then with my friend. I kinda get the feeling she might be attracted to me...I know I'm definitely attracted to her.

I've heard so many people say that getting romantically involved with your roomate is a BIG no-no...honestly I don't see what's wrong with it.

What's your opinion?
    Last edited by LaserFreak; 04-03-2006 at 12:43 PM. Reason: update
    "I live in a constant state of organized chaos."

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Roomie Lovin'....Taboo or not?

A little fling with the roommate is probably not worth the trouble, however you never know if she might be "the one" that you would want to keep.

The downside is- what do you do if the realtionship ends, and maybe ends badly. Does one of you move out?
    Pel. M6 LED, SL TL-2 LED, TL-3 Xenon, Scorpion, Inova X5, SharperImage Luxeon, Gerber Infinity, Petzl Tikka, 2C Mag 3x123 KPR112, 2D Mag 7xAA KPR118, Nuwai QIII, TM115, TM311, 3rd_shift Luxeon 3C Magmod, Solitaire Luxeon, MiniMag MJLED,Mag85, MagLed 2D.

Simple problem really.

Which is easier to find in your locale?

A beautiful, attractive, and (hopefully) interested woman or a reasonably priced apartment?

I suspect the apartments are easier to find.

Lykis 101

This is a tough one. If you are going to have a fling then don't get emotionally involved. If you do and things get ugly.... hoooo boy it's gonna get uuugly. Tread lightly my friend.

EDIT: PICS!!

Quote Originally Posted by bjn70
    A little fling with the roommate is probably not worth the trouble, however you never know if she might be "the one" that you would want to keep.

The downside is- what do you do if the realtionship ends, and maybe ends badly. Does one of you move out?
    Good point. Not sure if this makes a difference, but she lives in a room that was built into the garage...she's got a private entrance, so she doesn't really see anyone at all. If a relationship was to end, I probably wouldn't see her much anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by metalhed
    Simple problem really.

Which is easier to find in your locale?

A beautiful, attractive, and (hopefully) interested woman or a reasonably priced apartment?

I suspect the apartments are easier to find.
    The problem I find with the women here in Orange County (the OC) is that most of them are all caught up in a materialistic lifestyle, and they don't see through to the more important qualities in a person. This girl is from Hawaii so she doesn't fall into that stuck up, materialistic, bitchy OC attitude that is sooo unattractive.

You never know until you try, right?? I'd always tried to stay away from workplace romances, and now I'm engaged to my former supervisor.. ANYTHING can happen...
    I love my Al-PD

Maybe she is just trying to get cheaper rent.
    Light is sweet and pleasing to the eyes....

Heyyyyy, that better not be my cousin! Wait, you said attractive, right? Wrong girl.

I think it depends more on what she thinks of your hobby.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

The odds are very much against such a situation ending happily. It may be different in your case, but probably not. One of you could wind up getting emotionally attached while the other begins to feel trapped. If you're wondering whether this could be your future mate, you should really get to know her well before getting physical. Strange as this may sound, sex can really get in the way of romance if it occurs too early in a relationship.
    Want to buy Tektite and Tekna lights and parts. PM me with what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by nikon
    ...snip... you should really get to know her well before getting physical. Strange as this may sound, sex can really get in the way of romance if it occurs too early in a relationship.
    Probably the BEST advise here. Go slow - go on a few "non dates" - lay the groundwork - when the time MAY be right, explain that YOU want to take it slow, due to the "situtation", and that you are 1)Interested, but 2)don't want to put either of you in a bad spot

What about that "three's a crowd" dealie or being the "fifth cog" and the like?
    LUX'Ottica

I would go for it. I don't meet, well, any girls that are nice and decent. If were to meet one I wouldn't pass it up. Yes the situtation might go bad, but I think I could deal with it, just so as long as if you do break up, she doesn't flip out and do something like burn the place down!!

Quote Originally Posted by KC2IXE
    Probably the BEST advise here. Go slow - go on a few "non dates" - lay the groundwork - when the time MAY be right, explain that YOU want to take it slow, due to the "situtation", and that you are 1)Interested, but 2)don't want to put either of you in a bad spot
    Good suggestion. We've only spoken a few times...she just recently moved in. This is all good stuff to know if and when the situation comes up.

Keep those opinions coming!

We definitely need some if we are to give you much good advice!!

In other words:

This thread is useless without pics!!

Bill
    Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by bwaites
    We definitely need some if we are to give you much good advice!!

In other words:

This thread is useless without pics!!

Bill
    Lol....I'll see what I can do. Don't have any right now.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserFreak
    Good suggestion. We've only spoken a few times...she just recently moved in. This is all good stuff to know if and when the situation comes up.
    Okay, on a more serious note than my previous post -- if you sense she is interested and you are still interested... don't wait for her to make the first move -- she just might be waiting for you to do the same.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

I once shacked up with 5 female roommates, never ate so good in my life.
    My theory, do it now, worry later.
    Just one more light and my collection is complete! Ok, maybe two..

Quote Originally Posted by carrot
    Okay, on a more serious note than my previous post -- if you sense she is interested and you are still interested... don't wait for her to make the first move -- she just might be waiting for you to do the same.
    This is the dilemma that I've dealt with my entire life...do I make the move and take the chance of embarassing myself eg "But you're my ROOMATE!! We can't date...", or do I let her make the move, or not, and take the chance of passing up a good thing? I'm not ordnarily the one to make the move (unless it's blatently obvious that there's a mutual attraction), the past relationships I've had, the female was the one to make the move. I don't know if this statement is a cop-out, but I tend to be more attracted to the ones who make the move...this shows that she has a genuine interest in me rather than me making a move on a few chance glances.

I still think the non-date thing is definitely a good idea. She's expressed interest to the landlady that she wants to know what kind of things there are to do around here...maybe I can offer to show her around without making her suspicious of me wanting to date her or something........

It all depends on where your head is at. And hers. Don't get hung up on advice based on generalizations. Many years ago I used to date a woman I worked with in a place that had a policy that stated that there was to be no employee fraternization. My job was in a very sensitive position (both of our jobs were) and I was concerned about what effect the relationship could have. I ended up talking to my supervisor (who was also her supervisor) and she said that it was a stupid rule and that we all worked so hard and so much that we might never even have the chance to meet someone OUTSIDE of work.

That made a lot of sense to me. Life is short, complex and messy. Don't pass up anything that might be a once in a lifetime relationship. Generalizations are just...generalizations.

In the interest of total disclosure, I guess that this is the place where I should add that my supervisor also happened to be the woman's mother...but I still think that she was right, anyway.
    Last edited by Sub_Umbra; 03-28-2006 at 04:08 PM.

Flashaholic*

My motto... GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!!. In this case it should end go home...alone.

You never know. As someone else said... she could be your missing link to complete your chain... so to speak.

Curtis.
    -- CUE

We need beamshots!!!!

EDIT: LOL! WTF!!!! Wrong thread! H a ha ha ha

Honestly I was trying to post elsewhere but don't know how I posted here by mistake, go out for a while and see what happens, remember that the good ones are like PD's on BST, they dont last long!!!
    Last edited by AlexGT; 03-28-2006 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexGT
    We need beamshots!!!!

EDIT: LOL! WTF!!!! Wrong thread! H a ha ha ha

Honestly I was trying to post elsewhere but don't know how I posted here by mistake, go out for a while and see what happens, remember that the good ones are like PD's on BST, they dont last long!!!
    LMAO!!! I was gonna say, exactly what KIND of beamshots are we talking about here? I could get a shot of the headlights, but I don't think the beams are too visible!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexGT
    We need boobshots!!!!
    FIXED

Pydpiper said:
    I once shacked up with 5 female roommates, never ate so good in my life.

I'll bet the food was good too....

Quote Originally Posted by metalhed
    I'll bet the food was good too....
    Hahaha!! Okay guys, let's keep this clean...I know I contributed, but we're starting to go in the wrong direction. I still want opinions and votes on this so let's try not to get this thread closed.

Whoa, only spoken to her a few times and considering dating her? Get to know her first! Ask her out for coffee or something, you already know she goes to Starbucks. Ask her if she wants to carpool with you while grocery shopping(don't laugh, this works) or make dinner for her. This is like going into a laboratory and mixing beakers of random chemicals together. You might get something stable, or you might lift the roof off. Good luck!

Cheers.

Dating the roomate is usually bad juju, even if you think that you would not see each other that much if it ended badly, still not good idea. You would find this out about the FIRST time you brought another girl over after you and the roomie broke it off.

If you are going to try and do it, I would lay back for a while, she's not going anywhere - she's a roomate. This is the perfect time to sit back and observe, see her little habbits, interests, and demeanor without actually commiting your time.... this alows you to see if you are compatable before you jump in. If she is cool peeps you can make yourself more available or move in ( knowing that the cosequences are still possibly there ) or if she turns out to be psycho - you can say " Damn, that was a close one " and then look elsewhere, without being caught up in the drama that I can assure you, you do not want.

Quote Originally Posted by uz2busmc
    Dating the roomate is usually bad juju, even if you think that you would not see each other that much if it ended badly, still not good idea. You would find this out about the FIRST time you brought another girl over after you and the roomie broke it off.

If you are going to try and do it, I would lay back for a while, she's not going anywhere - she's a roomate. This is the perfect time to sit back and observe, see her little habbits, interests, and demeanor without actually commiting your time.... this alows you to see if you are compatable before you jump in. If she is cool peeps you can make yourself more available or move in ( knowing that the cosequences are still possibly there ) or if she turns out to be psycho - you can say " Damn, that was a close one " and then look elsewhere, without being caught up in the drama that I can assure you, you do not want.
    Hmmm....another good point. She seems like good peeps for now...then again, I've only spoken to her twice. If I decide to test the waters, though, being that she's new in town, I don't want to lose my chance, if there is, in fact, a chance.

I wish finding someone special was easier...none of this game playing and guessing BS.

One thing is for sure..I'm definitely going to try to get to know her better. She wants to check out the association clubhouse, but in order for her to get in, she's either got to wait for two pieces of mail to come to her (to just prove her residence at the address), or she can simply ask me to sign her in as a guest.

I'm hoping she asks me to get her in soon..........