Roomie Lovin'...Taboo or not?

• Yes, it's taboo bigtime

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • No, go for it, it's no big deal

Votes: 53 81.5%

• Total voters

LaserFreak

Enlightened
We've just recently had a new roomie move into the house and, wow...she's very attractive. The first time I met her she had a huge smile on her face as she introduced herself to me, and just last night, I ran into her at the local Starbucks with a friend of mine, as we were all talking, I noticed she seemed to make more eye contact with me then with my friend. I kinda get the feeling she might be attracted to me...I know I'm definitely attracted to her.

I've heard so many people say that getting romantically involved with your roomate is a BIG no-no...honestly I don't see what's wrong with it.

What's your opinion?

Last edited:

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Roomie Lovin'....Taboo or not?

A little fling with the roommate is probably not worth the trouble, however you never know if she might be "the one" that you would want to keep.

The downside is- what do you do if the realtionship ends, and maybe ends badly. Does one of you move out?

metalhed

Enlightened

Simple problem really.

Which is easier to find in your locale?

A beautiful, attractive, and (hopefully) interested woman or a reasonably priced apartment?

I suspect the apartments are easier to find. :devil:

Arkayne

Enlightened

Lykis 101

This is a tough one. If you are going to have a fling then don't get emotionally involved. If you do and things get ugly.... hoooo boy it's gonna get uuugly. Tread lightly my friend.

EDIT: PICS!!

LaserFreak

Enlightened

bjn70 said:
A little fling with the roommate is probably not worth the trouble, however you never know if she might be "the one" that you would want to keep.

The downside is- what do you do if the realtionship ends, and maybe ends badly. Does one of you move out?

Good point. Not sure if this makes a difference, but she lives in a room that was built into the garage...she's got a private entrance, so she doesn't really see anyone at all. If a relationship was to end, I probably wouldn't see her much anyway.

LaserFreak

Enlightened

metalhed said:
Simple problem really.

Which is easier to find in your locale?

A beautiful, attractive, and (hopefully) interested woman or a reasonably priced apartment?

I suspect the apartments are easier to find. :devil:

The problem I find with the women here in Orange County (the OC) is that most of them are all caught up in a materialistic lifestyle, and they don't see through to the more important qualities in a person. This girl is from Hawaii so she doesn't fall into that stuck up, materialistic, bitchy OC attitude that is sooo unattractive.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

You never know until you try, right?? I'd always tried to stay away from workplace romances, and now I'm engaged to my former supervisor.. ANYTHING can happen...

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe she is just trying to get cheaper rent.

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened

Heyyyyy, that better not be my cousin! Wait, you said attractive, right? Wrong girl. :lolsign:

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast

The odds are very much against such a situation ending happily. It may be different in your case, but probably not. One of you could wind up getting emotionally attached while the other begins to feel trapped. If you're wondering whether this could be your future mate, you should really get to know her well before getting physical. Strange as this may sound, sex can really get in the way of romance if it occurs too early in a relationship.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

nikon said:
...snip... you should really get to know her well before getting physical. Strange as this may sound, sex can really get in the way of romance if it occurs too early in a relationship.

Probably the BEST advise here. Go slow - go on a few "non dates" - lay the groundwork - when the time MAY be right, explain that YOU want to take it slow, due to the "situtation", and that you are 1)Interested, but 2)don't want to put either of you in a bad spot

CLHC

Flashaholic

What about that "three's a crowd" dealie or being the "fifth cog" and the like? :huh:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would go for it. I don't meet, well, any girls that are nice and decent. If were to meet one I wouldn't pass it up. Yes the situtation might go bad, but I think I could deal with it, just so as long as if you do break up, she doesn't flip out and do something like burn the place down!! :)

LaserFreak

Enlightened

KC2IXE said:
Probably the BEST advise here. Go slow - go on a few "non dates" - lay the groundwork - when the time MAY be right, explain that YOU want to take it slow, due to the "situtation", and that you are 1)Interested, but 2)don't want to put either of you in a bad spot

Good suggestion. We've only spoken a few times...she just recently moved in. This is all good stuff to know if and when the situation comes up.

Keep those opinions coming!

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

We definitely need some :kewlpics: if we are to give you much good advice!!

In other words:

This thread is useless without pics!!:grin2:

Bill

LaserFreak

Enlightened

bwaites said:
We definitely need some :kewlpics: if we are to give you much good advice!!

In other words:

This thread is useless without pics!!:grin2:

Bill

Lol....I'll see what I can do. Don't have any right now.

carrot

Flashaholic

LaserFreak said:
Good suggestion. We've only spoken a few times...she just recently moved in. This is all good stuff to know if and when the situation comes up.
Okay, on a more serious note than my previous post -- if you sense she is interested and you are still interested... don't wait for her to make the first move -- she just might be waiting for you to do the same.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast

I once shacked up with 5 female roommates, never ate so good in my life.
My theory, do it now, worry later. :)

LaserFreak

Enlightened

carrot said:
Okay, on a more serious note than my previous post -- if you sense she is interested and you are still interested... don't wait for her to make the first move -- she just might be waiting for you to do the same.

This is the dilemma that I've dealt with my entire life...do I make the move and take the chance of embarassing myself eg "But you're my ROOMATE!! We can't date...", or do I let her make the move, or not, and take the chance of passing up a good thing? I'm not ordnarily the one to make the move (unless it's blatently obvious that there's a mutual attraction), the past relationships I've had, the female was the one to make the move. I don't know if this statement is a cop-out, but I tend to be more attracted to the ones who make the move...this shows that she has a genuine interest in me rather than me making a move on a few chance glances.

I still think the non-date thing is definitely a good idea. She's expressed interest to the landlady that she wants to know what kind of things there are to do around here...maybe I can offer to show her around without making her suspicious of me wanting to date her or something........