Maha MH-C801D opinions

robk

Enlightened
I've been using a BC-900, Maha MH-C204W and a Vanson "Speedy Box" for charging all my AA & AAA NiMH cells, but all seem to have weaknesses. The Vanson and Maha are slow (500mA max charge current), the BC-900 isn't perfect, sometimes "misses" the Delta-V or whatever is supposed to stop charging.
So, I bought a Maha MH-C801D, an eight cell independent channel charger for AA & AAA cells. I expect it on Friday, 3/31, and was wondering if anyone has had experience with it. It will charge AAs at 1 Amp "soft" or 2 Amp "fast". I'll be using it on Powerizer 2250's, Energizer 2500's and a dozen recently acquired Titanium 2600's, along with about 100 old Accu-DynaCharge 1800 (using slow "soft mode"). Here's a link to the unit: http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha-mh-c801d-battery-charger.htm

I hope it works as good as the description says. Any comments? I never thought I'd spend $70 on a charger, but this one looked good from various reviews, but I was wondering if anyone has one and can comment on how it works in real-world usage. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the BC-900, but it's very seldom I use those extra features.

Thanks,
Rob

bcwang

Enlightened
Assuming the 801D is the same as the 808M other than the lack of C and D cell support, the 801D should be a good charger. It's fast, the batteries stay cool, it can refresh, and it is independent channels. It's a good charger.

By the way, if you really have the 204w, it charges at 2amp with 2 cells and 1 amp with 4 cells. But I think you probably have the 204F which is slow.

robk

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. You are right - I've been looking at so many chargers, I screwed up - my present Maha is indeed a C204F. Slow, and it really heats up the cells, but I like the 12V cigarette lighter adapter, came in handy in during the 2004 hurricanes here in central Florida. I considered the 808M, but I don't use Cs or Ds except in one light, and the Vanson handles those fairly well.
Rob