Foxfury Breakthrough
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next best option to Fenix?

Sick2 Next best option to Fenix?

having been away from the forum for several weeks, now I see that the concensus seems to be that Fenix is ......????? Now that I have the L1P and the L0p, everybody finds out they are .........??????????? quality wise?????????.

so what do we choose now? do we go back to the ARC [which is probably also manufactured in China] or something else?
    Last edited by 7k7k99; 03-29-2006 at 06:35 PM. Reason: poor choice of words

Default Re: Next best option to Fenix?

I would suggest you do a little more reading before making comments like that.

Flashaholic

I don't know about Fenix. I also don't know about the source of circuits and the LED in Arc lights, but think that the Arc body/head machining, anodizing, engraving, and chip/LED potting and assembly are done in USA.
    Dave

Flashaholic

7k7k99, have you had any problems with your Fenix lights? I truely think your statement was a bit harsh. I am pretty sure there are many here that think pretty highly of their Fenix lights.

Ron
    2 Dorcy AAA, Inova XO3, Surefire A2, G2, L4 (2 stage tail switch), HDS U60XR, Fenix L1T, Fenix L2P and CR123 Tube, Peak Matterhorn, PentagonLight L2.

Am I misunderstanding this thread?

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=101747

I have not personally had any switch problems, but it seems a lot of people are having them

I purchased these lights based on the glowing reviews in this forum, and are the members now turning on these lights?

Be carful about what you say, Fenixes are not that bad, I'm with Bob, do some more reading.
    All started with a streamlight keymate...CPF, NOW LOOK WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!...embarking on the journey for a real light...better than surefire ...making pathetic attempt searching for the ultimate aa cough-cree cough cough ion cough

perhaps my choice of words was inappropriate, but since I have almost a $100 invested in these two lights, [a lot of cash for me, maybe not for other forum members], it upsets me to read of all these switch failures, like maybe I was too quick to buy into the hype...............

Out of the probably many thousands of Fenix lights sold, there are a handful of problems and this makes them crap?? Geez, don't tell me you've never had any trouble with any product ever purchased and used by you in your entire lifetime. Nothing I know of that's mass produced is ever without any problems at all.

In the grand scheme of things, there are barely any problems at all with these lights. I've had mine for several months and have had no problems and they are my EDCs.
    Last edited by srvctec; 03-29-2006 at 06:38 PM.

Flashaholic

I've got several Fenix's and MillerMods Fenix's. All good. They do what they are supposed, have been swimming quite a bit, and have no functional problems. All this and a bright R bin Luxeon in a single AA format.

No problems here. You can say you hate it or whatever you want from your opinion, but don't say "the concensus seems to be that Fenix is crap!" That just means you either can't read, or are looking at a single thread of problems. I have not gathered that that is the concensus at all.
    EDC = Quark Mini AA (14500). Favorites I own: Quark Ti AA Tactical R5, Nitecore Defender Infinity, Fenix PD20, FF3, Surefire U2, E2D, G2's (with CREE R2), Akoray k-106 5 mode, Rex 2.0. MANY others....

Flashaholic*

I think you're asking for the next better option over the Fenix, rather than the next - second - best option. For a $37 delivered 1W, R-bin, 1AA, HA, UCL, LED light, I don't know that there are any except for a few very similar lights coming on the market (Emilion's? Dae's?); and the performance of their switches remains TBD.

Mechanical clickies are a primary source of failure in LED lights as the rest usually has few/no moving parts. Over time, I've had problems with Kel-lite switches (broke), Mag-lite switches (broke), mini-mag switches (broke) , Arc LS clickie switchies (broke x 2), X1 switches (required cleaning), CMG/Gerber Infinity switches (shortened battery a little - needed a foil pad), and others I forget. It just happens.

My Fenix switch retaining ring once unscrewed itself a little with repeated removal ot the tailcap - fixed by screwing it back in tighter. Not perfect - but still pretty good. Could put a drop of loc-tite on it to really prevent recurrence if I wanted, but doesn't seem worth it right now.

Switch designs that have been real reliable for me (YMMV) include EL XM-3, Costco 1W 2AA luxeon, Lightwave Infiniton (true solid state switching) and new reverse battery Xnova 8's since the battery spring is in the head and the tail just has a fixed metal contact plate. But none of them can do what the Fenix does.

7k7k99,

You own a couple of the nicest lights on the market today for the money. I use mine all of the time and am thrilled with their performance even when compared to my more pricey and higher performing lights (i.e. Surefire).

The Fenix lights are probably the best performing lights in a 1AA or a 1AAA format.

If I am wrong, someone will likely point out which light is better performing in these formats and I will end up with another light

Don't be so concerned with what others say. Judge these for yourself.
    -Goatee

I've got 3 (L1P, L2Phead on L1P body, L0P) and have been very happy with all. The L0P is EDC'd on my keychain. Would not hesitate to buy more if needed.

With most things, I feel that unhappy people tend to be more vocal than happy ones. I've bought stuff before and later found out that some guys on this forum totally hates, i.e. kroll switches for minimags. I've been happy with mine. Go figure.

I've been extremely pleased with my L0P, L1P and L2P. Hey, I bought a Rolex (GMT Master II) once that had problems with the day display.
    "Battle Speed Hortator"

I have 2 (LOP and L1P) and they get used often, no problems here, quite happy with these lights, would buy again.
    What are you people......on DOPE!?!

Quote Originally Posted by 7k7k99
    having been away from the forum for several weeks, now I see that the concensus seems to be that Fenix is ......????? Now that I have the L1P and the L0p, everybody finds out they are .........??????????? quality wise?????????.

so what do we choose now? do we go back to the ARC [which is probably also manufactured in China] or something else?
    I bet you weren't expecting to get the snot slapped out of ya' like this, were ya? For the price, the Fenix LP1 and LP2 are nice lights. Due to the runtime, I can't recommend the LOP. There is really nothing else out there in this class if you're looking for a 1xAA power souce (speaking of the LP1). The L2P gets great runtime on only 2-cells. You really can't go wrong for the price.
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

Flashaholic

I'm very happy with both my Fenix lights (L1P and L2P) No problems of any kind, and......they just feel good.

7k7k99, don't be so superficial. It's not because some people have problems with their L1P, Fenix flashlight are bad flashlights. Be reasonable. There are hundreds of Fenix flashlights which are owned by CPF members, I think it's not unusual there are a few which have problems with this flashlight.

And if you should do just a very tiny little bit of research, you'd know Arc is completely made in USA.

Have you had any problems with yours? No? It works? So then if they work, and you like them... what's wrong with it?

Why does this remind me of the concurrently running U2 thread? Just because some people have problems doesn't mean it's a bad light.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Sigh Re: Next best option to Fenix?

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_nascar
    I bet you weren't expecting to get the snot slapped out of ya' like this, were ya?
    you got that right

Wait... "next best option to the Fenix" means you're looking for something close, but not quite as good? How about a stock QIII?
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

I have sold hundreds of Fenixes and I can count on one hand the number of truly defective lights that I have had.

Well, I'll side with the guy who originally posted the message. I don't own a Fenix myself but ordered an L2P for my Dad as a birthday gift. I had done lots of research and finally decided on an L2P. Boy, was I dissapointed! The beam was very purplish and the batteries REALLY RATTLE! Not even my POS MiniMag rattles like this. Talk about annoying! I agree that the switch felt cheap, but it hasn't failed. All-in-all, I was expecting much more from this light as far as build quality. I might consider buying an L1P for myself now that the price has gone down, but if the light I bought my dad was representative, then I probably won't. I was not at all satisfied. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to order him a different light so ended up giving it to him. He thought it was a neat light, but I still wasn't happy giving it to him. :-(

I had thought about getting him an Inova T3, but decided against it due to the lack of spill. I thought the Fenix might be somewhat close in quality, but I was really wrong...

I do like the look of their upcoming CR123 light however.

Quote Originally Posted by 7k7k99
    I have not personally had any switch problems, but it seems a lot of people are having them

I purchased these lights based on the glowing reviews in this forum, and are the members now turning on these lights
    Only if they're not having switch problems!
    ...ha ha ha ha ha.....ha ha ha ha....ha ha.

He he...

Good times.

From my experiences they hold up fine but I do agree that they are way over priced for the quality of craftmanship.

Flashaholic

Take the switch apart and solder the leads together, this would make it a twistie and a fail-proof reliable light.

I have a L0P and an L1P and I am very pleased with them. They are rapidly becoming my most used lights. I just sent off a t-rank r/o 1-watt to be installed into a new L1P for me. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

7k7k99,

The thread you posted was created awhile ago (3 or so months). True, the Fenix lights did have some switch problems initially, but they've actually implemented a new swtich awhile ago. I think most of the switch problems are related to the yellow (i think) coloured switches...the new switches are red coloured and since then, i've seen no complaints. That said, i've got a red colour switch L1P...no problems at all! It's also got a 2 stage mod (not soldered too)...absolutely no problems.

Oh yeah, if you're really worried about the switches pooing out on you...you may be able to buy spare ones from member 4sevens. I'm quite sure awhile ago, i saw a post by 4sevens saying he was willing to sell extras...don't hold me to it though.

I have both the L1P and L2P and I am very pleased with them,

I'm still chuckling after reading the silly post from the disgruntled member who is annoyed by "battery rattle". If he doesn't want to use rechargeables (thicker) than what's so hard about neatly shimming the battery tube?
    LUMAPOWER #1} LM303, #2} D-mini