Next best option to Fenix?

7k7k99

Newly Enlightened
having been away from the forum for several weeks, now I see that the concensus seems to be that Fenix is ......????? Now that I have the L1P and the L0p, everybody finds out they are .........??????????? quality wise?????????.

so what do we choose now? do we go back to the ARC [which is probably also manufactured in China] or something else?

Last edited:

BobbyRS

Enlightened
I would suggest you do a little more reading before making comments like that.:thumbsdow

Dave Wright

Enlightened
I don't know about Fenix. I also don't know about the source of circuits and the LED in Arc lights, but think that the Arc body/head machining, anodizing, engraving, and chip/LED potting and assembly are done in USA.

ront

Newly Enlightened
7k7k99, have you had any problems with your Fenix lights? I truely think your statement was a bit harsh. I am pretty sure there are many here that think pretty highly of their Fenix lights.

Ron

7k7k99

Newly Enlightened
perhaps my choice of words was inappropriate, but since I have almost a $100 invested in these two lights, [a lot of cash for me, maybe not for other forum members], it upsets me to read of all these switch failures, like maybe I was too quick to buy into the hype...............:awman:

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
:huh2:

Out of the probably many thousands of Fenix lights sold, there are a handful of problems and this makes them crap?? Geez, don't tell me you've never had any trouble with any product ever purchased and used by you in your entire lifetime. Nothing I know of that's mass produced is ever without any problems at all.

In the grand scheme of things, there are barely any problems at all with these lights. I've had mine for several months and have had no problems and they are my EDCs.

Last edited:

Tremendo

Enlightened
I've got several Fenix's and MillerMods Fenix's. All good. They do what they are supposed, have been swimming quite a bit, and have no functional problems. All this and a bright R bin Luxeon in a single AA format.

No problems here. You can say you hate it or whatever you want from your opinion, but don't say "the concensus seems to be that Fenix is crap!" That just means you either can't read, or are looking at a single thread of problems. I have not gathered that that is the concensus at all.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you're asking for the next better option over the Fenix, rather than the next - second - best option. For a $37 delivered 1W, R-bin, 1AA, HA, UCL, LED light, I don't know that there are any except for a few very similar lights coming on the market (Emilion's? Dae's?); and the performance of their switches remains TBD.

Mechanical clickies are a primary source of failure in LED lights as the rest usually has few/no moving parts. Over time, I've had problems with Kel-lite switches (broke), Mag-lite switches (broke), mini-mag switches (broke) , Arc LS clickie switchies (broke x 2), X1 switches (required cleaning), CMG/Gerber Infinity switches (shortened battery a little - needed a foil pad), and others I forget. It just happens.

My Fenix switch retaining ring once unscrewed itself a little with repeated removal ot the tailcap - fixed by screwing it back in tighter. Not perfect - but still pretty good. Could put a drop of loc-tite on it to really prevent recurrence if I wanted, but doesn't seem worth it right now.

Switch designs that have been real reliable for me (YMMV) include EL XM-3, Costco 1W 2AA luxeon, Lightwave Infiniton (true solid state switching) and new reverse battery Xnova 8's since the battery spring is in the head and the tail just has a fixed metal contact plate. But none of them can do what the Fenix does.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
7k7k99,

You own a couple of the nicest lights on the market today for the money. I use mine all of the time and am thrilled with their performance even when compared to my more pricey and higher performing lights (i.e. Surefire).

The Fenix lights are probably the best performing lights in a 1AA or a 1AAA format.

If I am wrong, someone will likely point out which light is better performing in these formats and I will end up with another light:)

Don't be so concerned with what others say. Judge these for yourself.
-Goatee

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
I've got 3 (L1P, L2Phead on L1P body, L0P) and have been very happy with all. The L0P is EDC'd on my keychain. Would not hesitate to buy more if needed.

With most things, I feel that unhappy people tend to be more vocal than happy ones. I've bought stuff before and later found out that some guys on this forum totally hates, i.e. kroll switches for minimags. I've been happy with mine. Go figure.

cyberhobo

Enlightened
I've been extremely pleased with my L0P, L1P and L2P. Hey, I bought a Rolex (GMT Master II) once that had problems with the day display.

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 (LOP and L1P) and they get used often, no problems here, quite happy with these lights, would buy again.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
7k7k99 said:
having been away from the forum for several weeks, now I see that the concensus seems to be that Fenix is ......????? Now that I have the L1P and the L0p, everybody finds out they are .........??????????? quality wise?????????.

so what do we choose now? do we go back to the ARC [which is probably also manufactured in China] or something else?

I bet you weren't expecting to get the snot slapped out of ya' like this, were ya? For the price, the Fenix LP1 and LP2 are nice lights. Due to the runtime, I can't recommend the LOP. There is really nothing else out there in this class if you're looking for a 1xAA power souce (speaking of the LP1). The L2P gets great runtime on only 2-cells. You really can't go wrong for the price.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
7k7k99, don't be so superficial. It's not because some people have problems with their L1P, Fenix flashlight are bad flashlights. Be reasonable. There are hundreds of Fenix flashlights which are owned by CPF members, I think it's not unusual there are a few which have problems with this flashlight.

And if you should do just a very tiny little bit of research, you'd know Arc is completely made in USA.

carrot

Flashaholic
Have you had any problems with yours? No? It works? So then if they work, and you like them... what's wrong with it?

Why does this remind me of the concurrently running U2 thread? Just because some people have problems doesn't mean it's a bad light.

carrot

Flashaholic
Wait... "next best option to the Fenix" means you're looking for something close, but not quite as good? How about a stock QIII?