Is Sanyo HR-3U fatter than the regular AA?

It wouldn't fit in a Coleman headlamp that accepts regular alkaline AAs fine. I had to file down the inside to get it to accept the HR-3U NiMH without having to force them in.

Anyone had this problem?

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
I've noticed the same on some items, like digicams and handheld portable fans, etc. Kinda snug in the minimag, need a good whack to remove. Not much of an issue on single cell lights like L1P, Xnova, etc.

Was going to see if there was a significant difference between the Sanyo and Engergizer 2500, seems in some other threads that its the same thing. Don't recall such problems with the Energizers in the past, but girlfriend took those for her camera so can't do.

paulr

Flashaholic
Yes, there are slight thickness variations between different brands of AA cells, and HR-3U's are thicker than most.

paulr said:
Yes, there are slight thickness variations between different brands of AA cells, and HR-3U's are thicker than most.

Sanyo data says Cadnica NiCd 600mA AA is 13.8mm (+/- 0.2mm) but HR-3U is 14.3mm

The problem with excessively snug battery fit is that it binds into the sidewall and doesn't allow the contact springs to maintain good tension on electrical contacts. I filed down the battery compartment in the Coleman headlamp because of the poor contact problem.

Last edited:

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
They won't fit in Amondo four cell plastic cases and barely fit in Thomas Distributing cases!

paulr

Flashaholic
They fit fine in the amondotech 12 cell hard cases, if that helps. I really like those cases.

bcwang

Enlightened
They're definitely longer and thicker than most cells. They barely fit some of my chargers, and don't fit some of my devices. I hope the 2700 cells aren't any larger.