Since I'm new to recharging.....

NeedMoreLight

Newly Enlightened
Couple of questions.
If I have say 2000 ma batteries, can they be charged in a charger that will charge 5000 ma batteries?
Likewise can 5000 ma batteries be charged in a charger that says it's for 2000 ma batteries?
I'm asking because one charger I looked at said it was for up to 2500 ma batteries.
And last, if a device (say a camera) came with, and says to use 1600 ma batteries, can a higher ma battery be used?
I'm thinking their all the same voltage, just will run longer to to higher ma.

greenLED

Flashaholic
It depends on the type of charger. If yours is a "dummy" type with just a timer, it'll probably cook the 2000mA batts (since it's timed to charge double that capacity). Likewise, the 5000mA might be undercharged. But that's only with really dumb dummy chargers :) That's why I like to use "smart" chargers, they actually analyze your cells and charge accordingly.

I don't see why you couldn't use higher capacity cells in your camera.

NeedMoreLight said:
Couple of questions.
If I have say 2000 ma batteries, can they be charged in a charger that will charge 5000 ma batteries?
Likewise can 5000 ma batteries be charged in a charger that says it's for 2000 ma batteries?
I'm asking because one charger I looked at said it was for up to 2500 ma batteries.
And last, if a device (say a camera) came with, and says to use 1600 ma batteries, can a higher ma battery be used?
I'm thinking their all the same voltage, just will run longer to to higher ma.