Are the Tenergy CR123s safe and vented?

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw several threads looking at the dangers of lithium 123s that had little venting or thermal protection. I've heard alot about these Tenergy lithiums performing relatively satisfactory in lights. Are they relatively safe? Does anyone have experience with these?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
All Lithium cells are vented AFAIK.

What you're likely thinking of is whether the cells have a PTC which the Tenergy cells, which I sell, do not.

Currently it's mostly only the premium cells that have a 'PTC or more correctly a PPTC (Polymeric Positive Temperature Coefficient) fude which is a resettable fuse which will sense, regulate, and protect any over-current event, then fully and safely reset itself after the fault conditions are removed.

Now, that said - the Tenergy is a fantastic cell for the money and I've never seen nor heard of one suffer catastrophic failure after selling about 500k of them.

Typically that type of failure is only induced by extreme heat (which would cause even a PPTC fused battery to fail) or through a short - usually external as an internal short is extremely unlikely. Think about it - you've heard people here 'talk' about the 'dangers' but how many actual reports have you seen? Mostly the (mis)information comes as a result of scare tactics used by a certain flashlight company in efforts to scare people into using their overpriced batteries.

Now, if you're not thoroughly confused ...:)
I've ordered a batch of PPTC protected cells from one of our manufacturers that we'll be able to offer for slightly more than the Tenergy cells but for less than the Sanyos - the best of both worlds!

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK - you mention PTC is only on the higher-priced cells. Do you happen to know if BatteryStation 123As have a PTC built-in? Amondotech states Titaniums have PTC...I have both and am thinking about using Tenergy next.

To confirm, I assume Sanyo, Duracell, Energizer, Streamlight/Panasonic, Surefire and other higher priced brand name ones have PTC?

Thanks.

Last edited:

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mattk:

Thanks for the info. I noticed people were having good luck with the tenergy cells. I just ordered another XO3 from you yesterday, So I'll likely get some of the Tenergy primaries next week. One other thing, I noticed you are selling the Tenery RCR123 3v kits. I did not see if you also sold the extra Tenergy Rechargeables, other than the ones you get with the kit. Are extra cells available? All I saw were Powerizers. Thanks.

Fieldops

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a drop down menu next to the words Extra Batteries that will let you select the number of additional batteries that you want to order.

fieldops said:
I did not see if you also sold the extra Tenergy Rechargeables, other than the ones you get with the kit. Are extra cells available?

Fieldops

math314

Newly Enlightened
Running P61 Using Tenergy CR123As

Does anyone have experience running a P61 HOLA using the Tenergy CR123A primaries?

I understand that the P61 draws about 2.4 A of current and that many CR123As are only rated for a max. continuous current draw of about 1.5 A, so I was wondering if Tenergy cells can handle a 2.4 A continuous current (couldn't find the datasheet). I'm asking this because I just ordered a P61 and was planning on testing Tenergy cells by seeing if they would last for the whole 20 minutes.