Need a simple circuit

unclearty

Enlightened
I've got a project I'm working on...modding some little 4 AA lanterns. They came with a PR based bulb, but they eat through batteries pretty quickly. I bought a bunch of 10mm LEDS. These are rated at 130k MCD at 20ma at 3.7volts. What would be the best..and simplest way to drive the LEDS? I was considering just a resistor, but I think a simple circuit would be a little better as far as a consistent output from the LED. Suggestions? I was thinking of the Worldtorch circuit, but it only drives an LED at 10ma.

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're talking about the LM334 or LM317 based circuits, you can get a whole lot more than 20mA. It just depends on the resistor to set the current.

The LM317 circuit can be set with a 60R resistor for 20mA.

The LM334 can be similarly set with a 3R resistor.

Since these are both linear regulators, i.e. they work as variable resistors and "burn off" the excess voltage, you ought to match the required voltage as closely as possible, or else you'll be wasting a lot of power. Also, the transistor acting as the variable resistor can get pretty warm.

I once tried driving 6 LEDs in parallel from 4 AA cell source. 6 LEDs in parallel required 120mA at approximately 3.6V. The transistor had to remove 2.4V with 120mA passing through. It was dissipating 288mW of power. A little over half the amount of power that the LEDs were actually consuming. If I had removed 1 cell, I would have only wasted 108mW of power.

BTW, I came across another circuit in a local electronics magazine which works on much the same principle as the Worldtorch circuit in that it linearly regulates the current going to the LED. But it is more complex because it was designed for 48 LEDs and a 12V source. It was designed so there are several banks of LEDs. Each bank has 3 LEDs in series with a transistor, which acts as the variable resistor for that bank. All the transistors are controlled by one other transistor which sets the current per bank.

If you would like to see the circuit, either check out the Silicon Chip magazine website with the keyword "prawning light", or let me know and I'll scan the schematic for you.

unclearty

Enlightened
Interesting..yes I'm interested in the larger circuit, but for another project that's been in the back of mind. The little portable light project was to try an maximize life of the batteries. I guess the main point was a combination of battery life versus light output. Using the LM317 seems to waste alot of battery life. I want a little better efficiency. Can you provide a link for the 12 volt circuit? Thanks.

unclearty

Enlightened
What about using LM337LZ's? I found 4 or them in my project box. Is there a diagram for a simple circuit around them to deliver 3.6volts at 25ma?

Builder

Newly Enlightened
For maximum efficiency (battery-wise) just hook up the 6v directly across 2 LEDs in series! You'd get 15mA with 4 new alkalines for about 85% brightness output (and probably closer to the 100,000hr life they brag about). Of course this won't work at all with NiCads.

Be warned: the 120 and 130cd LEDs on eBay have a very narrow (+/-6degree) beam width - good for spots but not so good for area lighting.

Builder.

More circuits: http://quantsuff.com