Light measurements -- lots of questions, thoughts

Leef

Enlightened
I've gotten my datalogging light meter working pretty well. I'm using a cardboard box with a white interior, the input hole and the sensor hole both located in the top so that there's no direct beam hitting the sensor. I've thought of other ways to collect all the light emerging from a flashlight, and when I decide which is best, I'll replace the cardboard box with something a bit nicer.

Meanwhile, as I start making measurements, I have lots of questions that many Forum members have figured out long ago. Can you help me?

Here are some questions:

1) As to maximum output of a LED light (my SuperFlashlight-III), I note that it drops quickly from initial turn on (with primary batteries, anyway). It looks like it drops for awhile, then rises slightly. Is there a typical (standard) way to assign the maximum output (e.g. at first turn on, at the short term rise point, or averaging some initial period)?

2) As I see it, the challenge to measuring total output is to capture all the photons without biasing the measurement in favor of location -- that is, not letting the hot spot disproportionately affect the measurement. That's why the box method is used -- all the photons are reflected and diffused. So:

a) Has anyone tried using a parabolic reflector or a Fresnel lens to capture all the output from a light for measurement? I don't know if Fresnel lenses shine equally at the focal point all the light striking them, or if they are biased in favor of the light that hits the center of the Fresnel. It seems like it may not matter since all the light -- hot spot & spill -- end up concentrated in one point. Anyone know? If they do collect without bias, they'd be a great measurement technique since the beam could be focused on the sensor across the sensor's entire area.

b) If I understand parabolic reflectors correctly, light hitting the reflector at any point and from any angle is focused at the focal point. Is this right? If so, one could use a relatively small sensor cell that wouldn't obscure much of the flashlight's beam, and get a good, unbiased measurement. Anyone know?

3) Another measurement that seems common is a maximum output in the center of the beam at 1 meter. I suppose this is a better indicator of throw than total output, right? Is this lumens? Can this measurement be made inside a tube, or does it need to be made in a large space (e.g. a room)? If the tube idea doesn't affect the measurement, one could use a cardboard mailing tube, maybe 12" diameter, and could make these measurements in a lighted room. But here's another thought -- maybe it's just as accurate to make the measurement in the open in a lighted room and simply subtract the background level from th emeasured level. Is this just as good?

4) When taking long term (e.g. a few hours) measurements of a light, is it necessary to cool the light? I gather that a LED's output for a given power input is inversely affected by temperature, right? A small ducted fan could be used, but this raises the question of "how cool is cool?" Is the temperature's effect on output sufficiently great to introduce a large error in measurement?

5) I'm curious about the relationship between measured output and what one sees. For example, the momentary output of my FS M6 is 8,700 lux, while the output of my quad-Lux (in a Mag C head running on 2x18650) is 9,000 lux. But when I go outside at night and play around with these two lights, they appear to be very different. Obvious differences are color and throw/spill. The M6 leaves the QL in the dirt as to throw, but the QL lights up a larger area up close, say 10 yds. And the difference in color makes it tricky to say which one is "brighter." Can anyone...uh...shed some light on this? BTW, my meter's spectral sensitivity peaks at 550 nm and is a fairly symmetric bell curve around the peak, dropping to near zero at 420 and 680 nm. I don't know how this corresponds to what normal eyes and what my eyes see, but I'd guess that the meter designers tried to emulate what the eye sees.

6) Is there a reasonable way to calibrate a light box to some standard?

Anyway, there's way too much fun to be had with this stuff. Thanx for any help. :grin2:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Leef,

Now that you have read it, did it answer your questions... or do you now have more questions? :D

Tom

wquiles

Flashaholic
This is my personal solution to some of your questions, although this is primarily designed to test and measure LED's, which completely eliminate the reflector variations, while still measuring only reflected light ;)

Will

Leef

Enlightened
Thanx for the replies. I'm still studying some of this stuff and will post more questions later.

Oh...one now: is the eye's sensitivity to light more nearly a linear or a log function?

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Leef,

As I understand it, your eye responds to changes in brightness that are half or double the original level of brightness.

Tom

Leef

Enlightened
Does this mean that it takes a 2X increase in light (lux?) to be perceptible?

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Leef,

I believe you could say that everyone can notice a 2X increase in light. Perceptible changes depend on the condition of your eyes, and whether or not you are a flashaholic... :)

Tom

Leef

Enlightened
Well, my first question still stands: does a log lux scale better approximate what the eye sees than a linear scale? Maybe I can learn more abt. this by measuring the reduction in output of a 1 click change in a light I have that has ~30 intervals between full and off. I can see those reductions, albeit they're slight.

soffiler

Enlightened
Leef said:
Well, my first question still stands: does a log lux scale better approximate what the eye sees than a linear scale? Maybe I can learn more abt. this by measuring the reduction in output of a 1 click change in a light I have that has ~30 intervals between full and off. I can see those reductions, albeit they're slight.

Hello Leef:

Couple comments here. One, don't forget that your eyes have irises. They adjust automatically for lighting level over a pretty wide range. This makes it difficult, if not impossible, to come up with an objective number that describes the human eye sensitivity to differences in light.

Two, and related to the above, if you're trying to test perceptible differences, you need to be looking at two light sources simultaneously. In other words, if you have a single light source and you vary the output with the intent of determining what the perceptible difference is, your irises are going to fight you all the way. Therefore, you need a "control" source and a second source that can be varied.

I just did some brief testing in this area recently. It was not an exhaustive experiment. We had two Lamina BL2000's side-by-side, running off lab power supplies to the rated 420mA. We used cardboard painted black in a quickie attempt to keep the lumens from each source separated. We used four or five different observers, and we turned down one of the LED's while leaving the other burning at 420mA. We determined, approximately, that it took about 10% fewer lumens before anyone reported they were seeing any reduction in light.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Steve Offiler
VP of Engineering
Central Tools, Inc.
www.centraled.net

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Leef,

According to this information, subjective brightness is a logarithmic function.

Another difficulty with your question is that we see colors differently. Here is an article that will introduce you to color perception. A small increase in intensity at a color where our eyes are most sensitive will be noticed, but the same increase at a color where we are not sensitive will not be observed.

Tom

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
The other thing to note is also rather obvious: your eyes and mine will not see "exactly" the same variations. All human eyes are slightly different, so it might take 10% change for person A and maybe 35% change for person B before noticing a change. As Tom mentioned above, when you add our different color perception, things get even more complicated, then again as different folks have their iris behave differently (I girl from college that I know had trouble seing during the day due to her very large iris - at night she had great vision though!).

If you look at the light meter experiement here in the forums, even when most of us are using the same "eye" (LM631 light meter), we are all getting different results, even when all of us are using the same light sources, same procedure, etc.. Similar results, but different.

My point is that this is not an exact science since even an integrating sphere' results will not necessarily match what you or I see with our own eyes ;)

Will

Last edited:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The integration sphere aspect is probably more variable than is readily appreciated as well. I have been to 3 trade shows that had IS displayed (uncalibrated of course). Dramatically different flashlights and power levels sometimes provided the SAME reading, and believe me, they were very different light outputs.

Frankly, I had under estimated the calibration aspect on a commercial quality IS.

Last edited:

Leef

Enlightened
Good info. Thanx!

Steve, for some reason, I hadn't considered the role of the irises. Maybe if you're comparing small differences in brightness, they wouldn't change. Your 10% minimum perceptible change experiment is very appealing as a rule of thumb. Do you suppose this holds over a wide range of brightness?

Tom, I printed the article "Color Vision, Color Deficiency." Thanx. I'll study it. I couldn't get the link to subjective brightness/log function to work. Can you resend it or cite the URL?

Will, your comments about individual differences are well taken. It has occurred to me that I might do an experiment with my own eyes to see what level of differences I can perceive. Steve's comments about simultaneously comparing two sources is helpful in this regard.

What ever happened to the good old days when I'd bang a light on my hand to see why it wasn't working:candle:, and be satisfied if it was? How do you spell obsession?:naughty:

Leef said:
Does this mean that it takes a 2X increase in light (lux?) to be perceptible?

It depends on the frequency. 8-10 Hz, we can see it in the couple percent range. this is why power companies prohibits operation of machines at duty cycle that introduces voltage fluctuation in the above frequency range.

As for plain brightness, relative perceived light is supposedly the square roof of relative measured light.
http://www.lutron.com/ballast/pdf/LutronBallastpg3.pdf
I'm not sure how wide of a range that holds true.

The graph implies a surface lit to 100 Lux is perceived as 100% brightness and at 1 lux, it would be perceived as 10%. Now, I'm not sure if 100,000 lux appears 10% as bright as 10,000,000 Lux. I'm sure the rule doesn't factor in scotopic photopic issues. Flashlights produce very little light and yet it appears bright, because our eyes are night adjusted when we'd be using them.

You see "170 lumens" and go wow, but an average 100W household lamp makes around 1,670 lumens.

Last edited: