Pierce M10 mini-review

magic79

Enlightened
This is a very, very quick review...I got my M10 Narrow Beam this afternoon.

Let me begin by saying that this is one of the few lights that has been an impulse buy. I had no "need" for the light...it's just been a long time since I've bought a new light! Most lights I buy have a specific requirement that the light fulfills.

The first thing you notice is that this is one TINY light. It's hard to believe that this uses a CR123 since it is so small. The picture below shows the Pierce compared to two other very popular single CR123 lights, the SureFire L1 and the UDS EDC U60XR.

346736472%7Ffp344%3Enu%3D326%3A%3E4%3B%3B%3E8%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D323362%3A5878%3A4nu0mrj

The finish is quite nice. The first thing I noticed were the heatsink fins. These clearly will dissipate more heat than a solid body.

The light comes with two lanyards: one black (attached) and one yellow. They recommend that you use one when setting the light for low mode (400 mA) and the other when you have it set for high (1000 mA). This is a good idea I think. However, these lanyards are very cheesy. They appear to be a simple thin nylon string. This is probably adequate, but it appears quite cheap.

I opened the light by unscrewing the front bezel and was surprised to see it's shipped with a Surefire CR123 battery. For $150 I expected a Duracel, like came with my UDS. It's a bit trivial, but perception is important and if you're charging top dollar, it should come with the best available battery.

I turned on the light and there is no complaint about Pierce's claims about brightness. It is very bright and useful at the factory default 400 mA setting.

As an aside: For Pete's sake, how many more disjoint methods of comparing brightness do we need? Most today use Lumens. Some (Streamlight for example) use Candlepower. Pierce uses LED current.

Frankly, LED current isn't a bad measure. But, in marketing, perception is reality. So, LED current means absolutely nothing to most people. Why not spend some money to have the light measured in either Lumens or Candlepower?

Having said that, the light is BRIGHT! I chose the same two other single CR123 lights for beam comparison. I have two "ranges" (haha) that I use. The first is my back yard. It has approximately 17 yards (15m) from the light to the fence. The second is a 1m distance to a white wall in one of my bedrooms. Here are the pictures of each. For the outdoor shots, I used manual on my Canon 20D set at 5 seconds and f4.5. For the indoor shots, the camera was set at 1/5 second and f 8. Sorry that the 'throw' shots are out of focus, but I don't think it affects the data.

346736472%7Ffp342%3Enu%3D326%3A%3E4%3B%3B%3E8%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D323362%3A5878%3A7nu0mrj

HDS U60XR set at full power (60 Lumens)
346736472%7Ffp343%3Enu%3D326%3A%3E4%3B%3B%3E8%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D323362%3A58%3B%3A39nu0mrj

Surefire L1 on High
346736472%7Ffp346%3Enu%3D326%3A%3E4%3B%3B%3E8%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D323362%3A5878%3A6nu0mrj

Pierce at 400 mA
346736472%7Ffp343%3Enu%3D326%3A%3E4%3B%3B%3E8%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D323362%3A5878%3A5nu0mrj

Pierce at 1000 mA
346736472%7Ffp344%3Enu%3D326%3A%3E4%3B%3B%3E8%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D323362%3A58%3B%3A43nu0mrj

U60 beam
346736472%7Ffp33%3A%3Enu%3D326%3A%3E4%3B%3B%3E8%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D323362%3A58%3B%3A3%3Anu0mrj

L1 Beam
346736472%7Ffp33%3B%3Enu%3D326%3A%3E4%3B%3B%3E8%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D323362%3A58%3B%3A3%3Cnu0mrj

Pierce at 400 mA
346736472%7Ffp339%3Enu%3D326%3A%3E4%3B%3B%3E8%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D323362%3A58%3B%3A3%3Bnu0mrj

Pierce at 1000 mA

It doesn't appear so in the photos, but the Pierce's beam is somewhat square (the L1 is VERY square). Frankly, I can't see how beam shape makes any difference whatsoever, so the square vs. round is immaterial to me.

To me, subjectively, the Pierce at low power is perhaps 20 Lumens. At high power, it appears to be about 50 Lumens. Those estimates are about as unscientific as you can get...eyeballing it. The L1 TIROS optics makes a real difference in throw brightness. I know a lot of people don't like it, but it really does work.

For it's size, I'm not sure anything compares with the output of the Pierce. Again, this is the narrow beam model; I have no idea how the wide beam compares.

If I were concerned about the size of the U60XR (my EDC), the Pierce would be "IT". However, the fact that it is a single stage light disqualifies it as my EDC. I think two stages are essential.

The U60XR will remain my EDC, and I literally do carry it in my pocket every day.

The Pierce will probably reside in my other pocket most days as my backup light. There is no other light (including the Orb Raw) that seems as bright in this small of a package in my opinion. If your wardrobe precludes even the U60, this is your light if you can tolerate a single stage. If not, the Orb Raw with two-stage switch is better.

I would like to see this light with a two stage switch. This would be a really useful light if it had a two stage switch.

I did not perform a runtime experiment.

That's it! There you have it!

Last edited:

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
magic, Mine has seceral scuffs all over it, as well as some big blemishes on the knurling.

EDIT:
I heard form Sam at Pierce (as it turns out, I was checking the wrong email address :ohgeez:) This problem was due to a HA defect from the company that does the HAing for Pierce. Its not Pierces fault, I was just a little upset and may have posted prematurely...Sorry Sam!

Last edited:

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
I dont have a jil or ion...YET! But I will take some of it next some other small lights when I get home... Also if anybody got both of them I would love to see another narrow vs wide compro.

eart

Newly Enlightened
Neat review, thanks.
If you dont mind me asking, why did you chose M10 over the Ion (CR2 vs 123?) or over the FireFly3?

Pierce Light

Newly Enlightened
Mini-Moder said:
magic, Mine has seceral scuffs all over it, as well as some big blemishes on the knurling. The light looked like it had been well used...I still havnt heard from Sam at Pierce...

Thank you for your patience. I emailed you late last night and early this morning. I didn't want to post until I have contacted the HA supplier. In the future, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at [email protected].

Below is my respond I submitted on the other post.

--------------------------------

Mini-Moder,

Thank you for purchasing the Pierce M10 and our sincere apology for having shipped a product that has small scuff marks and blemishes. All the products we shipped are brand new and the item you received must have been mishandled. Once again our sincere apology.

Regarding your reference to the HA issue, we checked with the HA supplier and confirmed that some units were inappropriately held on the knurl area during HA. This resulted in some small blemishes. These imperfection were then touched up to hide any imperfection. We are very concern about this and working with the HA supplier to rectify this.

As promised, we will do everything we can to insure your satisfaction. We are extending the following options to rectify the situation:

1) We will be do a full exchange at no additional cost to you. We will cross ship the new product to you if you desire (although it still may have the small HA blemishes).

2) We will provide you a full refund if you would like to return the item. In your case, we will refund all shipping / handling / and battery cost. We'll also pay for the shipment back.

3) If you don't want to hassle with the exchange or refund and like to keep the Pierce M10 as is, we will refund you $20 for our mishandling.

Please let me know your choice and once again our sincere aplogy for the inconvenience.

Also for anyone who has already placed an order, please don't hesitate to contact me directly if you have any issues with blemishes or simply not happy with the flashlight. We'll do our best to accomodate.

[email protected]

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Sam

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
Hey Sam I sent you back an email. Thanks for handling this all so professionally.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have to disassemble it to change from 400 to 1000mA? That is not "on-the-fly" switchable like the FF and HDS. The Pierce web site was not so clear on that. I'm not as interested if it is not immediate accesible two stage since I already have a Jil Intelli and FF2 with POP2 multilevel switching which is about the same size as the Pierce.

Pierce M10: 63.5x22.2mm, $140 (dual level with some time...)
FireFly II/III: 68x20.5mm, $130
Fenix P1: 65x20mm, $45 (single level and prob(?) lower output?)
Jil Intelli/DD: 50x22mm, $110

So the Pierce is almost the smallest CR123 light I know of (slightly larger volume-wise than the upcoming Fenix claims to be), but not being "on-the-fly" two stage is too bad (for me, otherwise it looks very nice).

I'll stick with the FF for my micro RCR123 torch. The FF3 (modded FF2 in my case) equals the U60 HDS light level too.

Don't get me wrong, this looks like a very well made, nicely styled, intelligently designed, quality product, I just wish it was 'real' two staged. IF I have read this correctly...

Maybe next year?

<EDIT> After reading above: apparently very good customer service! That counts for a lot.

Last edited:

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
Hey blindasabat, the switch is internal, you need a pin to be able to change it. However, the difference in output is very small, so I think that keeping it on 400 will be sufficiant most of the time.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Mini-Moder,
Hmm, nifty idea to keep the light small with multiple levels available...

I figured that close in milliAmps would not be such a big visual difference. Kinda like the 10 versus 42 Lumen settings on the HDS is a decent difference visually, but of course 1/4 the power usage.
200-250mA would be good level if it was more quickly switchable.

Like I said, this light looks really nicely done. I hope they sell a bunch. If they add a FireFly/HDS/RAW style staged setup, or even a TM301X-3 type two stage, it will be a really nice all around light. I'm just a big fan of multi-level. I even got the Nuwai 115X Lux 3 for $25 on sale a while ago.

Mini-Moder said:
Hey blindasabat, the switch is internal, you need a pin to be able to change it. However, the difference in output is very small, so I think that keeping it on 400 will be sufficiant most of the time.

magic79

Enlightened
eart said:
Neat review, thanks.
If you dont mind me asking, why did you chose M10 over the Ion (CR2 vs 123?) or over the FireFly3?

Well...to be honest it was pretty much an impulse buy! I have an Orb Raw, and like it, but don't particularly want another CR2 light.

As for the FireFly...I found an order thread, but no description (at least on the first or last page) so I really don't know anything about it. I couldn't find any other thread describing it either.

There was another thread asking basically the same thing. A reply said there were pictures in the order thread, but I couldn't find them on the first page and don't have time to wander through the whole thread.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find a great compromise by setting the Pierce to 400mA. The light is bright and doesn't get hot with a 3.7V battery. The light is almost the same brightness using a primary CR123A battery. With the setting at 400mA the light will use both a rechargeable and a primary battery. Setting the light to 1000mA and using the 3.7V battery make the light a bit brighter but a lot hotter.

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
TrueBlue, I really love the look of the bare on the Pierce, it just looks so nice. I have a few [font=&quot]comparison[/font] pics for you guys, but I think that TrueBlue has already taken care of it.
comp.jpg

Not an exact line-up, but it gives you a sizing idea...

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Thanx for the pic !!!

Does anyone know if there is a version in the works with a hole for a split ring? This lanyard attachment doesn't look like it would withstand keychain carry in a reliable manner ...

bernie

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
Kiessling, I think that a split ring would work if you replaced the stock lanyard, with something of a paracord loop. But the current lanyard is very strong, when tightened all the way I couldn't not pull it off. If you wanted super secure you could either go with paracord, or maybe try to find a very small cord lock to make sure the slip knot on the stock lanyard stays in place. Here is a picture of my FAF (fully adjustable fob) custom made by ghostrider, on the M10, the paracord fits into the slot almost perfectly:

faf.jpg

The flash did some funky things with the orange... But you get the idea.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Thanx for the pic! I still cannot trust this set-up ... but maybe I am stubborn and without experience here :D :D

Pierce Light

Newly Enlightened
Kiessling said:
Thanx for the pic !!!

Does anyone know if there is a version in the works with a hole for a split ring? This lanyard attachment doesn't look like it would withstand keychain carry in a reliable manner ...

bernie

Bernie, we were concern too during our design phase. However after careful testing, we arrived at our final design. During manufacturing we increased the clamping pressure of the lanyard by 3x from our original design to insure that it doesn't come apart. Simply, a user simply need to slide the knot snug against the Pierce M10 groove and it will not come off. We have tested and carried this light for over 1 year on the key ring and have not had any issue with the lanyard coming apart. Nothing like real world testing.

Sam

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
With the right kind of knot, the more force applied to pulling on the lanyard the tighter the knot will be. The lanyard will be as strong as the cord is, less whatever amount the knot weakens the cord which varies between knots.

I don't have a Pierce M10, but I think it's an elegant design for a lanyard attachment.

Thanks for the review Magic79