Fixed blade for CCW?

LVC2

Newly Enlightened
Looking for suggestions on a fixed blade knife to carry concealed. When I'm not CCW I carry a folder on my strong side. I would like to find a small to medium sized (<10") fixed blade to wear weak side when I am CCW. Possibly with a sheath that allows for horizontal carry on a belt? One method of concealed carry that I think is out for sure (although there appear to be a good number of knives available) is lanyard or neck carry. I want to be able to retrieve the knife without groping for a moving target mid fight. All suggestions and comments are welcome and appreciated.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.hideawayknives.com

I have the Strider one and the Utility. They have an incredible number of carry methods available also. There's even one that sits behind an ID badge. I have the Kydex belt clip with the "J" hook and it works great for both horizontal belt carry and on the pocket.

JM-99

Last edited:

London

Newly Enlightened
spyderco Ronin. or the spyderco Temperance. two very serious knives with rather advanced adjustable sheaths. another good "down and dirty" knife is the cold steel push-daggers but they are pretty small. don't recall their names right now...they have a couple models. Look out for double-edged knife local legalities for wherever you are planning to carry. Although close to impossible to find now, the REKAT Hobbit is an incredible "off side" fixed blade with great reverse-grip characteristics. For an affordable high quality production fixed blade the Emerson PUK (Police Utility Knife) is pretty sweet but the sheath doesn't rotate. Strider is popular, but looking/feeling them I can't understand why they are so expensive for such a simple style of knife. the Benchmade Nimravus is another contender though I've not fielded one.

billgr

Newly Enlightened
take a look at Kabar's TDI. comes in small("??) and large(3.5"). clip pont or tanto.

unusual shape. marketed for police on their weak side belt (left handed, but can be switched to RH.)

you can jab like a boxer because of the shape....which means 4 or 5 really fast strikes! i've got one and like it a lot. decent kydex sheath.

one cop in a training class said the slowest cop getting this out and ready was faster than the fastest cop getting his folder out and ready!!

nice grippy handle also.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
One important thing to find out before doing this is check that your CCW allows for carrying a blade. Some, like Michigans law is not a CCW but in fact a CCH. Allowing for carrying a concealed handgun, which is stated in the license. No where does it allow for the carrying of a knife, fixed or folding larger than the current regular knife law allows.

IF if does allow for carrying a knife I highly reccomend the Bud Nealy knives, I have one and it is wicked and the carry system is unmatched by any other I have seen. I have the small Pesh-Kabz. Look at his MCs sheath system whcih allows for multiple methods of carry.

http://www.budnealyknifemaker.com/

pesh-kabz.jpg

Last edited:

gailt

Newly Enlightened
camillus makes a couple that aren't that expensive.
the arclite and the becker necker model bk11
I have the bk11 and its a fairly good knife.

another option would to be watch the for sale forums and pick up a newt livesat nrg or woo.I see them for sale ocassionaly.they aren't pretty but they're good tough knives.

Dirty Bob

Newly Enlightened
I also recommend the KA-BAR TDI. It's inexpensive, and it's a great little knife, regardless of price. The steel is good, and the design and workmanship are outstanding. The sheath is OK, in my opinion, but you can get aftermarket sheaths from shawnstactical.com and others, and some people like the issue sheath.

Best of all, a trainer (no sharp edge or point, red handles) is available from KA-BAR. The trainer is what you want to use for practicing the draw and movement with the knife.

The TDI was pretty much made for what you're looking for. Take a look: you may like it as much as I do!

Regards,
Dirty Bob

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
gailt said:
I just rembered the Fallkniven WM1 great little knife with VG10 steel and its available with a neck sheath.

LVC2 said:
Possibly with a sheath that allows for horizontal carry on a belt? One method of concealed carry that I think is out for sure. . .is lanyard or neck carry. I want to be able to retrieve the knife without groping for a moving target mid fight.

Unless I read this wrong, I think he is specifically trying to avoid neck carry.

JM-99

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend the Ontario RAT-3. Google it, or look at knifecenter or knifeworks.com. Comes with a kydex tek-lok sheath. Pretty sure you horizontal carry it. Like it so much that I bought 2 RAT-7's and an RTAK. They are coming out with a RAT-5 soon too.

One link.

Another link.

cheers

gailt

Newly Enlightened
two of the best with the horizontal sheath are one of doziers or the Ed Cafferty EBK1 the cafferty is forged 1084 steel I love mine.neither are cheap but,both well worth the money

Dirty Bob

Newly Enlightened
Re: Fixed blade for CCW? Look at the Mercharness!

Regardless of the knife you choose, you may want to look at the Mercharness (www.mercop.com). Ten bucks delivered gets you an ultralight, reversible paracord shoulder holster rig. It could also be used to carry an extra knife, or a flashlight, or a spare mag. for a pistol. What you're buying is a very smart, well thought out design, with no knots to print through clothes or scratch or pinch or pull hairs. I'm pleased with mine, and I think it's a realistic alternative to neck carry, which is unsuitable for defense.

Regards,
Dirty Bob

LVC2

Newly Enlightened
:goodjob: I appreciate everyone's suggestions. Looks like I've got a lot of shopping to do in order to sort through the candidates. I looked at a few Strider's in person a short time ago but couldn't help but wonder what made them worth the big money. (At least to me.) I don't envision any protracted cutting sessions with this knife so I don't feel like blade material is too critical as long as the knife is sturdy enough. The Cold Steel Braveheart http://www.coldsteel.com/braveheart.html might be an inexpensive option as well.

Dirty Bob

Newly Enlightened
If steel/cutting ability isn't all that important, you could also look for CRKT knives. Their fixed blades aren't all that expensive, so you could buy two and grind/file the edge and point off one to make a trainer. I've heard good things about their Ryan design.

The bad things about CRKT:
1. Lousy sheaths. You'll need to make or buy a replacement
2. So-so heat treatment. Their blades aren't famous for edge holding.

Best wishes,
Dirty Bob

G1ZM0

Newly Enlightened
In addition to the other suggestions, you might want to check out the Becker necker ( I know no neck knives but it's a nice little knife) . The SOG Pentagons look interesting and Shivworks is also worth looking at.

LVC2

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't say cutting ability isn't important but I feel like I can get most blade material pretty darn sharp. I'm just not too worried about it holding that edge. I don't plan to use it for anything that might dull it before I need it in a SHTF situation.