Review: Inka Titanium Pen

cy

Flashaholic
almost bought the stainless version last night. didn't know if it was worth the extra for ti version.

not much machining or much ti material involved for ti tube to justify an extra $65 or 3x stainless price. and this is coming from a ti nut.

Brangdon

Newly Enlightened
I've just one too, except I went for the $25 model. I'm pleased with it. I'll mostly compare it to the classic "bullet" Fisher Space Pen.

I find the "quick-use pen" can be too small to be comfortable. It's like writing with a pencil stub - it's less than 3 inches long.That's about 3/4" shorter than a bare Fisher Space Pen. It's much better than a naked Fisher refill, however, and much better than the tiny pens you get with some Swiss Army Knives.

The "full-size pen" is fine for writing with, but can be a bit fiddly to assemble. It's not like pulling a pen out of your pocket and using it. Nor is it as easy as taking the top off a Fisher Space Pen and putting it on the end as an extension. You have to unscrew two pieces, screw one in and push in another. When you do that it becomes 5" long, which is great.

When stowed the Inka is shorter, thinner and lighter than a Fisher, but still not really small enough to go in my wallet. It really belongs on a keyring. Build quality is good. The design is good generally - there's no wasted space and I can't see how I would improve it. I've not tested the water-proofness yet.

So far the writing quality of the nib has been better - Fisher pens are prone to ink "globs". I've not seen any globs from the Inka despite it using similar pressurised ink. I'd be interested in comments from other users about this. It seems to write as well as a Fisher on wet paper, upside down etc.

The PDF stylus seems like an after-thought. As far as I can tell it can only be used in "quick use" mode. I suppose it's better to have than not, but it doesn't make much difference to me.

The $25 include postage to the UK. I'm not sure I'd bother with the expensive version.

Although I've mentioned a few negative points, overall it works. It's an every-day carry pen. It's the first solution that has actually worked for me. I am finding I use it nearly as often as I use my EDC torch or knife, and much more often than some of the other stuff I carry around. Now I just need a girl to give me her phone number so I can write it down quick. I'm sure she'll be impressed.

RH

Enlightened
I gave a lot of thought to how I would make the assembly of the full size pen easier and I couldn't think of a better way while still maintaining all of the current benefits. I really think they did a good job.

As far as which version, titanium or steel, I didn't have a steel version to compare to, but I can't imagine it would make that much difference. I would probably buy 2 of the steel version for $50 and have one on my keychain and one in my coat pocket.

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Best,
Robert

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got one this past week from a fellow CPF member, and I like it a lot. I really don't find it to be uncomfortable using the mini-pen. Then again, I'm not writing any thing lengthy with it, either (full length would be more practical for that, anyway.). It writes well, but it takes a few scribbles to get the ink to start, which was unexpected, being that it has a pressurized cartridge, but I don't find it to be inconveniencing. My original thought was, "I hope it doesn't pop out and get lost", but it doesn't seem like that will happen. Originally, I thought it was a screw in pen, but it just clicks back it there. A screw in might have been a little better, though. Not sure why they didn't make it that way. So far (after a whole four days), it's great.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Nice review and comments here regarding this particular EDC'able Inka. So far, the A.T. Cross Stainless Steel Ion and the Black Out Fisher is what I have in the "mini" sized pens. Looking out for more, but want to hear input from others first such as here.

Enjoy!

Lightbringer

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone put the pen on an actual bunch of keys and EDC'd it? I'm wondering if the finish will wear off or scratch up. I usually carry a AAA arc and leatherman micra on my keys, so I'm wondering if i can expect to have the 'inka' design rub off and the metal show signs of wear. thanks.

justjim

Newly Enlightened
i've had the inka (ss) on my key ring for the past 4 months. i also have an arc aaa and 6 keys on the same key ring. the inka label is etched onto the surface so it should last a good long while. the finish still looks fine, but i don't mind a little wear and tear on the tools i use.

i like the inka's ability to be removed easily from the key ring, but assembling it into the full size mode does take about 16 seconds (just timed myself) using both hands. but it sure is convenient to have a pen available whenever you need it. i like it.

-jim

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine has been on my keyring for awhile, with a Spyderco Jester, Arc AAA, Utilikey, glowring and 5 keys. No damage to report to my stainless version, and I've used it several times. No globbing ink yet.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's what I hate about carrying the Fisher pen. Go to use it and get ink all over your hands. I think, and this is just a wild guess, that when closed, the tip of the pen hits the inside of the cap, putting pressure on the ballpoint and squirting out ink.

I've looked at the Inka, and wondered just how quickly it would covert to a full-size. Looks nice, but I'd probably just as well carry my Cross stainless.

nethiker

Enlightened
Thanks for the comments guys. I'm considering an Inka as a backup to my Fisher. I need something for when I forget to unclip the Fisher from my t-shirt and it gets "lost" in the laundry till my wife finds it again.

Brangdon

Newly Enlightened
After a few weeks, my steel pen is showing signs of scuffing. My keyring is a hostle environment, with a prybaby and an m4 multitool on it too. The scuffing doesn't bother me.

It takes me about 10 seconds to assemble the full-sized pen.