Light stolen today

Chris201W

Enlightened
I had a light stolen today, a Minimag with Opalec Newbeam. I keep this light in my bag all the time for reading in the dark. Today, there was a schoolwide assembly (which was ironically about how supportive the student body is of each other) and we were not allowed to bring our bags with us (not enough room I guess...) so I left in in the lecture hall where I was having class, along with everyone else. When I came back after the assembly, I see all the pockets in my bag unzipped with stuff shuffled around. It was quite obvious someone was going through my bag. They took a pack of mints (which I don't really care about) and the Minimag. I guess I'm lucky they didn't take the Fenix L1P or the Ti-83 calculator which were in the same pocket...

I've had this aweful sick feeling all day. The light shouldn't be difficult to replace, but there's something about the lack of respect for property and the fact that I'll never know who the thief was that's eating me alive.

I suppose I should give the teacher a verbal thrashing for not locking the room as he should have, but then again, I should have taken my bag with me. That's the last time the school convinces me my stuff will be safe anywhere but in my locker or on my person.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I'd bring it up so someone in authority for sure. Chances are that someone will be saying, "I got the coolest mini-mag"...maybe they'll get caught?! Hopefully...

VWTim

Enlightened
That's not good to hear. I remember the school always telling us to leave stuff in the event of an "emergency"(drills included) not a chance I'm leaving my stuff, except those times the teacher specifically locks the room up on our exit.

igabo

Enlightened
Man, that really stinks; I'll be keeping the same thing in mind leaving my backpack out of my sight. Too many valuables to loose; also carry a TI-84, and some other stuff I wouldn't want to loose.

Hope you'll find the person responsible, and hope appropriate action is taken.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear that, the feeling of your property being violated is not a good one. Its one more time that shows you, there is no leaving anything you value out when you are not watching it. You just cannot trust people sad to say, the bad ones ruin it for everyone of the good honest people.

paulr

Flashaholic
Do say something to the teacher. Other students may also be missing stuff.

frisco

Enlightened
One time along time ago.... when I was in Jr. High School. Somebody stole my tire pump off my bike. I was able to find out who did it as they were trying to sell it another student. I was so pissed I beat the "Poo Poo" out of two boys at the same time! Held them both on the ground at the same time and alternated face punches!

Disclaimer: I'm not telling any students to get into fights. This happend back in the day when you didn't get in real trouble for fighting in school.

frisco

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
Alternating face punches. SWEET! I leave my bag all over but only when it has un important stuff in it. I keep a fairly cheap light in my bag in case somebody does try to steal it. But sometimes I leave stuff like my calculator or my ipod:huh: Unattended in my bag. Its funny, are dean just gave a school yelling at today about stealing, because some punks stole everyone's wallet from the boys locker room, luckily I wasn't among those who had something stolen. I got to start keeping a closer eye on my stuff....

Navck

Enlightened
VWTim said:
That's not good to hear. I remember the school always telling us to leave stuff in the event of an "emergency"(drills included) not a chance I'm leaving my stuff, except those times the teacher specifically locks the room up on our exit.

Simply, when this happened, my class ignored this rule and grabbed their backpacks, I decided that it would of been a good idea since our teacher did not have a key for her room at that time. But when you feel 50 pounds, and its grass versus a rolling backpack, you suddenly will regret your choice. I sure did that day.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's obviously not a flashaholic that stole it then; maybe he didn't even know how to turn the Fenix on. :laughing:

Sorry to hear about your loss; thieves suck. They are parasites.

Chris201W

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies, guys. I will definately report it, but I have a feeling the person will never get caught unless they wave the light around all day or something. The administration at the school doesn't care enough to actually do anything about relatively inexpensive stolen property. Also, it literally could have been anyone in the school (roughly 1200 people) who stole it, and they wouldn't have looked out of place either. The room was a lecture hall which a lot of people use, not a smaller classroom.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris201W said:
I've had this aweful sick feeling all day. The light shouldn't be difficult to replace, but there's something about the lack of respect for property and the fact that I'll never know who the thief was that's eating me alive.

I can definately relate to this. I've had 2 bags stolen over the years from vehicles with assorted personal belongings, as well as a CD collection stolen from my dorm room in college. It definately is a horrible feeling of violation- helplessness mixed with blind rage. I guess you take it in stride a bit more as you get older, but it never goes away entirely.

All I can say is you are right for expecting never to get the light back, but you have to hope the person who took it either enjoys it and becomes a newly converted flashaholic that contributes to the industry ;) or is a miserable person that will get his/her comeuppance eventually (more likely). Either way, be glad they didn't take something much more valuable and hard to replace.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Sorry to hear that. I had a SureFire 6P stolen (and a TI Scientific calculator) from my bag when I was going to college in Monterey.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:awman: Anytime something is stolen, no matter what the relative value, it is hard to shake the feeling of being violated.

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wha leukos said. What matters is that a theft of property occurred & it should be reported & the culprit caught & duly punished hopefully! :scowl:

Protaeus

Enlightened
I hope the thief blinds himself with the light and proceeds to stumble into oncoming traffic........or a train.....a train would be nice too...

:)

Englander

Newly Enlightened
Back in the days when i was in School I had my calculator stolen once, found out who did it, they had scratched my name off it where you write it on. Thankfully im clever, so i put my name on it in 2 places, i told the teacher. He "lent" the calculator off the boy to do a sum, and when he finished (finding my name where i said) he gave me the calculator instead of handing it back.

Sufficed to say i got a brand new calculator out of it and he got his *** busted and a note in his permenant record. I was buzzin all week :grin2: . Scum.

I never leave anything valuable unlocked if i can help it, even with "normal" friends who i hang around with, ive had issues in the past, jokes or otherwise, its still stealing.

And one thing hits home more than anything.. DO NOT LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN! We tend to learn more from bad things than good things.
Craig.

P.S. Death to all Scallies/Chavs (If your in the UK, you'll know what I mean :grin2: )

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is realy low, the same thing happened to me a few years back,
my bag was stolen, it had my calculator, class notes, pens, text books,
the things I realy needed. The worst part about it It was stolen the day before my Exams, when it was needed most.
I hope that someone saw the culprit steal your things and tells the school
co ordinator.