surefire A2 and correct LED color choice

Draydur

Newly Enlightened
The problem with the surefire A2 is choice. I had to buy 2 units to realize why they offer 4 choices.

It's hard enough to look at Surefire and sort through it all and decide on a regulated incandescent much less one that offers a secondary 3 LED beam with color choice. I was unfortunate in that I was offered blue (I said no thanks) or green(OK ...I guess) at my 1st visit to my dealer.

So I was the proud owner of a green A2.
hmmmm... too bright but a great incandecant beam. I was offered red or yellow green the next week. Well red puts my depth perception off and is about as bright as yellow green, but YG also seems to hit something close to real color... never saw something so dim that did not disturb my dark adapted eyes and offered something approaching color accuracy... well not great but better than red I say.

sooo-oo... I have a bright green and a yellow green A2.

The question is why I guess.

For dark adapted eyes the yellow green wins hands down.
but....
if you put a blue filter on the green A2 you get a 2 stage LED and 2 Stage incan...a 4 stage A2 for 8 bucks ! This is the one called Bushmaster and features a flip up filter and a stretchy tube that fits the A2. I see surefire no longer markets these but google bushmaster and you can still get them.

now my wife wants the yellow green and I am not sure the filter is so great... :awman:
hmmmmm-mm :huh2:

yes it is.

I get to keep my HDS EDC U60xrgt... :whistle:

I wanted to tell you that the green A2 LED's seem to be like the difference between 1 lumen and 10 lumens on the HDS EDC U60. What I mean is factory on and 3 clicks for those who are familiar with the U60 unit.

The flip up filter is not for everyone, but the additional brightness green gives and the comporable level with the filter down led me to share this info. Kind of a 4 stage light this way.

Of course I should spend another 2 yards and get a white ....right?
Not!!
I wana Ti-PD !!

Aloha Don? :candle:
hope this helps and others chime in, move the post, delete, come over and steal my lights... LOL :dedhorse:

best
Mike

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Draydur,

I think you need to sand those green LEDs and quit complaining about them! :nana:

Draydur

Newly Enlightened
leukos said:
Draydur,

I think you need to sand those green LEDs and quit complaining about them! :nana:
I did sand them and it's awsome !
I was going to dump the light and now I have 2.
easiest mod and most dramatic I've seen. don't know why surefire doesn't do it. The incan bulb is frosted (sanded) on top.

If not for the dazzeling beam of the U60 on all levels I would say forget about the A2. But what ever is viewed in the A2's beam takes on a quality that nothing but the sun can illuminate...
'nuff said
thanks
Mike :laughing:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Dradur,

In dark adapted situations, I find the yellow/green works very well.

It is quite dim and I wonder if they are using different resistor values for the yellow/green LED's.

Tom

Latest posts