A2 Avaitor light arrived today

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Surefire A2 w/ GREEN LEDs arrived today.
when I turned on the light, the Green Leds came on then, the white incan,with green Leds on as well.
is this normal????

ANW

Newly Enlightened
You got yourself a great light there as you use it you'll grow to love it even more. The led's come on first, then the incandecent, later after there is not enough power to run the incandecents it drops to the leds with plenty of hours run time on the led's. It's a great light that i'm going to order a few extra for me, one for my uncle and one for my cousin in the army flying choppers in Iraq.

SCblur

Enlightened
Congrats on the A2, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed mine. Great light!

InfidelCastro

Banned
I'm wondering, doesn't this leave a colored tint in the beam? I don't know, just seems like a bad idea to me, not so much with white LED's, but with green and red ones.. hmm..

SCblur

Enlightened
InfidelCastro said:
I'm wondering, doesn't this leave a colored tint in the beam? I don't know, just seems like a bad idea to me, not so much with white LED's, but with green and red ones.. hmm..

the led's are so dim compared to the incan beam, that at any distance of consequence, the incan beam far overpowers the led beam. it is noticeable at close range against a wall, but in real life use, at medium ranges and beyond, it isn't an issue. Good thought though, I worried about this before I got mine.

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
Right now in Fortaleza Brazil on the 16th floor of an apt. building and I light up everything on the ground floor, you wont be disappointed.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the rings in the beam start to bother you, they can be easily sanded to make a smoother beam. :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
cobra-ak said:
Right now in Fortaleza Brazil on the 16th floor of an apt. building and I light up everything on the ground floor...
That's what I'm talking about. Carrot, you're evil; you're making me want an A2. :nana:

carrot

Flashaholic
greenLED said:
That's what I'm talking about. Carrot, you're evil; you're making me want an A2. :nana:
Have you gotten your U2 back yet? If not... perfect excuse to get an A2 while you wait! :D

greenLED

Flashaholic
carrot said:
Have you gotten your U2 back yet? If not... perfect excuse to get an A2 while you wait! :D
"It should take two more weeks, Sir." :(

See? You keep doing it! Between you and Jason... who needs enemies with "evil" friends like you? ;)

Are the white LED's really ringy, blue, and ugly? Typical Nichia CS? :green:

rcashel11

Newly Enlightened
Congrats, tsask!

Beware, greenLED! Carrot is the one most responsible for my purchasing the A2!
grinser2.gif

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
rcashel11 said:
Beware, greenLED! Carrot is the one most responsible for my purchasing the A2!
grinser2.gif
Hehe, I am becoming the ultimate A2 evangelist!

Nope, the beam is not ringy. On the outer edges of the hotspot is a shape like a 3-leaf clover for the sidespill, but in every day use it is unnoticeable. Actually, after having used it for a while and then trying it on a white wall, I was surprised to see what a strangely shaped beam it has -- it's pretty similar to what you get from the Nite-Ize module in a Minimag -- you don't really notice it unless you're looking at the beam itself. The A2 does appear to have a bluer hotspot than the Nite-Ize, though, but it's hardly bothersome to me.

logarithmic

Newly Enlightened
carrot said:
Hehe, I am becoming the ultimate A2 evangelist!

Nope, the beam is not ringy. On the outer edges of the hotspot is a shape like a 3-leaf clover for the sidespill, but in every day use it is unnoticeable. Actually, after having used it for a while and then trying it on a white wall, I was surprised to see what a strangely shaped beam it has -- it's pretty similar to what you get from the Nite-Ize module in a Minimag -- you don't really notice it unless you're looking at the beam itself. The A2 does appear to have a bluer hotspot than the Nite-Ize, though, but it's hardly bothersome to me.

I must be unlucky or something, I've got pretty noticable artifacts in my beam. Although that doesn't matter because on my long list of light-related purchases is getting a different LED ring from SF.

But its a beautiful light, aint it?