This adware is really pissing me off.

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had this adware on my machine for months. It always brings up popups through IE and I can't get rid of the MFPOS. How do I get rid of it? The name of it is trogan.vundo, any helpful info would be appreciated

Sturluson

Enlightened
Really, Firefox is great. Completely eliminates adware and popups on my PC.

My other machine is a Mac, which I use 90% of the time. And no problems EVER with any of these issues...

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I stopped using IE years ago, but sometimes it is required for certain sites, so I use it begrudgingly.

emrbrtn

Enlightened
1) Use Firefox

2) Get a Mac

There are many good spyware programs, I have used adaware and spybot. I like adaware better but you can use both.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
emrbrtn said:
1) Use Firefox

2) Get a Mac

There are many good spyware programs, I have used adaware and spybot. I like adaware better but you can use both.

1) Get a Mac

2) Use Camino

nirad

Enlightened
I had the same problem. My solution was to wipe the drive and re-install the OS. I then purchased Stopzilla which to date, have had no popups at all or spyware. Sometimes I have to disable it in order to log on to some of my investment sites. Most popups and spyware/malware is designed to attack Microsoft IE. Firefox avoids these prolems with great sucess and can be dloaded on the net. Good luck:)

Ned-L

Enlightened
I have not had any show up since installing Microsoft Antispyware (which was a free download).

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
emrbrtn said:
1) Use Firefox

2) Get a Mac

As long as these remain a tiny, tiny part of the overall market this may be true. If I can hit less than 10% of the Windows market with something I'm *way* ahead of hitting 100% of the Mac market.
Recently it appears that the same people who brought you most of this stuff have been paying attention to the Mac and incidents are on the rise. The Mac switching to Intel will also help. 'nix and Intel are where a lot of these people cut their teeth.
But Apple is selling iPod sizzle these days and the future of the Mac is getting a bit cloudy.

Apple has always sold the sizzle.
Remember that Steve Jobs told everyone, in no uncertain terms, that Apple PCs running the IBM PowerMac CPU were faster than Intel-based PCs. Period. End of discussion. We here at PC Mag had a hard time verifying those claims because of platform differences, but the test we were able to run usually proved Jobs wrong.

So the PowerPC microprocessor was more than fast enough for Macs until, well, it wasn't. Now the new Intel Macs are the fastest Apple systems ever. Jobs said so and he clearly believes it. The Borg always believe what they say.

Blazer

Enlightened
Just use hitman pro, it includes all those others, ie. adaware, spybot, a virus scanner. I haven't run across anything it can't beat. It used to be only in dutch but they have now added an english installation option.

IE sucks now that I've been using Firefox, no popups.

www.hitmanpro.nl

Loomy

Enlightened
Just FYI, as proven by various research groups, NOD32 is the best virus scanner/remover, and Ewido is the best spyware scanner/remover.

Suggestions to use a mac/firefox/whatever is just partly security through obscurity, and partly no extra security at all. Two things will get spyware on your machine: exploitable bugs in your software, and human error. If you keep IE up to date with Windows Update, it is no more exploitable than Firefox. And human error just means running files from emails or websites that you should not be running. And no browser can prevent you from doing that -- only smarts and an active scanner can save you there.