Should i stay up for the night? need quick answers

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this tour of ivy league schools tommorrow and have to wake up at 4 AM. I am considering staying up for 2 reasons. one because I am nowhere near tired right now, and two, I am teh hardest person to wake up in my family. Waking up for school at 7 is a pain, so I dont think i can manage 4.

drizzle

Enlightened
I don't know what time you normally go to sleep but if it's around midnight or before then I would say go to sleep. Yes, you will be hard to wake up and feel lousy for the first couple of hours but you will last longer and stay sharper as the day wears on.

Voice of experience here, trying it both ways.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
pab, I agree to that, but the thing is that even at this time falling asleep for me is a challenge. im kinda loaded on caffeine and bad sleep habits (spring break for me right now)

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't fall asleep easily at all. No matter how tired I am. Then when I am asleep, I finaly feel comfortable, and it's so hard to get up. I will sleep right through an alarm right next to my head blaring loud, or on music cranked to max. I've never done an all nighter all day thing, but if I had to get up at 4, no problem I'd still be up at that time. I'd go to bed durring the day after it was over.. but I'm on a bad schedule.

carrot

Flashaholic
Take short, 30-40 minute naps until you've got to leave. When you sleep for shorter periods of time and don't go into "deep sleep," you'll find yourself feeling more refreshed than if you just woke up in the middle of the deep sleep phase.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Turn all lights off, get in bed, and stay there. Especially if you have a big day tomorrow, you'll need to be rested to take full advantage of it.

:thinking: Funny thing is, I went on 5-6 hours of sleep through my highschool years and even into college. If I don't sleep at least 7 hours these days, I'm toast for the next couple of days. Must be the age thingy: :lolsign:

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot said:
Take short, 30-40 minute naps until you've got to leave. When you sleep for shorter periods of time and don't go into "deep sleep," you'll find yourself feeling more refreshed than if you just woke up in the middle of the deep sleep phase.

Absolutely, although for me it has to be in the 10 - 20 minute range to work, at 30 minutes I'm dead.

Read Farley Mowitt's "Never Cry Wolf" for some fun info on this - and why getting in the habit can be bad for your relationships.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I had to get up at 1AM PST in Providence, RI last friday for an early flight towards home. I feel your pain! (Somewhat, still.) :D
Larry

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Green, I think it has to do with your body getting used to getting so much sleep now that it freaks out. You could probably go back to the 5-6 hr after a while and get by. You wouldn't feel perfect all the time, but I bet you didn't back then either. I found that if you get less than 5, like 4, the max you can go is 1 week before it starts to mess with you though.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Drink milk and take Nyquil. I'm an insomniac and that puts me to sleep within 30 minutes.

Last edited:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
True true - I had to pull an all-nighter my first day of work and it sucked BIG TIME. Spent the day sitting in ice-cold water splashing my face just to stay awake. Sleep is worth it :)

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
LowBat said:
Drink milk and take Nyquil. I'm an insomniac and that puts me to sleep within 30 minutes.
ceilings1ex.png
[/URL][/IMG]

If you don't get your sleep, do you feel like you're walking on a slippery ceiling, as your sig implies ?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Another vote for sleep. Anything is better than none at all.

(Swinging pocketwatch from chain)...you are getting sleeeeeeeepy...... :sleepy:

TorchMan

Enlightened
I'd at least lay down and shut my eyes. I understand about sleep schedules and insomnia, believe me on that. Tell me I have to be awake at a certain early time and that's enough to make me toss and turn. Your mileage may vary, but I agree with others here that it's better to try or at least recline than to stay awake. In all my years (and they are adding up, believe me) only a few times did it work out to stay awake. No matter what it sounds as if you have the chance to make up for the lost time afterward.

I used to need less sleep in high school as well. My circle of peers and I all need more now. Glad to hear it's not only us. Makes me doubt those reports of adults needing to sleeping less as they age!

Good luck on the tour, old bean!