I'm Flashaholically dead.....

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really hate admitting it to you guys and myself, but I think that I am now flashaholically dead. I havent been on in the past few months (or often that is) due to schoolwork and such and now I dont feel that desire for more flashlights, which we all know is what makes a flashaholic a flashaholic right? :D. I still use my lights, and I always will, but I wont have the passion for more of them and more knowledge of them. Ill try being here alot though, because I still owe alot to this community.

Delvance

Enlightened
Don't feel so bad. Schoolwork should take priority over flashlights and if you're so absorbed into your work, that's good. Hopefully it'll get you some good marks and you'll have some money now too ;). You can always rekindle your love affair with them when you're working and have lots of money to buy/build nice custom ones! :grin2:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the flashaholism goes in cycles for just about everyone, though sometimes one really does decide to just move on. The cycles usually correspond with new product releases. When there is a lull from new lights on the scene, folks tend to lose a little interest in the hobby. When lots of new things are being offered, it can be a challenge to keep up with all the new posts! :)

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
This has happened to me several times and each time it was a new product or some type of item I wished to mod that brought my attention back.

The latest time it was the purchase of a new Wolf-Eyes duty light and I was quickly hooked again however this time it was on incandescents rather than the Luxeon craze.

The previous time I had grown bored with lights and it was the RAW NS that got me hooked again and I began buying up various rechargeable Li-Ion cells to experiment with.

For me it is such an interesting hobby that I always return to it in time. I may get bored from time to time however products are advancing so quickly that I find myself often amazed each time I get back into it. There is always something new or some maker that has a cool toy. Yes you will go full circle however once a light person always a light person I believe.

My biggest problem is that with each return trip my wants seem to rise in cost. Early on in my interest I was happy to tinker with a 5 dollar Solitaire and a crappy 5mm LED from RadioShack. Now I am not happy unless I am attempting to mod a 100 plus dollar light the size of a peanut (RAW NS) At one time I was also happy to buy a 6 dollar bargain light (Dorcy AAA) and now it takes much more than that to get me going. (FF2,Fenix...etc:)

Yes keep thinking you can walk away anytime...ha we all think that at times and now we are much more poorer with plenty of lights.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
It's a far more important stage of life that you're entering. Stop by when you can. Flashaholics never die, they just dim to 50% and change batteries.

Geoff

liquidsix

Enlightened
This is good... save yourself some money.... and your friends don't question how weird you are for liking flashlights anymore.

TorchMan

Enlightened
I've become sated on lights myself. If you have good lights and use them your mission may be fullfilled for now. Sounds like you are devoting your extra time to worthy causes. It can't hurt to have the extra money from not buying lights either. Don't know if you're into LEDs, but they are only getting better. Waiting will let you skip the moderate improvements and go straight to the mega advances. That's one thing I'm telling myself.

It's a great community, you're right about that. I post more in the off-topic section now than any on-topic ones. Really it seems that I have too many lights, I may sell off a few down the line.

Santelmo

Enlightened
Flying Turtle said:
It's a far more important stage of life that you're entering. Stop by when you can. Flashaholics never die, they just dim to 50% and change batteries.

Geoff

Sweet answer Geoff.

We change many times in our lives, sometimes subtly, sometimes in stages, or by leaps and bounds. I think everyone knows this community isn't just great because of the flashlights.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm there too, but that's because it's not officially PHOTOGRAPHY SEASON!!!!! (let the fairs and festivals begin, I'm ready to roll!!!) <grin>.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a smart guy who can be satisfied with what he's got, at least for awhile. I mean, if you have fairly state-of-the-art lights now, just wait a few years until there are some real changes in technology before upgrading again. Same goes for computers, digital cameras, cell phones--anything that goes obsolete quickly because the technology isn't yet mature.

People who must have the absolute latest and greatest all the time end up blowing a lot of money with nothing to show for it a few years later. I wonder if a Luxeon of today will still be that impressive five years from now.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't call myself flashaholically dead, but I feel that I've climbed all the mountains I've set out to climb. I've owned some of the most awesome lights available (with the exception of some tremendously overpriced special editions, which I don't have the $$ to afford). In terms of the technology, I've got something in every power class and I have my personal favorites down pat, to the point where they're not changing. My EDC lights are pretty much constants after nonstop carry for close to 18 months and being completely unable to find anything that tops them.

I've got a few mods to my name, a few popular mods that are helping out other folks, and LUDICROUS lumens avaliable on command (currently: USL, homemade 35W HID spot, Supernova 35W HID spot came earlier this week). I'm happy...... :)

For the hopelessly afflicted, there is an end in sight - when you own or have built something in every available power class.

My tech levels are 3mm LED, 5mm LED, 1W Lux, 3W Lux, 5W Lux, <60 lumen incan, 100lu incan, 200lu incan, 350lu incan, 500lu incan, 1000lu incan, >2K lumen incan, 10W HID, 24W HID, >30W HID. beentheredoneitall :D

But it's not the end of the road: I am still looking for higher mountains to climb. Right now, the only mountain that still defies me are the kilowatt-class tank spotlights, but I have neither the engineering expertise, gensets, or physical space to house them. Just firing them up would **** off everybody in the neighborhood so bad I'd be explaining myself for weeks. So I'll pass on that at the moment. Remember, that when you clock your 35W homemade HID at a range of 1500 feet, that it can be *SEEN* for a 1.5kft radius around you. Simple calculations - if you can see the beam at 1.5kft bouncing off your target back to your eyes, anybody in a circle can, too.

Plus, as has been said, it's the community that keeps me here rather than anything else. I have always enjoyed the company and the extraordinary folks who make up CPF, so whether or not I am buying lights at the moment (I'm not), I still enjoy the community for everything it is.

Last edited:

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
It's cyclical. I was on the fence awhile, then the Fenixes started to roll out, and the combination of price point and performance perked my ears up! After another lull, the Target clearances were upon us, and that was fun, cuz I'm always giving away flashlights! Do any of us really *need* more lights? I doubt it, but there's always going to be something new, or on sale, or some friend or relative who needs a flashlight, and *boom!* yer back in it!

daloosh

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I am too after getting my new glasses. LEDs arent the miracle reading beam they use to be. As for regular lights, who needs them.

Sure its cool you can get light from a semiconductor vs a piece of wire, but its not like much earth breaking has taken place.

Maybe next time you visit this place some new technology will be out. Maybe a 4 watt led light that runs on a fuel cell and has a 5 gallon camel pack you wear to fuel it for a few hours? :)

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
it always seems like after the shot show or when a new light comes out I go thru a "hot period" where i'm on all the time....

It will then cool until the next big thing (or new need) :)

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mags said:
I really hate admitting it to you guys and myself, but I think that I am now flashaholically dead. I havent been on in the past few months (or often that is) due to schoolwork and such and now I dont feel that desire for more flashlights, which we all know is what makes a flashaholic a flashaholic right? :D. I still use my lights, and I always will, but I wont have the passion for more of them and more knowledge of them. Ill try being here alot though, because I still owe alot to this community.

Trust me -- You're not dead you're just in a 'light coma.

You'll snap out of it somewhere between getting a paycheck and getting married... Then another coma while the kiddies are teeny... Then your kids will like your cool lights, much brighter than their friends' lights and you'll be back at it. Halloween also calls for lots of lighting.

Not that you're life's predesigned or anything. Hehe.

(I'm starting a business. Have been for a while. I'm in a [flash]light coma too.)