Ideas to attach flashlights to a bicycle (Please no duct tape ideas)

UVLaser

Enlightened
Any one got any ideas on how to make a home made flashlight bicycle holders? Because its a pity that I have so many flashlights and I can't attach any to my bicycle. :(
And just a reminder don't post any ideas that evolves the use of duct tape or any other sticky materiel/substanes.

Thanks!!!!

Last edited:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wire ties (tie wraps) and plumber's pipe insulation. Foam insulation around the light or bike tube then wire tie the light to the bike. Low tech but it works.

-LT

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why homemade? Holders are cheap.. $8 for the third-party holders that'll easily keep a Mag2C on the bike. I have a couple extra, PM me if you need them.

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Twofish lockblocks are great for up to a U2 - any larger and they tend to wobble a bit, though if that doesn't bother you, they're still good. I haven't tried a 2C Mag but would think it's a little small for that.

I find it perfect for my L4. I got the Three-fer so I have a Q3, U2, and L4 on my bike all at once. This is in addition to a 15 watt halogen Niterider so needless to say, I'm seen!!!!

Everett

Newly Enlightened
loop a ranger band over the head of the light, run it under the bar, and loop it over the tail end. adjustable angle too

greenLED

Flashaholic
Here's a recent thread on the Twofish Lockblocks. I did a GB some time ago; that thread has pics and lots of specs, reviews, etc. Search old posts started by me and you'll find it.

The Cyclopsblocks are velcro straps reinforced with nylon webbing (the velcro is extra tough too) but cost $10 for one. The Lockblocks are made out of the velcro straps, but you can get a set of 3 for $10 and reinforce them yourself if you're handy with a sewing machine (not that they need reinforcing, but I just like sewing). Either way, they're excellent for attaching lights to bike frames.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zip ties?

I know this thread is SUPER old but this comment above inspired me to try it for my first nighttime ride tonight:

Sunwayman C21Cvn

Nitecore TM11:

Both lights are very secure but especially the TM11 because I connected the base to the handlebar and the head to a hole on the brake handle bracket. I haven't ridden with them yet (heading out in a few minutes with the wife) but I'm sure both are going to work great. Obviously this is only a temporary or once-in-a-while solution. I typically don't ride at night but my wife and I have been riding after work the last few weeks and she had to work later than usual so this is my solution!

Thanks!

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
Zip ties are good but one time soulutions. although there so cheap you could do afford to lose two zip ties every night ride even if you ride say three of four times a week at night...I don't know why I did not think about it before for the D40A , I want to mount!!! Im AMZED no one mentioned RUBBER BANDS. you could even helmet mount it!!! lock block just is not large enuf for my application, im gonna order a large clone one super cheap just to see if it might work, but I guess zip ties are the way forward, and just carry some extra ones in the jersy pocket in case you need to redo or take the light off. gonna get me some bands and ties to play with tommro see what I can come up with, helmet mount will be most sercure id imagine.

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
On any of these super cheap websites, you can search for 'gun mount' or 'light mount' and get hundreds of items intended for mounting lights on guns. Many of these can be adapted for a bike because they pivot at the center. Others cannot. But there are many specifically for this exact purpose (or at least marketed as such). Some are rubber and velcro, while others have plastic or metal clamps with screws/bolts. All are under 5USD. I use the velcro and rubber versions for under 3USD and they work great for both regular sized (for me, RCR123/e-series) or funny sized (like the SPY) lights.

obi

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Get some foam insulation tubes for copper tubing. Slice it vertically through one wall so it's still one piece that opens. Get a foam beer can holder for the tm11. Get some para cord or equally resilient stuff. Mount it like so... Handlebar, foam tubing, tm11 inside beer holder, wrap it up with para cord. Preferably, mount it in the middle to reduce the lateral forces when turning or in the occurrence of sudden jarring.

for added non slippage, get some anti roll pads for car dashboards, stick that between the foam tube and handlebar.

Last edited:

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get some foam insulation tubes for copper tubing. Slice it vertically through one wall so it's still one piece that opens. Get a foam beer can holder for the tm11. Get some para cord or equally resilient stuff. Mount it like so... Handlebar, foam tubing, tm11 inside beer holder, wrap it up with para cord. Preferably, mount it in the middle to reduce the lateral forces when turning or in the occurrence of sudden jarring.

for added non slippage, get some anti roll pads for car dashboards, stick that between the foam tube and handlebar.

I just ordered some TwoFish LockBlocks for my smaller lights but that is an AWESOME idea for the TM11. Although it held so well the way I had it I'm inclined to just put it in a coozie as you suggest, to protect it from scratches.

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
Just got some rubber bands and zip ties and in combination it is very secure OM the helmet, but the extra weight makes the helmet move even on the helmets smallest setting and its the smallest size in that particular helmet...made me realise my helmet dosent fit to great....gonna have to look into one that fits a bit better.

I am going to bar mount my light and am more than confident it will stay put.