Whats a good office temperature?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive worked in a few offices and its always bothered me to see folks in the summer with the AC on using space heaters. Ive seen this in the state dept I use to work at, call center and now an equipment dealer.

All three offices arent that cool inside. Some cases its cooler outside first thing in the morning. They are rather humid and you only cool down slightly after sitting still for a few minutes.

Anyway, the equipment place where I work its set to 74 degrees and the few men there use a fan at their desks. The women, space heaters.

The call center did not allow space heaters, but did battery operated fans. I had one at my desk and some paper towel to wipe the sweat from my head when I sat down. The other women there wore sweaters, jackers and small blankets in their laps. The other men worse the golf shirts.

Just wondering.......

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
good office temp is 25 degree celcius/77 degree farenheit

TorchMan

Enlightened
When I ran an office, I set the AC on 74 most times. It sure is correct about the differences people are comfortable at. Out of about 40 people, most were okay. Some wore sweaters, others had fans. I had one woman in her early twenties claim it was so cold she couldn't feel her hands. A seventy-something year old woman stood up and told her if she can't feel her hands in this temp, she had a medical problem! And the seventy-something was a sweater wearer. My own office, seperate from the cubicles, I kept at 72. Oh, those were the days!

Topper

Flashaholic*
I work in a non airconditioned factory so I think the front office should be set around 85 with 93% humidity but thats just me. :grin2:
Topper :)

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep my home office (not air conditioned) about 58-62 until the outside temperature starts going up. I don't want it over 70-75, but of course in the summer it's almost 90.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, that's the temp in Canada. sorry. it is colder up here.

I should say 20 degree celcius/68 F for you yankes downsouth.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh.... Yeah, it can get hot outside in the shop. A first the office feels good, then it feels warm pretty quick.

I think my side of the office is unheated, so it can get to 60 something in the winter. Management has heat on their side and they keep their side fairly regulated.

77 huh? Thats a bit warm for me too. I like the 58-60 myself.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see sharper image has a few personal cooling devices. One is a flat fan you wear around your neck and it blows up in your face. It uses tripple a batteries or the usb plug of your computer. They then have a ice chiller that has a built in freezer that works over night and blows cool air during the day.

I think the personal fan would work well in any office place. You could pass it off as a walkman, ipod or something.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Few of the offices I've been in are consistent from one end to another. Always spots where it is cooler or hotter (depending on season). It is a general rule that no outside devices like fans/heaters are to be allowed in the work area...all electrical devices have to be acquired through the dept./hence approval. That said, some have brought in small fans. Heating devices definitely a no-no.

The thermostat is set for 75 but certain areas will be at 72 or 78. The hotter areas have the bank of copy machines, printers...