Airplanes & Lasers- still a problem?

Shocka

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering if people shining lasers into the cockpit was still a problem for pilots. I remember when continuous news stories reported this happening. I haven't heard anything about it lately. I guess maybe now that people know it's against federal law to do it, they have stopped. I read up a little on this topic at http://interesting.parxy.com/laserpointers/lasers_airplanes.html. The latest CNN stories I could find about this were from early 2005. Let me know if anyone has heard anything lately.

drizzle

Enlightened
We've had a couple of stories around here (Seattle area airports, not sure which) in the last year. I don't know if that counts as recent.

As I recall one was a small low powered laser that wouldn't have caused any trouble but the other was a high power one that was truly dangerous to the pilots. I want to say that both parties responsible were found and charged but I don't remember for sure.

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
1. Media hype. The press has moved onto other things. Even worse laser incidents could be happening for all we know, but if the media isn't interested, it won't get reported. The "Green laser scare" seems to be largely a 2005 phenomena.

2. Pilots. I think part of the "problem" was that pilots were alarmed/miffed at the idea that something that cost $50, and was the size of a pen could reach all the way to their aircraft at altitude. We've seen the arguments and math right here that it would take an exceptionaly powerful laser with a very good focus, and an angle that's almost directly head-on, and at final approach to really be a danger. Lasing an aircraft at any power, and at any angle, is still completely and utterly WRONG, of course. I think that the pilots and the FAA were over-hyping the incidents that did happen, and now they've calmed down a bit.

3. The "pranksters". I think that the pranksters with GLP's have learned from the people that have been made example of, that it's not a good idea to point at aircraft. Even if they still have mischevious intent, it's easier to mess with people/things on the ground where there's more chance to see the ruckus or consternation they cause. Pointing at an aircraft is kind of an all-or-nothing proposition. Either nothing happens, and the jerk gets no feedback that the laser was even noticed, or the Police, FBI, and the FAA descend on his neiborhood in force, scaring the crap out of him. The prankster mentality wants to create a disturbance, but they don't want a manhunt either.

4 Terrorisim. The whole undercurrent that fueld the whole airplane/laser scare was the idea that terrorists could use even better lasers to blind aircraft crews and cause crashes. The powers that be have probably decided that lasers will go on the list of "possibles", but that it's unlikely to be used. The terrorists like direct action, and impressive destruction. The laser just dosen't fit into that. Even with a dedicated blinding system better than any pointer, the sky is a big place. It's too easy for the pilot & co-pilot to abort the landing, pull up and away, and try to land elsewhere or later. There's no garantee that they'll be permanantly blinded either. It's too much trouble for uncertain results. I think terrorists would also worry that even in the unlikely event a laser did work, such a crash may not be recognized as terrorisim, and they'd never get credit.

Canuke

Enlightened
AJ_Dual said:
1. Media hype. The press has moved onto other things. Even worse laser incidents could be happening for all we know, but if the media isn't interested, it won't get reported. The "Green laser scare" seems to be largely a 2005 phenomena.

I wish, but I'm inclined to bet that there will eventually be a crackdown on class IIIb and up devices, because of this sort of thing.

From today's Drudge:

Police helicopter shot with green laser

dr_lava

Enlightened
Wow flying a helocipter with night vision goggles to 'find a loud party???'

Sounds like a chance for a joyride to me. You can't hear anything up there, seems that a ground solution would be much better.

That aside, if they didn't have the gen4 night vision that turns off when bright flashes occurr, then yes it is dangerous to get hit while wearing them. It wasn't the pilot, though it was a party searcher. A pilot wouldn't be wearing night vision goggles.

jellyfish414

Newly Enlightened
I'd be interested to know if these are >5mw lasers or <5mw. If just class IIIa and they're causing disorientation to pilots, imagine what a Spyder or Hercules could do.

jkaiser3000

Enlightened
2. Pilots. I think part of the "problem" was that pilots were alarmed/miffed at the idea that something that cost $50, and was the size of a pen could reach all the way to their aircraft at altitude. We've seen the arguments and math right here that it would take an exceptionaly powerful laser with a very good focus, and an angle that's almost directly head-on, and at final approach to really be a danger. Lasing an aircraft at any power, and at any angle, is still completely and utterly WRONG, of course. I think that the pilots and the FAA were over-hyping the incidents that did happen, and now they've calmed down a bit.

Yes, pilots were also responsible for the hype, but it's understandable. You have to consider their situation. I'm also a pilot and can relate. But the problem is in part the lack of knowledge, and in part the real possibility of a disastrous outcome. Even <5mw could be a problem at night and very close ranges. Imagine the pilot trying to land (or taking off), and momentarily distracted by a bright green flash (or blindingly bright for some of the higher powered ones).

On the other hand, there are usually two pilots on the cockpit, and it's very unlikely that the two of them will be blinded simultanously.

Granted, the possibility of something bad happening might be slim, but they are there nonetheless.

The moral of the story is, never shine a laser to any moving object, be it a car, a plane or a helicopter, and certainly not to a UFO as you don't know what their intentions are :grin2:

nerdtoy

Newly Enlightened
Re: Airplanes & Lasers- still a problem? Need laser stuff?

:ohgeez:No sales in the Laser forum, please use the appropriate places of CPF for you sales.
If you continue down this road you will loose your posting privileges.
bernhard

Last edited by a moderator: