FINISHED! come see!!!: Starting a HID project

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Videos at the end!!!!

Hi all!

I been itching for an HID light for a long time, had been putting it off because the high price of the parts or complete lights was in the hundreds of dollars, But since I got a good deal on a HID kit from RalpRusell, I'm gonna go ahead and do it.

Here is the host, it sells at www.Northerntool.com it only sells online here

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200317537_200317537

Pic

LED.jpg

Specs:
  • 7 1/2 million candlepower
  • Spotlight run time on full charge is 30 minutes
  • Dim light setting run time is 40 minutes
  • Cold cathode run time is 13 hours
  • LED setting run time is 21 hours
  • AC charging time is 15 hours
  • Charging time (AC or DC) is 15 hours
  • Weight is 8.58 pounds
  • Dimensions, are 12" x 10.6" x 11"
I went to Northerntool store but they don't have it anywhere, it's an online deal only, price is $69.99 and has free shipping. The sales rep looked it up on their computer and it rings at $59.99 and I can have them order it and pick it up when it arrives. I will do that and save $10.

The salesman let me see what other information he had on the light at the sales terminal, and found the following

The light is made by sunforce, found their website here

http://65.39.160.165/

As you can see it is a BIG light! I think I will have plenty of space to put the ballast inside the thing, should I order some wheels along with it? LOL!

Anyway it uses a H4 bulb and found the manual for it here.

http://sunforceproducts.com/prodinfo/manuals/75Manualengfr.pdf

Specs here

http://sunforceproducts.com/prodinfo/specs/75MillSpotProductSheet.pdf

I plan to install a HID ballast and bulb and replace the 4.2ah SLA for a 9ah AGM SLA, it should give close to 2 hours with that setup.

Now the questions

Any special considerations I should take to install the ballast and bulb? precautions? let me know so I dont screw up

Thanks!
AlexGT

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Starting a HID project

I found the bulb specs and the difference between the HID H11 and the Xenon H4 seems to be between 3-8 mm so a small shim will have to be used

H4

H11

AlexGT

idleprocess

Flashaholic

EDIT : Looks like I missed a critical first line in your post. Disregard most of my ramblings and best of luck with some of the careful modding that will be required...

If you have a choice of ballasts, I'd suggest getting a newer ballast with integrated starter/ignitor. I had to mount the ballast externally on my HID mod because there was no room in the housing for the ballast and starter.

Also, you might want to look for a H4 HID bulb if at all possible. You'll want to do this for two reasons - ease of mounting and good beam pattern, which are closely-related. You'll notice that the beam pattern of my completed mod bears little resemblance to the original... this is partly due to the axial HID arc but mostly because the arc is several millimeters behind the H3 bulb's filement location. I'm satisfied with the floody beam, but most folks want their HID mods to throw...

Attaching the HID bulb was a very ugly hack - namely use 2 existing tabs 90 degrees apart (one a hook for a wire mounting bracket and the other for the bulb ground lead) and screw a self-tapping screw ~135 degrees from both tabs in order to anchor the bulb using a twist-tie (I'll have to swap this out at some point with something more robust - perhaps some solid-core copper wire). This hack only worked because the D2S bulb's mounting flange was broken in 3 places by the previous owner (homebrew headlight HID conversion gone wrong). I would not have been enthused about drilling holes in the other bulb - D2S bulbs are both expensive and somewhat hazardous with the fill gas inside the arc chamber under several atmospheres of pressure.

I could have modified the reflector and tried to devise some sort of more-orthodox D2S mount, but I lacked those sorts of tools and materials.

Be prepared to tweak your reflector and bulb connector. Your spotlight might use a wire bracket to anchor the H4 bulb; expect the bracket not to be compatible with the H11. You're right about shimming - odds are the HID arc isn't going to sit right where the H4 incan's filament sits.

Another suggestion ... use the existing electronics in the spotlight as much as possible unless they impede some functionaity that you want. You'll keep all the original features of the spotlight and could probably switch back to the original bulb in a pinch. Odds are you could just connect the ballast to the leads for the bulb - startup on the HID won't be as severe as startup on the original bulb an operating current will be less.

Last edited:

Vortex

Newly Enlightened

Alex the H11 is not and HID bulb. An H4 bulb has two filaments, which means 2 focal points so be real careful when measuring up an adapter.

Here are the specs.

D2S

d2%20PH.JPG

You could try to make your own adapter by taking apart/separating the ring from the base. Then mount that on the D2S base. People have used JB weld (epoxy) glues or any other means of securing the base. Whatever you do make sure you find the sweet spot of that reflector.

I saw a replica of that light in Walmart for $49.99 canadian. I took it out of the box and turned on the high beam in the store. I was pretty impressed it threw a nice tight spot perfect for an HID swap.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

Vortex said:
Alex the H11 is not and HID bulb. An H4 bulb has two filaments, which means 2 focal points so be real careful when measuring up an adapter.

There are a number of "HID conversion kits" that mount D2S-type bulbs on standard incandescent bulb bases; AlexGT has most likely acquired one of those. They're intended for "drop-in" replacement of automotive bulbs - often with unpredictable effects on beam pattern.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks like you might have to put the bulb in further than the stocker for optimal pattern. But test and see first. I'd of gone for the 10mcp host, as I think it's a nice manageable size. The 15mcp and others are too big and goofy for my likeing.

Be carefull when testing this as you don't want your hands near the wires when the ballast is hooked up. I would re-do the wires that go to the bulb, I would solder them and use very thick (maybe several layers) of heat shrink, to make sure the wires don't arc through the insulation and fry the ballast. They looked like someone used them for a conversion kit, and cut and spliced on different bulbs on the ballasts.

But you are right that LED, CCF, and HID is a great combo! hehhe

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

The HID kit I bought is right here with pictures

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=116318

Mine is the one on the left.

cable4so.jpg

Keep all the good information and tips coming, This is my first HID light and HID conversion so I really dont want to F' up or get shocked by 23,000 volts:eeksign:

Thanks!
AlexGT

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic

I would suggest one of the other lights they sell.. they have a 10M and 12M candlepower "thor" type lights there for cheaper.. the advantage of those, is more battery. The "thor" type light have 7AH batteries... the one you are looking at appears to only come with a 4.2AH battery- there may or may not be room for bigger.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I already have a bigger and better battery than the stock its an AGM SLA, Northern said that If im not satisfied I can return it, so its worth a try, Im going to size in all the components before I do anything modding and if it is not a suitable host I will choose another light, maybe the 10mcp.

What I am most interested is the quality of the reflector, I seen some with a shiny metal pie cooking mold instead of quality reflector like the cyclops. I am hoping this are cyclops quality.

AlexGT

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those wirenuts on the ballast output wires scare me :eeksign:

I'd probably solder them and put multiple layers of heat shrink instead.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast

If the reflector is up to snuff that should be a great host given the LED's and CC with there run-times and utility. Makes for an all-around work/utility light which the Costco Hid and Thor are not.

The Thor 15 MC is not that much smaller than the Costco/Harbor Freight Hid.

IMG_0567.jpg
IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg
IMG_0570.jpg

P.S. The Harbor Freight HID is on sale for $99 with an additional $5 off coupon + a free gift. (Per Sale Paper, Have to call) Might be able to cannibalize the HF HID...

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

WHAT!!!! $94 bucks??????

I looked at their website and is listed at 129.99 do you have a copy of the 5 dollar off coupon? I might just go and get that also, How good is the beam?

Thanks I will go and call now.

AlexGT

Lips said:
P.S. The Harbor Freight HID is on sale for $99 with an additional $5 off coupon + a free gift. (Per Sale Paper, Have to call) Might be able to cannibalize the HF HID....

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just called them and they don't have it in stock, only thru the internet at full price, on what HF did you see it? Do you have their phone number?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I called the main office and they said that I must have the special Item number for the 99 price+ coupon + gift and they will honor it.

So Lips, do you happen to have the sales ad or number? I might just get this one too.

Oh! BTW I went to Northern tools to order the Led/CC/H4 spotlight and they said that once ordered in the store you can't take it back if you don't like it, or if there is a problem with it, unless you order it online for $10 more.
That sucks!!!!!:awman: :scowl: :thumbsdow I like all the options this light has but if the reflector is crap I don't have any other choice, is this regular NT policy or did I just asked a dumb employee?

AlexGT

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

Alex,

If you want a good reflector get the SL240 Blitz and do the MOD, it's worth the price and work ;)

Later
Kelly

Latest posts