Klarus
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Benchmade??

Flashaholic*

Default Favorite Benchmade??

I'm considering a new knife and not sure which one to get. It will be a benchmade with an axis lock for sure, just not sure which model. Here are a few I am considering, 940, 610 Rukus, 707 Sequel. Of all the Benchmades with the axis lock which is your favorite and why? I have a 921 switchback and a mini grip already and they are great knives. Gotta love the axis lock!!!!! Doug
    Grateful friend of Bill W.

Default Re: Favorite Benchmade??

AFCK

I agree AFCK maybe with D2 steel is one of the best benchamde knives

Flashaholic*

AFCK or 730CFHS

For the longest time it was the BM/Emerson CQC7. Now it's the BM635BK-501 Skirmish! That BM610 Rukus looks very inviting, but with a blade length of 4.25"? !
    LUX'Ottica

Flashaholic*

Yep, I'm backin away from the Rukus, just too big for my needs!! Doug
    Grateful friend of Bill W.

BM 710HS and BM Griptilian RSK-1

BM 722 with the blade modified to a drop point.
    Squirrels are natures ninjas.

Flashaholic

Take a look at the 670 Apparition. I picked up the NICA limited edition version a few months ago and this is one fantastic knife - great blade shape, excellent weight and balance, and has assisted opening.

Check it out!

Cheers,
    Tim
    Surefire U2, M4, and 9P; LionHeart - Black (X3); Maglite 6D, 6C, 4D, 3D, 2AA (X4), 2AAA; AIT Nightstar; RaidFire Spear; Dereelight DBS V2 DI WH/R2; JETBeam II IBS; Tiablo A10 R2; Novatac 120E(P) & 120T(P); NiteCore EX10; LiteFlux LF3XT

770BC1 Osborne, Axis, Carbon Fiber Handle as my EDC

Flashaholic

Hard choice!

I am carrying a 525 Mini Presidio at the moment

But I rotate through these:
    Last edited by Steve Andrews; 05-02-2006 at 01:41 AM.

Benchmade 710HS M2

The classic Axis wiht M2 steel, the steel now discontinued by Benchmade.

Flashaholic*

Nice 705-401! I miss mine, I sold them only because they were too short for me.

My favourite is the 941 osborne combo (OD), used to be my EDC and its a really nice knife for dressing out small game (rabbits, birds) cause of the slender clip point and the serations for sinews etc. The AFCK in my opinion is waaay to big for EDC and since I bought it I've never carried it, unless you're planning on going out for a knife fight, or to just kill somene it's not a good knife.

Flashaholic

I have a mini grip right now but I do like the look of the 525 Mini. My taste in knives has been more for use than quality so I normally had a BuckLight in my pocket until I got the grip now I canít believe the different. Now I want another.

Enlightened

I like the outbounders and the mini afck with the hole in blade and M2 steeel .

I have several different axis lock Benchmades. 707 followed closely by the Mini Grip are my favorites.
    jc

43MC Bali-Song. Never use it though, they only made 50 and I was lucky to get the one I have (at a damn good price too).

Flashaholic

Hi y'all

I've been carrying a full size AFCK for about 15 years. Wore out the first blade but BM put in a new one for $35.

Carrys very well clipped to my pants pocket.

Steve

Flashaholic*

I love my full size 552-400, Ritter Grip.

They discontinued the M2 steel !!???!?!?!

Thats too bad, I love that steel,
    I have an M2 Nimravus, and 710

BM Mini-Ritter (weekday EDC)

BM Presidio M520 Plain Edge with custom 3D Scales (weekend EDC)

Will
    Please no PM/Visitor Msg's. Email for questions/Paypal: wquiles [at] gmail {dot} com. Please visit my new website.

Rukus or Skirmish. I have both, and one or the other goes with me everywhere, just as my Surefire U2, Kimber 1911, and Leatherman Charge TI do.

I do not agree that the only use for a big knife is to fight or kill someone with! You can do small things with a big knife, you cannot do big things with a small knife! If I need a small knife, that is what the Leatherman is for. I keep a Kershaw Leek and a CRKT M16 in my desk at work for mundane things.
    Last edited by cbxer55; 01-09-2008 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55
    I do not agree that the only use for a big knife is to fight or kill someone with! You can do small things with a big knife, you cannot do big things with a small knife!
    Well said - I feel the same way. My large Presidio (pictured above), is my favorite EDC knife. The "only" reason I use the smaller BM (yellow one) as EDC during the week at work, is that at work they have a 3" knife rule so my Presidio at 3.4" is too large

Will
    Please no PM/Visitor Msg's. Email for questions/Paypal: wquiles [at] gmail {dot} com. Please visit my new website.

I guess my favorite is the only one I have, which is a Rainbow Benchmite. I must say though, ever since I saw one up for sale here last month, I believe it was a 770 with carbon fiber scales (black blade), I can't get it out of my mind. I thought about it a little too long, and when I finally worked up the gumption to get it, it was sold (crud!). It was in mint condition and was only $110. (Darn it!)

I do not agree that the only use for a big knife is to fight or kill someone with!
    Quote Originally Posted by wquiles
    Well said - I feel the same way.
    Exactly! I've never entertained the thought of carrying a knife, or knives, for the purpose of "self-defense" use. But primarily as a tool. The "neato" factor comes into play too!
    LUX'Ottica

I do not agree that the only use for a big knife is to fight or kill someone with!
    I assume that's a reply to my post?. Well guess what? nor do I, and thats not what I said either. What I was trying to get at is that the AFCK wasn't a suitable edc IMO. The AFCK has "stab" written all over it, the slender tip and blade geometry screams penetration, the deep handle recess is there to stop your hand slipping up the blade when you use a stabbing motion. Chris Caracci (designer, and former seal) along with benchmade didn't name it the Advanced Folding Combat Knife for nothing. I carry larger heavier knives myself, but they aren't designed just to penetrate, as thats something I rarely do everyday and I would imagine most other people don't either.
    Last edited by SolarFlare; 05-08-2006 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SolarFlare
    I assume that's a reply to my post?. Well guess what? nor do I, and thats not what I said either. What I was trying to get at is that the AFCK wasn't a suitable edc IMO. The AFCK has "stab" written all over it, the slender tip and blade geometry screams penetration, the deep handle recess is there to stop your hand slipping up the blade when you use a stabbing motion. Chris Caracci (designer, and former seal) along with benchmade didn't name it the Advanced Folding Combat Knife for nothing. I carry larger heavier knives myself, but they aren't designed just to penetrate, as thats something I rarely do everyday and I would imagine most other people don't either.
    Why is unsuitable for utility use? Every knife has its own blade shape, grind, etc. There's plenty of knives that I can think of that have similar blades that don't have this "stabbing" stigma you've attatched to it. Plenty of knives that have a finger choil as well (the Spyderco UKPK comes to mind). God forbid that I cut myself because the knife I used to covertly deanimate some cardboard boxes because it would make a knife a "better stabber".

And so effing what if it's called one thing or another (FWIW, it's called the Advanced Folding Camp Knife now)? Calling a knife "The Baby Dicer" or "The Fluffy Bunny Knife" doesn't make it any more or less suitable as a weapon or a tool.

A knife is a tool. There is nothing inherently evil or dangerous to other people about a tool. "Weapon" comes from intent, and intent comes from a person. Be scared of bad people, not inanimate objects.

How on earth would you know which knives I attatch a "stabbing stigma" to other than the one I have mentioned?. Yeah most knives have a finger recess, but few as deep as the AFCK, its new sanitised name doesn't change the intended use of its designer. I can only assume you don't have an AFCK, or you don't use knives daily, other than for killing your cardboard boxes. As for knives being tools I completely agree and in my opinion the AFCK isn't the tool for me

I've carried a knife in my pocket since I was 15 (I'm 26). My favorite knives are balisongs and autos (which are completely legal here). My EDC for the past few months is a Bradley Mayhem balisong. Before that it was a Benchmde 42MC (the 42's weehawk blade is definitely what I'd call "stabby", but I've never stabbed anybody).

I had an AFCK for a couple weeks and traded it (for a 705-401). Later that week I bought a 710HS. I didn't really like the AFCK; I felt the finger cutout was too far back and I prefer to grip closer to the blade. I also felt the handle was too long and butt-heavy, and I prefer thumbstuds over holes. It rode too high in tip-up position, and I don't much care for tip-down on a large knife. But never did I feel that it was too combat oriented or anything like that. For utility work, I do prefer a thinner, flatter grind than the AFCK has, even though the 42MC I carried hardly qualifies as that. But it was my first balisong, and even though I much prefer the bowie blade of the 43MC, there was no way that I'd carry it (too valuable). I think the Mayhem I carry now is just about perfect.

In any case, I still fail to see how the "intended use of its designer" has anything to do with the intended use of its user. Maybe it's good for "combat", but it works fine on cardboard and DVD wrappings too. Not that a knife intended for opening boxes can't be use for nefarious things (such as hijacking planes).