best light for under $50

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
what is the consensus for the best (brightest) incadesent light under 50 dollars??? I have thought about the pt surge?? anything better?

kb0rrg

Enlightened
Bright: Ledgend LX
Small: Princeton TEC Rage (4AAA)
Med: 4AA Streamlight

all under $20

I don't have a surge, but I would guess it is very good too.

BillSJCA

Newly Enlightened
Probably not what you had in mind, but they sell rechargable handheld spotlights, some up to 3 million candle power, for under $50. I bought a $20 one at Fry's that blows away any other light I have, big time.

They put out some serious light, but are huge and heavy.

For a pocket size light, a 2 lithium cell light is hard to beat.

bill

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok guys thanks for the ideas but let me clarify. I have a streamlight scorpion but i am dissapointed with the run time...
question how does run time compare with the e2 sfire.\vs scorpion.

i am looking for scorpion or mabey a bit larger size and longer run time with a pretty far reaching beam. i think that would exclude most leds. but i do agree that for closeup the x-5 would be a good choice.

Gandalf

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bushman:
ok guys thanks for the ideas but let me clarify. I have a streamlight scorpion but i am dissapointed with the run time...
question how does run time compare with the e2 sfire.\vs scorpion.
i am looking for scorpion or mabey a bit larger size and longer run time with a pretty far reaching beam. i think that would exclude most leds. but i do agree that for closeup the x-5 would be a good choice.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The E2 is rated for 75 minutes; not a big jump from the Scorpion.

One of my all time favorite lights is the Underwater Kinetics 2L. It's actually smaller than a Scorpion, and has a 3-4 hr run time on 2 lithium 123's. Light output is less, of course, about as bright as a 3D cell Maglite. They tend to have a very good spot beam, with a ring around it; so reach is quite good.

They do require both hands to turn on (rotate the head), although with my oldest one, the head tunrs easily enough to turn on with one hand, from much use.

They cost $26 from brightguy.com, and replacement lamp/reflector assemblies are $6.50.

I've carried the same one in my front pants pocket for around 8 years; the embossed writing on the plastic body is almost worn smooth, but the light works great. For the money, they are a very nice light, and virtually indestuctible.
wink.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might suggest the Tec 40 with NiMh batteries & krypton 3D bulbs. Light-about $13. 8 1700mah NiMh batteries + charger-$20. Bulbs- 2 for $1.50. I would guess about 2 hrs run time on one set of batteries, + you have a spare set. Light output, close to the Surge. Running cost, none. (maybe bulbs once-in-awhile) TX