HDS Systems Tint on GT Models

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have read about the GT models on HDS' website and I understand that the GT models are constrained to a specific whiteness.

I recently received a U2 that is noticeably whiter than any of my other Surefire 5 watt LED's and even whiter than the 3 watt LED on my Gladius.

Each of my other 5 watt LED's (KL5, L2 and Previous U2) were closer in tint to my incandescent lights as they were very white but appeared to have a warmer tint. I really did like this color of the beams.

Now that I have the new U2 with the very white tint, I am trying to determine if it is better.

I have said all of that to ask these questions:

1. Is the tint of the GT models super white?
  2. If it is, is there an advantage or is tint simply a preference?
  3. Are there any non GT models that are really yellow or green or blue?
I think that I actually prefer the less white but not yellow, green or blue tints.

If I sounded confused, it is just because I am having a hard time describing the things that I see in the different beams that I have.

-Goatee

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
My GT is closer to warm white than cool white. I think it is the same as the WO tint.

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
Billson,

If I understand your response correctly, you are saying that your GT model is warmer in tint.

It it my preference to have a light that has a warmer tint rather than an ultra white tint and if the GT provided that, I would be interested definately.

Thank you for the response!

-Goatee

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Never shine two LED lights you really like on a white wall next to each other. Chances are huge that you will like one a lot less after suddenly seeing tint where there was none before :D
bernie

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Kiessling said:
Never shine two LED lights you really like on a white wall next to each other. Chances are huge that you will like one a lot less after suddenly seeing tint where there was none before :D
bernie
Ha! Good to know - my fU2 is on it's way, and I don't want to regret my decision!!

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kiessling said:
bernie

I see your point. The tint on my KL5 was perfect but now after looking at the tint on the U2, it looks a little yellow. I had them both out last night and I am finding, however, that I can like them both for different reasons... I guess.

I am still interested in knowing if the HDS GT models are on the whiter end of the spectrum just a tightly controlled group of LED's at a warmer tint.

-Goatee

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I said that tongue-in-cheek, but there is more than a little truth in this simple statement. This is one of the reasons why I mostly gave up the tint-mania.

HDS is the only manufacturer (not modder) where you can buy select tints AFAIK ... and it seems it works well :D

bernie

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Goatee,

From the many lights that I have handled, my GT is on the warm side, at least for me because I prefer cool white so I may be biased. Tint is subjective to each individuals preference and eyes. Bernie is right though, you should decide for yourself which tint you prefer because comparing lights side by side will just confuse you even more.

The GT is not the whitest. It just guarantees that you will get what you are expecting.