How to upgrade a 4D Kel-Lite

gdict

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a nice old 4D Kel-Lite at the flea market for $3! (woo hoo!!!) I brought it home, cleaned the inside out a bit and dropped some fresh cell in it and BAM!, it works fine. It even has a halogen bulb. Very yellow and splotchy beam though.

So, now the bad part. The lens is trashed, but I just ordered a glass Mag-Lite lens that is the same size. Where my problem lies is with the refelctor. It is in pretty bad shape finish wise. Is there anywhere I can get a replacement reflector for this classic lite? How about refinishing?

I'd like to convert it to a Luxeon, but it seems most of the Luxeon conversions are designed specifically for the Mag-Lite style bulb holder. I'd like at LEAST a 3W, but what i'd really like is a K2. The only drop in PR style conversion I have seen until now is the 1W one I stole out of my little Craftsman light and teh funky dual 1W Luxeon where they are back to back. My Craftsman 'bulb' is currently in a 1950's vintage Chrome Rayovac 3D flashlight. I'd like something a little more serious for the Kel-Lite.

Ay suggestion for a nice mod that doesn't require a mchine shop would be most appreciated. The Kel-Lite is late model one with the improved switch with the red button flash function. If the mod uses readily available plastic reflector, I could solder to the contact in lieu of using the original metal reflector.

I hope to hear some great ideas from all of you flashaholics.

Cheers!

Greg

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's just the surface of the reflector that's trashed, you could clean it and give it a light sanding and then paint it with chrome paint. I've done wheels that were more or less trashed and they came out well, and that was with no prep work..

gdict

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm... that's a thought. The reflector is physically OK, just has bad plating.

Anyone ever seen sticky backed mylar film? I wonder how that would work?

Greg

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
What size head does your light have? I assume from the mention of the Mag lens it's a medium. Parts for those are especially hard to find since they weren't very popular, in addition to being fairly late in the production run. You can find reflectors from old cheap lights that will fit the head. No idea what specifically, it's more of a "try and see" deal. The replacement might be a little shorter, though.

Depending on the local industry, you could have your old reflector sputtered with aluminum or electroplated with chrome. Probably would run $20+ for a chrome job so it probably wouldn't be worth it. Shiney paint could work although it'll never be as good as the real thing.

I'd recommend either fixing the reflector and using some kind of drop-in, or replacing the reflector entirely with some kind of emitter array. Don't do anything that can't be reversed--they ain't makin' any more of them. If you ever want to sell it I might be interested.

gdict

Newly Enlightened
Abtomat,

Thanks for the advice. I will poke around and see what kind of plating I can find in my area. I am in the heart of Silicon Valley in case you know of anyone around here.

As for a drop in conversion, do you have any specific recomendations for a PR type replacement Luxeon? The ones I mentioned are the only ones I am familiar with.

I will probably hang onto this light simply for the sentimental memories attached to selling them as a kid in my dad's shop. I'll never forget when I lost my Dad's large head 5D Kel-Lite in highschool. He was pissed!

I'm starting to remember the variations now, and yes, this one is definitely a medium head. Most of the Kel-Lites I remember had the big black plastic sliding switch. I think we only sold a few with this style switch before Mag-Lites became the defacto standard. Do you remember Mag-Lites in carboard boxes? Most flashaholics these days have only ever seen them in clam-packs. ;)

Cheers!

Greg

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The metal switches were used on D-cell Kel-Lites from about 1976 until they went under in the early '80s. I'd say maybe 60% of the ones you find these days are that model. Only a few C-cell lights were made with metal switches, most of them used the plastic ones until the very end.

Oh yes, I know the old Mag cardboard boxes. I have a 3C from 1983 in one. Actually, you could get Mag-Lites in cardboard brand new last time I checked, although they aren't sold very widely.