Front load [high efficiency] washer?

marcspar

Enlightened
Our washing machine has died and we need a new one.

Has anyone gotten one of the high efficiency front loaders?

Are you happy with it? Do you notce any savings in hot water cost?

Thanks in advance,

Marc

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had bought a Kenmore for my mother a few years ago and she was/is very happy with it. She says it gets clothes cleaner and uses WAY less water. On top of that it's very quiet. Whenever my vertical drum washer dies, I'm without a doubt getting a HE front loader.

-DF

raggie33

*the raggedier*
man they sure seem like they would leak more .but i guess they dont.but there cool to watch .betetr then any show on cbs

marcspar

Enlightened
Thanks guys!

Marc

ps - Rags, I've heard that cats will just and stare while the front loaders run!

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm watching the latest episode of Laundry Theater. See?
Now, those are Chris' socks, right?
They don't know that Stewie's shirt is having an affair with Meg's trousers.
It's fun to watch rich people be naughty!

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had to kick the cat out of the way, so that I could get a better view. :lolsign:

-DF

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have a high-efficiency front loading washing machine. It's great. Just be sure that you can get the Tide HE (High-Efficiency) soap. That's been a bit of a problem for us, but otherwise it's been great.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
avoid the maytag neptunes.
lots of problems.wax motors,blown up boards,mold/mildew just to name a few.
i get loads of the boards in for repair.

nethiker

Enlightened
We just went through the search for a new washer and dryer. I heard that the Neptunes had some problems but consumer reports didn't comment on their new ones because they are using a new washing technology that sounds good but doesn't have a track record to comment on yet.

We went with the Whirlpool Duet from Costco.com. We love the machines. They clean the clothes as well or better than our old machine and seem to be more gentle on them as they wash by tumbling rather than being beat with the central agitator. There is definately a savings on water and detergent, a plus for those of us with septic systems. We tried the low sudsing HE detergent, but the wife prefers the 7th Generation organic/biodegradable stuff for the baby. We have noticed no problem with not using a HE product. The pedistals are a great addition. More storage space for soap, etc... and more importantly they raise the doors to a great height for loading and unloading the laundry. If you have the space, they say they can be staced ontop of eachother. The Duets are definately larger than our old machines so measuring is a must if you have tight quarters. My only concern is all the electronics, bells and whistles. Our old Maytags were pretty straight forward. I was even able to fix them a time or two. If anything goes wrong with the Duets, we'll need to call in a tech with a computer to diagnose the problem.

If I was to do this over again I would go to my local appliance store that sells Whirlpool and see what they can do in terms of price. I felt a little bad for not even looking with the local guy only to find out that Costco had my washer/dryer shipped to them for delivery to us. The price on the web site includes delivery, setup and removal of the old appliances. A great deal all the way around.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie33 said:
man they sure seem like they would leak more .but i guess they dont.but there cool to watch .betetr then any show on cbs

Maybe but they've been around at least since the 1960's and the old used one I had then didn't leak.

BF Hammer

Enlightened
raggie33 said:

When I was a child (early 1970's) the laundromat down the block from my home had all commercial front-loader washing machines. They were all stainless and would look entirely natural in an appliance store today. I still remember when they were all replaced with top loading maytags during a remodelling in the late 70's.

I believe those high-capacity washers at the laundromats were always front-load designs. I think that the technology for the water seals are pretty well established by now. I believe I also remember a flap on top of the machines where you dumped the detergent.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been using front loaders since the 1960's; they are the best - much less detergent, water, and electricity. You generaly do not need the high priced HE detergent, just use 1/3 (or so) the amount for top loaders. Because so much less water is needed for a FL, less detergent is needed for even better cleaning.

FL = win, win, win,

tdurand

Enlightened
I have the Duets stacked and love them. I once did two weeks worth of laundry in ONE load. Granted is was summer and that consists of shorts and Tees. I use the HE soap and found that even that needs to be used in smaller amounts.

As to the efficiency of the machines and how they affect a water/electric bill I can't really say since I've had nothing but. I just like 'em because they are quite and fast. The spin cycle really gets humpin' and this means less drying time.

My highest recommendation.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
tdurand said:
As to the efficiency of the machines and how they affect a water/electric bill <Snip>
My highest recommendation.

Mine was a combo. It washed and dried in the same unit.
The dryer was a very effecient 220 volt system and didn't add anything to our electric bill. We found out why about a year after installing the unit. Whoever installed the 220 line on the back porch sort of messed up and put the wires on the wrong side of the meter. It could still be that way for all I know.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a link to the CPF of Laundry Machines...

I bought a set (washer and drier)... The front loaders had a whole bunch of people recommending them. However, my garage is small (1930's size) and I wanted top-loading for the washer (so the door was not always hitting the car parked in the garage).

I also found a top loading drier too from the same place:

Fisher Paykel Washers

Fisher Paykel Dryers

They have some lower priced models that qualify for some water/energy credits. The Top of the Line models do not. However, both the Washer (which uses small amounts of hot water plus auto water level settings) and the top load dryer (which has dampness sensor and a real neat automatic lint collector) seem to work very well.

I had a problem with the dryer not always lighting the gas on the first try--they tried a couple times to replace parts, then gave me a new dryer and reset the warrenty back to zero months (machines were 6 months old). They were well supported (although it took a week or so to get parts).

The top load dryer is a neat unit... If you are short, it is a bit of reach to get the stuff off of the bottom of the drum.

Both units had nice rebates from the manufacturers (at the time).

-Bill

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
We have the Duet washer and love it. Less soap and water for sure. Probably less electricity, but it's hard to tell. Clothes definitely get cleaner. Just don't get sucked up into adding all the extra cycles for pre wash or stain treat. We rarely need to use them and they just use more cycles of wash and therefore, more of everything you are trying to save on.

We used the HE soap for a while, then tried other powders. Finally decided on Arm and Hammer powder. Works great for us and it is pretty cheap. I would never go back to a top load. We have not had to replace our dryer yet. Lucky for us, it was a high capacity, so it's rare that we can't dry what come outs of a load in the washer. There was the time that I washed 14 pairs of jeans though. That pushed the dryer past it's limit.

marcspar

Enlightened
Thanks everyone. I wound up buying a Bosch 3200. I'll update on Wednesday when it gets delivered.

It has a really neat cycle where the water starts off cold and then is gradually heated by the washer - supposedly it allows the various enzymes in the soap to work at their best.

For the first time, I also purchased an extended warranty - Five years full coverage for $100.....

Marc

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
marcspar said:
For the first time, I also purchased an extended warranty - Five years full coverage for $100.....

That's really an excellent price for 5 years!

-DF

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sort of late here, but for the benefit of future readers of this thread I will say that the Fischer and Paykel top loading washers deserve a look. They spin out at about as high an RPM as the majority of front loaders, but you don't need to buy special detergents. They have a stainless steel drum. And they have direct-drive DC motor/transmission systems and a user replaceable pump. These features more or less eliminate the most common causes of failures of washers. Either the pump dies or the drum gets lots of chips in the enamel and starts rusting, or the transmission dies/locks up/ or starts leaking oil.

Changing the pump on one of these is super easy. You can do it yourself without any tools. You just lift a ratchet/pall lever to allow it to untwist a quarter turn, disconnect a quick disconnect for the electrical power and control wires, then just snap the new pump in and reconnect the quick-connect. And the pump is like $30 delivered to you home.

And it was rated very very highly by consumer reports for both cleaning ability and water and electrical savings--and spin drying. We have found that it takes HALF as long to dry our clothes with this washer. We got it just about a year ago now and I couldn't be happier with it.

We got ours at Lowes (like Home Depot) for about $600 or so delivered. The controls for it are really nice, too. Everything about it is really nice, actually. The lid is a composite/plastic type material that doesn't get scratched and is nice and light. And the lid comes off completely. So you can unscrew a big plastic wing-nut at the bottom of the agitator and then remove IT completely for cleaning or what-not. And one feature I really like is that you can fill it up with clothes, then pour the detergent down the center of the agitator, and when it starts to fill with water, it gradually mixes the detergent in and pours it over the top of the clothes as they are rotated. It's really amazingly sophistacated for a (relatively) inexpensive washing machine.

I reasoned thusly: at the really low price points ($300 or so), delivery is NOT included, and that usually runs $50. Plus, if delivery is not included, it means they won't haul away your old broken washer either, so there's that cost. Then if you figure the savings over just one year from less energy usage of the washer, and less energy useage due to much shorter drying times due to high speed spin cycle, it turns out that the $600 GWL11 isn't any more expensive than the cheapest Kenmore or GE or whatever. And then for the years that follow, you actually save money.

But, on the other hand, it's cheaper than the good quality front loaders and doesn't need special (and expensive) detergent.

Plus, like I said before, it seems to me that you can keep one of these running for a very long time with very little money in repairs. Time will tell, I suppose.

Do a web search and check out Consumer Reports and all that and you'll see some of what I'm talking about.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simple service, low energy usage and very few problems reported are exactly why I chose my Fisher and Paykel washer/driers... JS is right about direct drive (digitally controlled DC Stepper motor--makes a neat "cogging sound" as it spins up--not loud at all) and the high (1,000 rpm) spin cycle.

I read a lot about the front load units and they worried me a bit... Problems with the front seals, jammed socks, problems with mildew on the door gaskets, drive issues, front mounted controls (easy to damage) and such just had me worried.

The only "design" issue that I read about the F&P washer was if you use fabric softener--it can build up around the outside of the tub and you have to run a full tube hot wash cycle every so often to get the gunk out (cold water washing just does not get the old fabric softener rinsed out well).

Otherwise, they are supposed to be almost as water efficient as the front loading units.

There is a lot of information available from this BBS (same link I posted earlier)--it is really a fun read:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/laundry/

-Bill