Modem symbol is missing.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
I have automated updates with Microsoft. Monday evening, when I shut down, there were three updates installed. Nothing unusual in that. Tuesday morning, when I went online, my modem symbol (winkie) is gone.

I have no way to determine the speed of my internet connection (dial up), or to end the connection (without shutting down my computer, or disconnecting the phone line). :hairpull:

HOW DO I GET MY WINKIE BACK?

oldgrandpajack

EDIT: I'm using XP Pro.

Last edited:

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
It's been a little while since I had dialup, but you might try:

Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Right click on the dialup connection > put a check mark beside "Show icon in notification area when connected"

Or something like that.... <shrug>

YMMV

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
PhotonBoy said:
It's been a little while since I had dialup, but you might try:

Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Right click on the dialup connection > put a check mark beside "Show icon in notification area when connected"

Or something like that.... <shrug>

YMMV

Found it, and it's already checked. :hairpull:

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Maybe try this:

1) Right click on a blank area on the task bar at the screen bottom
2) Click on Properties
3) Make sure there's a check beside "Hide Inactive Items"
4) Click on "Customize" to the right
5) Scroll through the list of Current and Past Items
6) If you find something like the dialer icon, click on the setting under "Behavior"
7) Select the appropriate behavior

It that won't work, I give up. Good luck <grin>

Dawg

Enlightened
My winkie has been MIA for quite some time as well. I would turn it back on by checking the little box. But after I would log off, it would turn off again. I love my winkie too. I never knew it was called a winkie. Can't wait to use that around my IT guy. He will be impressed. He didn't even know how to turn it on to stay. When I asked him for help, he looked at me funny and asked why, I wanted it. I am gonna fire him first thing tomorrow.