Recommend a mod for my 4D Mag

Warp

Enlightened
I picked up a 4D Mag at Walmart today. I love the output from my P61 equipped Surefire G2, ideally I want to duplicate that in a mag body but with a lot longer runtime.

I prefer the look and color rendetion of a good incan (hence the G2) but if a LED fits the bill I am willing to give it a shot. I would like it to run on readily available batteries, preferably the standard D cell alkalines.

I'd like to spend $30 max and it needs to be a pretty simple process. I do have a DMM.

Does what I want exist? Does it meet my price requirement? If not, what comes closest? Is it a mod to my mag or just a whole different light? Remember, I am trying not to spend very much money here. My G2 with P61 is my most expensive light and I have no desire to spend more than that on a light at this point in time.

Darksky

Newly Enlightened
Hi There,

I've done this one
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=99710
and also made a C cell adaptor out of a piece of rubber hose I had lying around (I think it was a car radiator hose) and fitted 5xC sized batteries in it you could
change the bulb for the 5 cell one but I'm still using the stock 4 cell one. Also get a UCL lens from http://www.flashlightlens.com
The above is simple and cheap mods to improve the stock Mag.

Eryk

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
for 'keep the price down' solutions.. if you want a glass lens and the power is not 'ludicrous' like my 100+W lamps.. you can go to maglite's website.. link to flashlightking from their 'parts department'.. and i bought some maglite glass lenses for $1.90 (list price is $2.50).. shipping might kill ya.. if it's ludicrous send me a PM, i think i have a couple left i could probably toss one in an envelope.

My latest 4D mod can be seen here.. it's 3000L.. (about 100x a 4D maglite).. not inexpensive, but a load of fun, read the write up from the owner.

I would say.. that the bump up the cell count.. use a higher cell count lamp is a winner start..

if you want to DIY and make it considerably brighter, you can remove 80% of the circuit resistance with the process shown here.. just need some braided copper wire (aka solder wick). Of course.. with the lower current lamps, the difference is not as dramatic, but i've measured over 15% more light with doing NOTHING other than the fix in that thread.

Welcome to CPF, enjoy the show.. not much more satisfying than a DIY mod.

I am just about to release a battery holder that will work in any D size maglite.. and is adjustable in length to ANY size..i haven't done the math yet, but 4D light should handle a stack of 5x3 AAs.. that's 15 cells.. nets you 18V.. there will be some VERY interesting possibilities at that point... won't be within your initial budget but something to look forward to.

-awr