Mt First Creation: Steroid 4 Dive Light Tested 445ft - Finally Finished

Amonra

Enlightened
Now on auction in aid of LifeNRA - Mt First Creation: Steroid 4 Dive Light Test445ft

This is my first creation on my lathe. Being a diver myself and a flashaholic i always wanted to have a very powerful LED based dive light in a small package, so this is what i came up with.

It's 124mm long and 75mm wide at the head. all walls are at least 5mm thick, the glass is ultra clear and 10mm thick. It is machined out of a solid piece of aluminium ( not aluminium tube ) so there are only two water entry points i.e. the tailcap and the front glass thus removing an extra entry point behind the head. the tailcap is sealed by two 3mm thick o-rings and is held in place with 2 heavy duty stainless steel clips rather than thread. the front glass is sealed by one 4mm thick o-ring placed behind the glass i.e. the greater the pressure, the greater the seal. the glass is held in place by a flange with 8 stainless steel allen bolts. The switch will be a magnetic reed switch ( i still have to find a place for it )
as you might gather it is overengineered purposely to make sure that it will be very hard for it to physically fail.

It will be using 4 x U-bin Lux3's slightly overdriven and 4 IMS 20mm reflectors.
Approx 500 Lumens. It can use multiple types of batteries using different holders like 4x18650's ( protected or unprotected, aswell as smaller li-ion's), 1xC/D Li-ion, 4xAA/AAA ( Nimh, Primary or primary lithium ) and possibly some others. The actual space for the batteries is of 48mm diam. by about 70mm long so i guess one could even add an electronic and still have space left over. i think it will achieve over 2 hours runtime with 4x18650's ( i will be using 4x18650's in this one).

I will be testing the body ( no LED's or batteries ) physically in the sea tomorrow up to 200 meters hopefully with no problems.

Here are some pictures. they have been taken by my mobile phone as my camera is in Norway at the mom, so please bear with the low quality.

12-05-06_1521.jpg

12-05-06_1523.jpg

12-05-06_1526.jpg

12-05-06_1525.jpg

12-05-06_1527.jpg

12-05-06_1547.jpg

12-05-06_1548.jpg

12-05-06_1549.jpg

It does have some imperfections ( though they may not be clear in these bad photos ) mainly due to me still learning how to use the lathe properly and some stupid mistakes i have made. But i guess it turned out ok.

Here are some comparison beamshots ( 3 meters from door ) with the Barbolight U-09. The steroid4 is only drawing 680mA ( 170mA per LED ) with two freshly charged 18650's ( in paralell ) for some reason which is yet to be determined while the Barbolight is drawing 1.5A ( 500mA per LED ) with a freshly charged battery pack.

Steroid4 on the left Barbolight U-09 on the right
23-05-06_1932.jpg

23-05-06_1933.jpg

Some better pics:

DSC00064.jpg

DSC00065.jpg

DSC00068.jpg

U-09 Left Steroid4 Right

DSC00061.jpg

DSC00063.jpg

If anyone is interested in it PM me as it is not being used.

Thanks for looking

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mt First Creation: A Dive Light ( Yet Un-named )

Hello Amonra:)

This is a beautyful work:goodjob:.

I like it and I'm sure, your 200m test tomorrow will be succeed.

Best regards

_____
Tom

MikeyTheBull

Newly Enlightened

Nice Work. It's a very cool looking light, I really like the proportions of it and the latches.

Timson

Enlightened

Nicely done :clap: ...That's some chunk of aluminium you had there...Must have taken ages to bore out!.

You might even be able to fit in 4 x IMS27 reflectors in that head for a much tighter beam.

I'll be interested to see how you mount that reed switch.

Don't forget beam shots.....An underwater shot would be awesome too :whistle:

Tim.

Timson

Enlightened

How are you going to test at 200M :huh: .......Are you a commercial diver or do you intend to dangle it from a 200M line ?

200M is scary deep !!

Tim.

Amonra

Enlightened

Long John: Thanks, I hope so too.

Mikey: Thanks it fits nicely in my hands, but my hands are a bit big. those latches need a bit of getting used to but they will act as a lanyard attachment point which will also act as a safety lock for the latches.

Timson: Thanks, about 4 hours of boring. the 27mm's might fit but some sidespill is also needed so i went for the 20's. i also happen to like the beam of the 20's alot. I still do not know exactly how the reed switch will be going on either. I will be dangling it off a fiching rod with some kind of reel that tells you how deep it is going. no beam shots for now as i do not want to risk flooding the LED's.

Timson

Enlightened

Amonra said:
Timson: Thanks, about 4 hours of boring. the 27mm's might fit but some sidespill is also needed so i went for the 20's. i also happen to like the beam of the 20's alot. I still do not know exactly how the reed switch will be going on either. I will be dangling it off a fiching rod with some kind of reel that tells you how deep it is going. no beam shots for now as i do not want to risk flooding the LED's.

Great stuff...Keep us posted.

You're so lucky living out there in Malta with all that lovely clear, warm water. Been there diving a couple of times myself...Some great dive sites.

How's that HID idea you've been mulling over coming along ?

Tim.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast

Make sure you rinse the light out very well after it's been in salt water as bare aluminum + Salt water are a bad combo. Corrosion happens very quickly.

Also this thread should be in the Custom / Modified light area. This is the Buy Sell Trade area :)

Mac

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Neat project. I do a little diving, but not even close to 200 meters - more like 10 meters most of the time.

This light kind of reminds me of my old IkeLite from the 1970s (except it is polycarbonate) The snap seals worked well for it, but for some reason, they used a quad ring instead of a normal o ring.

Amonra

Enlightened

Timson: I hope you had a nice time in Malta, it's good to know someone even knows where Malta is let alone knowing someone has actually been here ( actually, knowing that you're from England means that you should be well aquainted with our small island as many british old timers spend the winter here as it comes cheaper than staying at home. during summer there are many british too but most of them come for the tan ( looks more like a severe burn than a tan though )) unfortunately those clear waters become murky with all the ppl swimming in the sea in summer, so i prefer to dive in winter. P.S. i don't know which HID that is.

cmacclel: i know that and i has been bothering me a bit but unfortunately there is noone that does anodizing in Malta. i might try to do it myself but im kind of reluctant mainly due to the fear of ruining many hours of labour.

i thought this was the custom / modified area. i'm sorry but i did not realise it was B/S/T please move this thread if it breaks any rules.

What do you guys think of "The Tank" for a name or maybe a Maltese name like should be used since it is made in Malta ?

Amonra

Enlightened

HarryN: I'm not planning on diving anywhere close to 200meters, the max i dive is 50meters but it gives me peace of mind knowing that it survived 200 or maybe more ?. basically im making sure that it will definately not flood at 50m besides, i like to overengineer, just to make sure. What's a quad ring ?

Kryosphinx: i thought it had less/weaker spill and more throw, well i have never tried the 27mm's so i can't really say but i still really like the 20mm's

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello Amonra:)

About the name:

What do you think about "Scubsun"?

Best regards

_____
Tom

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Amonra,
Very cool!! Nice job! :thumbsup: My only comment is that expecting 125 lumens from each of the U bin LED's is very likely wishful thinking, I don't care how hard you drive them. You might get 300 lumens out the front if you keep the LED's real cool.

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast

There's no such thing as stupid mistakes or imperfections, just built in character.:goodjob: :clap: :twothumbs It looks awesome. Not many people can produce such a nice piece on the first try. Keep it up.

I love your stainless, tailcap, clamp system.

TB

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast

NICE!... how much did it cost you to make this light and how much time was spend?

i got a suggestion for a name: thick O dive

Timson

Enlightened

chesterqw said:
i got a suggestion for a name: thick O dive

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

I laughed out loud at that one....Nearly fell off my chair !!

OK - Time for you to get your own back....Here's my suggestion...

Photon-Depthcharge or just Depthcharge

Amonra : It wasn't you doing the HID....I just mentally linked you with the HID thread as I first read about your new light there.

Tim.