Best Infrared Illuminators? Looking for suggestions.

guncollector

Enlightened
I'm well aware of the Surefire M1 Illuminator (pictured below) which uses a dedicated infrared LED.
m1ha_full.jpg

But, what are some alternatives (more potent, more economical, etc.) from any of the flashlight makers?

Also, does anyone have experience with the Surefire's Infrared filters (like the F16)? I figure that filtering is not as power efficient as using a dedicated infrared LED, so I'm curious.

Thanks!

dog

Newly Enlightened
look in night vision section for my post.
Make your own!

guncollector

Enlightened
Dog-

Actually, I had seen your post and considered "making my own".

But decided to go for either a purpose-built infrared-illumination unit, or possibly using one of Surefire's infrared-filters.

guncollector

Enlightened
Well, I guess this thread has been sent here from General. What happened to at least a Moderator re-direct or moving notice in the original thread?

Also, I note that this forum is for Non-Flashlight Lights, in the sub-forum for Nightvision. Also, there is little-to-no traffic here to facilitate an answer.

My thinking in posting in the General forum was an infrared illuminator is still definitely a flashlight, and is not a nightvision device (though a nightvision aid).

Also, the Surefire infrared filters I was seeking experiences with are used on ordinary Surefire flashlights.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
I put an IR filter on a rechargable spotlight from "cheaper than dirt". For some unexplained reason I've never tested it with night vision. I bought it to use with Kodak IR film.

Check prices on filters, huge differences in prices.

Does anyone have info on filtered incandescent vs LED?

2dogs

Enlightened
While we are at it does any have any experience with IR lightsticks? I bought 2 but after 6 months they were dead. I had planned on using them with my Costc 1st gen NVD.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
No, but IR lightsticks are probably a pretty high cost thing to operate. If they're anything like regular light sticks they're pretty dim. They're used with gen3 devices as markers, not for illumination.

Anyway, I do have something you can try: Buy a 9v battery, a 330ohm 1/4 watt resistor, a 9V batery clip, and an infrared LED from radio shack. Make sure to hook up the positive end of the LED to the positive side of the battery, and put the resistor in series with the LED. Solder it all up. You have just made an IR marker/illuminator.

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a lot more eff and cheaper to use several low power IR LEDs for illumination, that trying to use one high power expensive one

Just remember, don't STARE into the LED; just because you can't see it - doesn't mean that it is not doing damage to your eyes