The Fenix-Store
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum cleaner recommendations

Hybrid View

Flashaholic*

Default Vacuum cleaner recommendations

Hey guys,
    For some reason my previous vacuum cleaner exploded while i was vacumming. I'm in need of a new one. Has anyone here tried one of those new "dyson" vacuums that they claim is powerful and doesn't loose suction?

thanks
    - EL Pentalux - Inova T2 - ROP 3D - SF E2e - Fenix P1 - Fenix L2T - Fenix LOD CE - ML1 - D-mini - Malkoff Devices 2D - EL QSP (finally arrived) -

Default Re: Vacuum cleaner recommendations

Dysons are good, but their advertising is a little over the top and I personally can't stand the styling.

I'd try and pick up a used Electrolux or Oreck (never buy a high-end vacuum new) unless you need a HEPA filter.
    Do something alone and it's weird, do it with others and it's a club.

One of the important things to me is durability and ease of service, not just sucking power. I have yet to find a department store vacuum that's rugged and friendly to work on. As much as I don't like their advertising, Oreck's pro model got major points from me for coming with a service manual and spare parts. The Elux/Aerus doesn't go that far, but it's an elegant powerful design.

In general I don't like Kirbys. 65 years ago they were state of the art, but it's just too dated a design.

Sanitaire (Eureaka-made from an old design) vacuums are simple and easy enough to work on, but a little clunky. Good parts support, though.

We have three Miele's (one went to SWMBO's mother) and love 'em. Had the first one for ten years now and the second for six. Only problem has been the vacuum wand tube (plastic coil) got a break in it at a flex point and we replaced the tube w/a new one. That was on the ten year old after nine years.

Cliff
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats!
    H.L.Mencken (1880-1956)

Growing up, my family has always used the Rainbow water vacuums. It is a bit cumbersome but I've yet to use a vacuum that can match its suction and effectiveness. Has anyone else used a Rainbow?

edit: I'd love to try a Dyson though. I like the way that rolling "ball" model feels.
    Last edited by Arkayne; 05-15-2006 at 11:24 AM.

Flashaholic*

The house we just moved into has a central vacuum system. It's bagless and filterless, and exhausts to the outside. It's also original to the house and is 17 years old.

It has more suction power than our expensive hoover and my cheap bissel both put together when they have clean filters/new bags. Plus, the canister is about 10 gallons, so only needs to be emptied about every 6 months. The power unit is in the garage, so the only thing you hear is the whooshing sound of air being sucked in, and the motor on the beater bar if using the power head.

We haven't even touched our other vacuums since moving, and we've hardly even touched our brooms either (flooring attachment)

Even though they are $$$, I really love having a CVS.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkayne
    Has anyone else used a Rainbow?
    My wife and I had one for 10 years. Great suction but a PITA to clean the tank. We now have an Oreck. It's light weight but difficult to clear a clog. I don't care too much for it.
    I never heard of the Miele but it sounds good. I'll check it out.
    Dana

Super Moderator

A guy at work bought one a couple of months back and says he likes it. There are a few different models. Sams Club carries them.

On a do not recommend expensive unit. I bought a twice used Meile from my boss 3 months ago. He had it two years but only used it the first week he owned it. He has thick carpet and he didn't buy the power brush so it was ineffective. I have all wood so it works great. I bought it from him for $200. Two weeks ago my wife plugged it in and there was no power. I took it to our vacuum guy and he diagnosed the cord had gone bad at the head of the cord reel. I said great, glad it's not a motor or something. Then he told me a new cord reel is $185 installed. That's right folks, the power cord is $185. I nearly fell over. The reel itself worked fine but the cord attachment point had come loose and the only fix is a replacement. He said it's not that uncommon a problem with the Meile. I had him do it but only because I have 5 boxes of bags and a new HEPA filter in the thing. I was in too deep to call uncle.

Strange!

The vacuum repair store here in Ithaca raves about Miele's and how rare it is to ever see one come in for work.

I got one of the cheaper Meile vacuum cleaners (just over $200, IIRC) and I just love it. And I've had mine for over two years now and it is still working great--and working well.

It is a canister vac, though, and doesn't have a power brush on the head or anything, so it is a bit of work to vacuum shag carpet. We have a Kenmore upright for that, but I don't like it, and something is broken in it now and it the smell of burning oil is emmanating from it whenever I use it. So I will have to repair or replace it soon. Or just stick with the Meile. A little elbow grease is no big deal--it still works good on shag carpet in my experience; it's just a lot more work than a power head upright.

All of that said, I will readily admit that I didn't do any research before buying the Meile, and the Kenmore was a Christmas gift, so I am not very informed about the options that are out there. All I do know is that I have been very happy with my Meile for $200. Everything about it is high quality and well designed, IMO. It feels like a quality piece of equipment to me. And it has a powerful motor in it--that much is for sure. My wife feels that it is a bit too heavy, though. Especially for stairs.

FWIW.
    -Jim Sexton, creator of the M6-R, the TigerLight Upgrades, Fixture-ring lamp potting, the SL60, co-designer of the B90 Upgrade, and proponent of the SF A2, the SF M6 X-LOLA, Titanium, the Haiku, and the LunaSol 20

I've got a Eureka Oxygen model like the one found here:
    I got it from the rave reviews and the allergy board recommendation. It does an awesome job on carpet and wood flooring. Another pro is the washable HEPA filter and the ease of use. I would recommend the longer canister hose so you don't have to move the canister so often. About the only drawback are the bags that are needed. They're cheap and only a minor frustration.

My highest recommendation!!

Flashaholic*

Another vote for Miele. It is not cheap but it is the Porsche of vacuum cleaners (or McLux, or whatever). Not fancy, but very, very solid, quiet and high performance. It also does an excellent job of filtering the air which it spits out so you do not redistribute dust when you vacuum - it stays in the machine.

I'm surprised more of the HW geeks here who spring for $200 flashlights and $400 pocket knives don't have Miele's vacuums - they're that good.

Can't remember which Consumer's Reports issue has the latest vacuum ratings, but for years they suggested a Hoover self-propelled Wind Tunnel.

We've owned a Kirby Heritage for about 26 years. Though we indeed like it, a friend gave us one of the Hoover Wind Tunnels and the Kirby has sat in the closet for the last 6 of those years!!

They also suggested a model from Sears (though I can't remember which one it was - sorry).

One doesn't need to spend the money that some "over advertised" brands demand to get a decent vacuum.

I'll try and find out which issue of CR has the latest report. I would imagine there are some good reviews on the WWW as well...
    -"Must control self"-

Enlightened

No personal experience, but everyone at NASIOC raves about the Dyson.

Flashaholic

I have been using a dyson for two years now. It's the HEPA model (not the root cyclone) and I must say that I'm very happy with it. It was originally used in an appartment, so all it had to do was clean a stone floor, no carpets, but since then we moved and during the move I abused the dyson by having it suck trough sawdust, dirty cement floors, dead bugs, carpets with mud on them and after all that, cleaning it out and starting on laminated wood floors. It survived all that (a bag-using vacuum was tried too, but the bags couldn't stand the sawdust and kept clogging up). The only downside to it is that you need to empty the dustcan outside (couldn't do it in an appartment without garden, so I took it to my parents place). But concerning the cleaning power, it just keeps going no matter what you try to feed it and it really does not lose power when it's getting filled up.

I also have a Dyson that I got from Costco. I give it 2 thumbs up.

Dysons rock! Best vacuum we've ever used.
    Gig'em!

I'm a big skeptic on Dysons being worth the extra coin.

I had a bagless vacuum cleaner didn't like it. It may have something to do with pets - I don't think they work well with pet hair. They also tend to be much messier having to empty the dirt container - you inevitably end up spilling a little. You can let a bag go a lot longer than a bagless before you change it.
    I gave our bagless to my mother - she likes it. I think the moral is if you do light duty vacuuming and don't have pets then bagless might be for you.

As far as losing suction, our bag type Panasonic probably has some reduction in sucking power when the bag's full but I doubt it's perceptible without instrumentation.

I am a big fan of HEPA rated vacuums and also recommend a "Dirt Finder" which basically is a sensor that can tell if stuff is moving through the hose. I think it must sense the static charge. Helps so you know how many passes to do - once is enough in the low traffic areas, sometimes in the high traffic areas it takes a dozen passes before the light goes green.
    The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare.Ē Juma Ikaanga

SF L4, E2E, U2 w/18650 and WXOS, UK Vectra w/LED Mod, THOR 35W HID Mod, 3xTWOH M@G, M@G85, M@G60, HDS EDC60, EDC85 mod, Too many Nichia CS Mods to count.

For get all the hype.

Go to Wally world or Target and get a Eureka Optima for LESS THAN $60.

Not fancy but a great value.

Over the past many years we have had Hoovers, Electrolux, Oreck, Dirt Devil, Kenmore and many others both upright and canister, bagged and bagless. Few ever lived up to their advertising.

My wife is a Domestic Engineer (really she cleans houses). She knows vacuums.

We bought this Optima about a year ago and it is by far the best vacuum we ever bought.

It is small upright light weight, bagless and has a HEPA filter. It is not self propelled. It has all of the standard attachments you would need.

If you donít like it, you can take it back and get a refund, then buy a more expensive one, but I doubt that you will.
    Yea, I have a lot of lights.
    I always need one more...

So it's 3 months later, almost to the day!

The 4870 is still working as well as it did when new and is still just as quiet.

The only problem we've had is getting bags locally, Wal-Mart does not stock them here, although they do sell the vacuum!! Ahhh.....wonderful WallyWorld!!!

Target does stock the bags, although our closest is 70 miles away we picked some up on an out of town trip.

Still highly recommended!

Bill
    Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.
    Benjamin Franklin

Flashaholic*

I have a Panasonic upright that has been doing a great job for about 10 years now. For some reason, those Roombas seem like a scam to me. I can't envision them doing much besides sucking up loose dust in out-of-the-way places like under your bed, etc. Serious vacuum cleaners have powerful motors to develop suction and turn the brushes that kick up the dirt into the air stream. I don't see how a Roomba could compare with those kinds of designs.

Quote Originally Posted by bwaites
    So it's 3 months later, almost to the day!

The 4870 is still working as well as it did when new and is still just as quiet.

The only problem we've had is getting bags locally, Wal-Mart does not stock them here, although they do sell the vacuum!! Ahhh.....wonderful WallyWorld!!!

Target does stock the bags, although our closest is 70 miles away we picked some up on an out of town trip.

Still highly recommended!

Bill
    How many bags did you use in 3 months?

+1 miele

Not managed to kill it yet despite the diy plaster/brick dust etc etc
    Must be getting on for 10 years old.
    When I go to the dump, I mostly see Dysons.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by leduk
    +1 miele
    When I go to the dump, I mostly see Dysons.
    OUCH!! Fortunately, Costco takes them back if they break.

We have had an Oreck for years. Been very happy with it. Took it in for a complete overhaul and cleaning (motor and everything) and new electrical cord (one of the cats ate the cord) for about $150 total and it is as good as new. What I really like about it is that it does a good job and is incredibly light so it is a lot more likely to get used.

Flashaholic*

We have had a Dyson for a few years and love it. Have a yellow lab that sheds a lot and a cat. Sucks up the hair and never slows down. We also have a roomba that we let run automatically when we are at work a couple times a week. Our first floor is all wood floors and that is where we use it. It does ok. Keeps us from having to use the real vac as often. Our church used to have an Oreck and it never picked up stuff like our Dyson does. If we had a dinner there, I always brought the Dyson to pick up what the Oreck left behind.
    Bright Scouter
    Del

If anyone needs Oreck parts right now, let me know. I'm cannibalizing a newer XL to repair my old Commercial.

Enlightened

Miele, there is nothing better. We even have one at my office.

Regarding the Roomba, we have one and like it. It's Achilles heal is long hair. The slick product from USR is the Scooba. Best $300 we have spent in a long, long time.
    Knowledge is useless, itís what you do with it that counts.

Keep the vacuum recommendations coming. I'm still looking for the right unit...

Administrator

Riccar for a canister.

Royal for an upright.

I have 4 cats, 3 birds, and a rabbit. The above mentioned brands do a fantastic job. With a variable speed motor I have not found a better canister vac. than Riccar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast