Fenix switches/realiabilit

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
Any done any testing with the Fenix switches in freezing temperatures? Any thoughts on the Fenix L2T as an emergency light? How waterproof are they?

Could an L2T replace the UK 4AA LED for survival purposes?

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Jack:)

Why should coldness a problem for the switch? If so, you can use the tailcap as twistie.
About waterproofness I have read here, the Fenix lights survived whole programms in a washing machine without any problems.

These are well build lights. I trust them.

Best regards

____
Tom

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd worry more about the batteries freezing. Use lithiums if you're going to be in cold temperatures.

frisco

Enlightened
Yukon_Jack said:
Any done any testing with the Fenix switches in freezing temperatures? Any thoughts on the Fenix L2T as an emergency light? How waterproof are they?

Could an L2T replace the UK 4AA LED for survival purposes?

For known extreme conditions you may not want to trust any switch and opt for a twisty or rely on only one light. Also Lithium batteries are supposed to perform better in both freezing and hot conditions. If I were gonna be in freezing conditions I would carry a couple of well lubed twisties loaded with lithium's.
Fenix just introduced a new twisty based on the L series, or there new Cr123 P1

frisco

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
Re: Fenix switches/realiability

Yes, Yukon_Jack from Alaska is aware that lithium batteries are better in cold weather :)

Depending on the construction of the switch, particulary if it has a rubber type component, extremely cold weather can make them malfunction or just plain not work. You would be amazed at what gizmos you have that won't perform at 20 - 60 below.

Yes, flashlight are normally close enough to one's body that they work just fine, or put under an armpit to warm up - but if left in the car, or inside a pack while camping, they can sure get cold. From my perspective, everything I consider survival stuff gets tested in extreme cold.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
i believe there's a decent amount of plastic in the fenix switch (not a good or bad thing, just is), and temperatures that cold might cause (honestly any) plastic to be brittle.

my suggestion if you are going to be out for extended periods of time in such cold weather is to leave the light on and unscrew the tailcap and operate the light as a twisty. the threads of the fenix are anodized leaving the edges to carry the current, so it is possible to operate the fenix as a twisty on demand.

carrot

Flashaholic
Cold weather saps the power out of alkaline pretty badly. But lithium is only a little bit more cold-resistant. I stuck my A2 in a pile of snow and ran it on new batteries -- dropped out of regulation in about five minutes or so.

InfidelCastro

Banned
I've always thought the lithium for cold weather thing was a bit overdone myself. Yes they perform a little better, but they still don't like the cold either.

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
My experience with lithiums is that they vastly out perform alkies in seriously cold weather. I've also found out that LED lights that are boosted/regulated will take a very cold alkie (very much diminished) and make it appear it is up to snuff. In reality, the alkie is seriously energy impared compared to the lithium.

Also, if you are holding the light for along time, or if the light produces much heat, the alkies will regain a lot of strength just from warming up.

If you want to test lithium v.s. alkies in seriously cold weather, compare performance with an incad direct drive - one with alkies and one with lithiums. Or compare their use in a device that doesn't produce much heat or held in ones hand for long. Just my thoughts.

frisco

Enlightened
Thing that you gotta be concerned about with switches in freezing conditioned mixed with body heat and other temperature changes is condensation. Not good for electrical contacts in general. Compounded with most flashlight switches being semi sealed in a rubber boot.... This tends to trap the condensation in the switch.

frisco